Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Difference between magnets, rough vs polish...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Difference between magnets, rough vs polish...

I want to buy some bar magnets for make some HB pickups, I am trying to find something interesting, lets call it experimentation.
    I found some rough or polished bars, some magnetized some not, some unoriented...
    Which is the difference between them? more gauss? nicer? stronger?
    jairo eduardo suarez gallardo
    mm basses -only exotic woods from Colombia-
    mm basses

The smooth ones sound smooth and the rough ones sound rough. But seriously, I think it's a marketing gimmick for people who have a woody for the "VINTAGE CORRECT" fetish. I would love to see a guitar sommellier do a blind A/B test and distinguish between the two. If they are cheaper then buy them but don't waste your money expecting any noticeable difference.

Comment

It seems like a minute factor that might not have any perceptible difference, but if there is a difference in mass or the magnetic field as a result of having a rough surface it could have an effect on the pickup. Mick, didn't you get one of those sycomp machines? This would be a good way to visually tell if there is a difference between rough and smooth. that doesn't necessarily mean there is an audible difference. There is a third option being offered these days...unoriented or something?

Comment

Originally posted by StarryNight View Post
        Mick, didn't you get one of those sycomp machines?
        Yes I have. But I don't have the magnets yet. I was looking at Addiction-fx on Ebay and I saw those type of Alnico bar magnets they sell. I am curious about it. I would like to know which is the difference to have an idea of where to start my "experiments".
        The only problem I have is that I do not live in the U.S, so I have to be sure about what I am going to buy, sometimes shipping is more expensive that the things I buy.
        jairo eduardo suarez gallardo
        mm basses -only exotic woods from Colombia-
        mm basses

Comment

Originally posted by mickmutante View Post
          Yes I have. But I don't have the magnets yet. I was looking at Addiction-fx on Ebay and I saw those type of Alnico bar magnets they sell. I am curious about it. I would like to know which is the difference to have an idea of where to start my "experiments".
          The only problem I have is that I do not live in the U.S, so I have to be sure about what I am going to buy, sometimes shipping is more expensive that the things I buy.
          I really like the Addiction-fx magnets.
          I really like his rough Alnico 2s.
          His A2 magnets charge a little hotter than other A2s I've tried.
          Great tone.
          I like his A8 magnets as well.
          I thought the A8s had better tone than the A5s.
          I haven't tried his Un-oriented 5s yet.
          Good luck,
          Terry
          "If Hitler invaded Hell, I would make at least a favourable reference of the Devil in the House of Commons." Winston Churchill
          Terry

Comment

I have tried the unoriented Rough A5 magnets from Dennis (Addiction-FX) To me they sound a little better than the smooth polished regular A5's that I have, which came I think from Guitar Jones a while back. I haven't done a magnet swap one for one in the same pickup though. I did just do a one for one swap of a rough A2 from Dennis in a P.A.F. style bridge pickup with one of his unoriented A5's and it moved the resonant peak higher almost 1khz which was quite a bit brighter and closer to what I needed for that one, but not so much to be too edgy for me. On the neck pickup for the same guitar, I kept the A2 which I agree with Terry they sound pretty good. So- +1 and me too on liking the Addiction-FX magnets. I haven't found anybody else with as much variety for offer. I also like the vintage M55 dimensions for a selling point, though I can't tell much difference in the sound compared to M56 dimension smooth for the same alloy.
            www.sonnywalton.com
            How many guitars do you need? Just one more.

Comment

Working...
            X