P-90 Height to strings

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• P-90 Height to strings

Can anyone give advice on a good height adjustment for P-90's. The ones I have are humbucker style and have adjusting screws in addition to individual post adjustment. These pick-ups seem to have a very high output for single coils.

Thanks,
    Mike O

Well for a regualr P90 as close to the strings as possible is what the norm is, due to the wide coil you want it close to the strings. The neck is a toss up, I personally adjust the bridge as close as possible to the strings and the neck is just a balancing act to get in balance with the bridge. Possum I think puts both up as high as he can get them. Personal preference you know.

Comment

I like to keep the poles flush with the cover and get it as close as I can to the stings. If you want a brighter tone, raise the poles a bit and lower the pickup a little.
      It would be possible to describe everything scientifically, but it would make no sense; it would be without meaning, as if you described a Beethoven symphony as a variation of wave pressure. — Albert Einstein

http://coneyislandguitars.com
      www.soundcloud.com/davidravenmoon

Comment

Thanks for the info.

Mike O

Comment

Depends on the magnets doesn't it?

Put an A5 equipped P90 too close to the strings and you'll get stratitis.

In any case, always set the maximum height with the strings fretted at the highest fret.
          sigpic Dyed in the wool

Comment

luv 'em

This is my territory and personal gripe with all Asian guitars. Virtually every Asian guitar that has P90s on them have them installed and non-adjustable with the pickups so far below the strings it makes the pickups worthless. I am betting your humbucker style version has ceramic magnets in it and is real bright, most of those aren't thought out very well. They aren't all that great and I quit making mine partly for that reason, though I managed to get a fatter tone in mine than the commercial junk thats out there. Put 'em high as you can, you'll get the fattest tone that way, the more you drop them they start to sound tinny and stupid. If you like P90 tone you should really get a guitar that has real P90s in it they just sound better than the bucker sized ones by far. I always told my customers they are a P90 "style" they are not the real thing and won't do what the real thing will because of the coil size and size limitations in a bucker cover. End of rant, gotta go smoke some more rosewood...
            http://www.SDpickups.com
            Stephens Design Pickups

Comment

Originally posted by Possum View Post
              gotta go smoke some more rosewood...
              Personally I like Maple, it makes me a little more chipper

Comment

Working...
              X