No announcement yet.

Old Strat Pickups

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Got any certain parts in mind? :P I'm no master on old pickups so I don't know what will be the most telling detail shots to you guys.
    Chris

Comment

They did not start dating pickups until 1964. Before that you kind of have to get an eye for how things evolved and then you can ballpark a manufacture time.

I am soooo glad someone mentioned dipping it alcohol above. I have been spreading that for years and SD has taken it personally as he has taught they are potted in lacquer. Alcohol would have zero affect on lacquer.

So in the future, anyone getting a gray bobbin with the dark "Polysol" windings. You will notice when unwrapping that the winds want to break on the clumps of dry potting material. Dunk the pickup in Denatured alcohol and it will soften right up. If you catch it just right, it will turn to a rubbery substance the coil wire will slice right through.

Comment

Originally posted by Jim Shine View Post
        notice when unwrapping that the winds want to break on the clumps of dry potting material. Dunk the pickup in Denatured alcohol and it will soften right up. If you catch it just right, it will turn to a rubbery substance the coil wire will slice right through.
        If you can't find Denatured alcohol , Methyl hydrate will do the same thing
        "UP here in the Canada we shoot things we don't understand"

Comment

with the dark "Polysol" windings.
          So those 70s era dark wire was Polysol, right ?
          Also was this wire bondable wire (done with alcohol then) or was it dipped in laquer once wound?

I've done some rewind of P bass and J Bass with this kind f wire and to me it would make sense now that it was bondable because both inner and outer winds were stuck together in a way that did not show excess of laquer like it seems to me laquer would have done (and dipping would be the only way to go through to the inner winds through flatwork holes as opposed tu brush, at least like I think about it).

Has anyone here ever tried bondable wire ? If so was it any good ?
          www.bourvonaudiodesign.fr

Comment

Alcohol would have zero affect on lacquer.
            Dunno what alcohol or lacquer you're talking about but my denatured alcohol eats lacquer just fine. Anyone that's spilled an alcoholic drink on a Gibson finds out as well. It isn't a perfect solvent for lacquer, but will definitely mar and soften it.

Comment

Originally posted by Yves View Post
              So those 70s era dark wire was Polysol, right ?
              I believe thats's PE.

Also was this wire bondable wire (done with alcohol then) or was it dipped in laquer once wound?
              I've done some rewind of P bass and J Bass with this kind f wire and to me it would make sense now that it was bondable because both inner and outer winds were stuck together in a way that did not show excess of laquer like it seems to me laquer would have done (and dipping would be the only way to go through to the inner winds through flatwork holes as opposed tu brush, at least like I think about it).

Has anyone here ever tried bondable wire ? If so was it any good ?
              The bass pickups were potted in lacquer. I haven't used any bondable wire.
              It would be possible to describe everything scientifically, but it would make no sense; it would be without meaning, as if you described a Beethoven symphony as a variation of wave pressure. — Albert Einstein

http://coneyislandguitars.com
              www.soundcloud.com/davidravenmoon

Comment

I think dark poly is more common than you probably realize

Comment

Originally posted by copperheadroads View Post
                  Fender used Formvar until March 1964, then switched to plain enamel. They went to poly in the late 60s/70s.

They did use a bondable poly for the Jazzmaster and maybe the bass pickups in the 60s.
                  It would be possible to describe everything scientifically, but it would make no sense; it would be without meaning, as if you described a Beethoven symphony as a variation of wave pressure. — Albert Einstein

Comment

I meant it is used now .By some of the bigger companies in there pickups

Comment

I meant it is used now .By some of the bigger companies in there pickups
                      Oh yeah... <cough>Gibson<cough>

Get black poly and it looks like PE.

Comment

Originally posted by David Schwab View Post
                        I believe thats's PE.
                        Actually that's what I assumed when rewinding these, in any case the OD of the wire better matched the PE I have than the SPN.

Originally posted by David Schwab View Post
                        The bass pickups were potted in lacquer. I haven't used any bondable wire.
                        Thanks for the info about these being potted in lacquer.
                        www.bourvonaudiodesign.fr

Comment

Originally posted by Yves View Post
                          Thanks for the info about these being potted in lacquer.
                          Since writing this, I have read that some of the Fender bass pickups used bondable magnet wire activated with alcohol. I think the Jazzmaster pickups used the same wire. So it might be that instead.

Comment

Working...
                          X