new gibson ccontrol cavity circuit board CRAP

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Possum View Post
    , and some weird mustard cap that sounded terrible. All the caps were the same values yet all sounded radically different. ...
    They must Mojos Dijon caps
    Mojo Capacitors » Mojotone Dijon Coupling Caps 0.022uF @ 630V (22nF = .022uF)
    Any one else try them ?
    I installed one in my Prs soapbar 2 & i think it is a little blan ,compared to an orange drop
    "UP here in the Canada we shoot things we don't understand"

Comment

• Originally posted by copperheadroads View Post
      They must Mojos Dijon caps
      Mojo Capacitors » Mojotone Dijon Coupling Caps 0.022uF @ 630V (22nF = .022uF)
      Any one else try them ?
      I installed one in my Prs soapbar 2 & i think it is a little blan ,compared to an orange drop
      I tried them. I liked them. They were very even, and very clean. There is a weird sort of "beating" I hear with poorly made caps that I can't describe too well and honestly have no idea where it comes from, but it was significantly cleaner in that regard than the mallory 150s. My current hypothesis is that it comes from the quality of the conductor (spray on conductor vs. foil) but I am yet to test it.

Are they polypropylene? That is pretty typical of PP - clean & even, but lacking any "voice". That is sort of how I hear the 715Ps.

Comment

• Originally posted by FunkyKikuchiyo View Post
        I tried them. I liked them. They were very even, and very clean. There is a weird sort of "beating" I hear with poorly made caps that I can't describe too well and honestly have no idea where it comes from, but it was significantly cleaner in that regard than the mallory 150s. My current hypothesis is that it comes from the quality of the conductor (spray on conductor vs. foil) but I am yet to test it.

Are they polypropylene? That is pretty typical of PP - clean & even, but lacking any "voice". That is sort of how I hear the 715Ps.
        The Orange Drops, IMO seem to harsh.
        I like the Amp Type Caps.
        I've used and Like the Mallory 150s and Sozo Caps that I've had Left over from amp builds.
        Terry
        "If Hitler invaded Hell, I would make at least a favourable reference of the Devil in the House of Commons." Winston Churchill
        Terry

Comment

• Originally posted by big_teee View Post
          The Orange Drops, IMO seem to harsh.
          I like the Amp Type Caps.
          I've used and Like the Mallory 150s and Sozo Caps that I've had Left over from amp builds.
          Terry
          I can't tell the difference between mallory 150 and sprague orange drops(the more rounded ones and the more flattened ones), and I've tried...perhaps my ears aren't as good as others.
          Valvulados

Comment

I find them very even & clean as well (maybe a little too even ) & not so harsh as a orange drop ,but kind of lack color ..if that makes any sense
            Mojo Dijon FAQ

Comment

I find them very even & clean as well (maybe a little too even ) & not so harsh as a orange drop ,but kind of lack color ..if that makes any sense
              Mojo Dijon FAQ
              Some time ago I've bought a batch of Mojo Dijons to test. I didn't make an A/B comparison test with their PIO caps, but I've installed'em in several guitars and they sounded just as good to my ears. One guitar of mine it's going to room'em when their p'ups arrive from a rewinding.

Usually, their PIO caps are my standard for guitar modding.
              Pepe aka Lt. Kojak
              Milano, Italy

Comment

• No, it was a "Jupiter Tone" cap, worst thing I've ever heard, have no idea where I got it. PIO's are the way to go for vintage Les Paul tones, ceramics are too harsh, but then again it depends on what pickups you're using, with handwinding a ceramic might help cut thru better. PIO's have a big round tone if you get a good one. I also tried some Dubilier Greenie caps, nice tones, almost kinda Fendery quacky sounding with PAF's.
                http://www.SDpickups.com
                Stephens Design Pickups

Comment

...Are they polypropylene? That is pretty typical of PP - clean & even, but lacking any "voice". That is sort of how I hear the 715Ps.
                  The 716's are polypropylene, the 715s are polyester.

I like the 716s that are pinched (flatter than normal ODs), they sound superb on both guitars and amps IMHO.
                  -Brad

ClassicAmplification.com

Comment

• Originally posted by RedHouse View Post
                    The 716's are polypropylene, the 715s are polyester.

I like the 716s that are pinched (flatter than normal ODs), they sound superb on both guitars and amps IMHO.
                    The 225Ps are the polyester caps, RedHouse... I think the 715P and 716P are the two grades of polypropylene. I'm yet to do a comparison of the two, nor am I sure what the real differences are - spec sheets are ambiguous. Interesting that you're hearing a difference between the two though - tells me I need to try the 716Ps. I don't even think Mouser sells them, so I think I'd have to go with an audio place (and pay too much)... oh well.

Comment

The 225Ps are the polyester caps, RedHouse... I think the 715P and 716P are the two grades of polypropylene. I'm yet to do a comparison of the two, nor am I sure what the real differences are - spec sheets are ambiguous. Interesting that you're hearing a difference between the two though - tells me I need to try the 716Ps. I don't even think Mouser sells them, so I think I'd have to go with an audio place (and pay too much)... oh well.
                      You're so right Funk, sorry 'bout that.

The "P" one is the flatter of the two and I contacted Sprague (when they were the owner/mfr of ODs) and asked them the difference, their reply was that the "P" version was flattened/pinched after rolling (save space on PC boards), otherwise no difference between the 716 and the 716P. IIRC the 716 has real copper leads, 715 plated steel, but that probably has nothing to do with anything tone-wise.

Personally I am of the opinion the flatened (P) one sounds better, can't quantify that, have no proof, it's just an opinion, I use them often, I don't hear that "sterile" thing people talk about, I hear the 716s being more like "accurate" with less "by product".

I don't like a lot of those paper-n-oil caps, I tried several in my 2004 R9 and finally yanked them out. While they do impart some character on the instrument it's not an addition that I like. I prefer the tone caps to only roll-off highs in an instrument and not to impart honk or other resonant vowel like sounds as some seek, I like my instrument's "character" comming from the wood (and the pickups). The best way to test the influence your caps are having on your tone is to disconnect them (or temporarily add a switch, or use a Fender "no-load" pot).

I put a Mojo Dijon into one of my Strat's to try 'em out about 6 months ago, but still can't really say it's any better/worse than a 716P or Mallory 150 or Illinois Capacitor poly so I can't really justify the price, but having said that they aren't as bad ($) as some of the "audio" cap brands. No offence to anyone who likes the Mojo's.
                      Last edited by RedHouse; 10-29-2011, 02:21 PM.
                      -Brad

ClassicAmplification.com

Comment

• Spec sheets seemed to IMPLY that the conductor in the capacitor might be more robust in the 716P than the 715P... like one is metalized and the other is a foil... but it is vague. I had PDFs but I don't seem to have them saved. I had intended to email Vishay about it, but never got around to it. I've never seen anything for sale without the "P", but if you think they perform better I won't worry. Honestly if I ever had space issues I'd be using Wima caps and wouldn't even consider orange drops for a board so it doesn't really matter, but still good to know.

I've had the same experience with PIO. Lots and lots of duds out there and I deemed it not worth my time or effort... though I don't doubt that the good ones sound amazing. I'm not going to chase stuff down on eBay, pay premium prices for something that might turn out to be garbage or tear apart old radios when I can order stuff straight from a catalog that will sound great. I had the same experience with russian military surplus teflon caps. Teflon caps can sound amazingly transparent, but these were absolute garbage. Money and time wasted.

Comment

Spec sheets seemed to IMPLY that the conductor in the capacitor might be more robust in the 716P than the 715P... like one is metalized and the other is a foil... but it is vague. I had PDFs but I don't seem to have them saved. I had intended to email Vishay about it, but never got around to it. I've never seen anything for sale without the "P", but if you think they perform better I won't worry. Honestly if I ever had space issues I'd be using Wima caps and wouldn't even consider orange drops for a board so it doesn't really matter, but still good to know.

I've had the same experience with PIO. Lots and lots of duds out there and I deemed it not worth my time or effort... though I don't doubt that the good ones sound amazing. I'm not going to chase stuff down on eBay, pay premium prices for something that might turn out to be garbage or tear apart old radios when I can order stuff straight from a catalog that will sound great. I had the same experience with russian military surplus teflon caps. Teflon caps can sound amazingly transparent, but these were absolute garbage. Money and time wasted.
                          Have you tried the Sozo Amp Caps?
                          I put them in my amp build and liked them.
                          I Compared the Sozos to the Orange drops, and Mallory 150s I had, and I liked the Sozos best in my LP Copy.
                          They cost a little more money, but I thought they were worth it.
                          Terry
                          "If Hitler invaded Hell, I would make at least a favourable reference of the Devil in the House of Commons." Winston Churchill
                          Terry

Comment

• Originally posted by RedHouse View Post
                            I prefer the tone caps to only roll-off highs in an instrument and not to impart honk or other resonant vowel like sounds as some seek, I like my instrument's "character" comming from the wood (and the pickups). The best way to test the influence your caps are having on your tone is to disconnect them (or temporarily add a switch, or use a Fender "no-load" pot).
                            I think that honk is the best part of a tone control! But you only get that when it's on zero anyway. Use one of those grease buckets if you don't want the resonant boost. The cap does almost nothing when you are on 10, but a no-load or TBX control will brighten things up a little.
                            It would be possible to describe everything scientifically, but it would make no sense; it would be without meaning, as if you described a Beethoven symphony as a variation of wave pressure. — Albert Einstein

http://coneyislandguitars.com
                            www.soundcloud.com/davidravenmoon

Comment

• I just rewired my Gibson 60's tribute les paul with 50's wiring & i used the mojo dijon caps.
                              The stock caps were so tiny ...........God ,I have seen them about the same size in humbuckers , between the coils ( now thats small )
                              Quite the improvement ...........this guitar has very nice cleans now in the neck position ....even though i find mojo the caps more vintage tone ...less drive when playing dirty
                              so I might have to retract my previous message in this thread about these caps being bland
                              One thing i have noticed in reading post on many forums is
                              When players change caps on les pauls they usually change the pots or wiring to 50's wiring
                              & the first thing they say is "what a difference in tone"
                              when in fact just changing the cap without anything else .there is a difference but not enormous

Comment

One thing i have noticed in reading post on many forums is When players change caps on les pauls they usually change the pots or wiring to 50's wiring
                                & the first thing they say is "what a difference in tone" when in fact just changing the cap without anything else .there is a difference but not enormous
                                I think it might be the other way around. I've seen posts where all that was done was changing to the 50s wiring, and then how that makes the guitar brighter.

You have to do one thing or the other to see if it makes a change, not both at the same time.

If you really want to test caps, wire a few different types to a rotary switch, and then play, switch, and listen. It would also be good to do this without knowing which selection is which cap, as to prevent conformation bias. You may be surprised.

My experience is when the tone pot in on 10 that the cap plays almost no role at all in the tone. I also don't hear any difference worth noting between different cap types as long as they are within spec. When a half hour or so goes by between the stock guitar and the rewired guitar, how can you compare what you are hearing? You are going by memory. Use a switch, and then hear the difference in real time.
                                It would be possible to describe everything scientifically, but it would make no sense; it would be without meaning, as if you described a Beethoven symphony as a variation of wave pressure. — Albert Einstein

http://coneyislandguitars.com
                                www.soundcloud.com/davidravenmoon

Comment

Working...
                                X