tv jones classic spec

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Kindly Killer View Post
    I doubt the GFS ones have anything resembling the correct coil shape, because they sound nothing like real 'trons. I was just thinking it would be convenient for me because they have some parts and the convenient mount, and I already wasted my money on them. I'll probably see whether I can get anything for them on eBay. If not I'll hack one up and let you know what I find.
    Sounds like a good Test Subject.
    I did that with a bunch of cheap korean Humbuckers.
    They sounded pretty good If you rewound them and threw away the chrome plated brass cover.
    B_T
    "If Hitler invaded Hell, I would make at least a favourable reference of the Devil in the House of Commons." Winston Churchill
    Terry

Comment

thanks, i´ll continue with the reserch anyway.

Comment

That is the best pickup patent I have ever seen, by far. The guy knew what he was talking about. Yes, it is just a small humbucker, but he knew how to reduce eddy currents, how to keep the resonance above 20 KHz if desired, and how to use partial blades on the high frequency strings to eliminate the sensitivity to horizontal motion that results in harmonics (the "frequency doubling" that I have discussed). As to how they sound, that is hard to say because they could have been wound to resonate wherever someone wanted, just as a regular humbucker can. But the closer spacing between the two rows of pole pieces would make a significant difference, especially for the lower frequency strings.

Comment

Originally posted by Mike Sulzer View Post
          ...and how to use partial blades on the high frequency strings to eliminate the sensitivity to horizontal motion that results in harmonics (the "frequency doubling" that I have discussed).
          Which is the same thing discussed in the Bartolini patents. He used wide flat tops (partial blades) on the poles to do the same thing. He wanted to sense the vertical motion of the string more than the horizontal.

But I agree, the Butts design is very clever and well thought out.
          It would be possible to describe everything scientifically, but it would make no sense; it would be without meaning, as if you described a Beethoven symphony as a variation of wave pressure. — Albert Einstein

http://coneyislandguitars.com
          www.soundcloud.com/davidravenmoon

Comment

Originally posted by David Schwab View Post
            Which is the same thing discussed in the Bartolini patents. He used wide flat tops (partial blades) on the poles to do the same thing. He wanted to sense the vertical motion of the string more than the horizontal.

But I agree, the Butts design is very clever and well thought out.
            You are right, the goal was certainly similar. But I do not think he achieved it with wide individual pole pieces.

Comment

I have found some info:

126-150 - Seymour Duncan

Here in this page, in point 134, talk about the 3000 turn of the pickup and the 42 wire that is the same that posted
              kindly killer about the vintage filtertron.

Filtertron Pickup Impedance Registry (Gretsch & TV Jones): Pickups: The Gretsch Pages

Here talk about the impedance that is similar of the vintage filtertron pickup, again, from kindly killer posted.

Replacement for Gretsch® Filtertron™-Original Specifications - Seymour Duncan Specialized

Here is the replacement for gretsch filtertron from seymour duncan, again, similar impedance and have the string
              spacing spec from the original.

Vince Gordon's Tips on Rockabilly Guitar

ANd in this article, talk about the sound of the "90" filtertrons that have ceramic magnets and sound "muddy" maybe
              again, this is the same kidnly killer posted about "standard filtertrons" that have more impedance and have ceramic
              magnets.

About all this info i think probably tv jones have the "vintage filtertron" spec to make his pickups, because in
              this day, the tv jones classic have(probably):

- 3000 turn per coil

- 4k impedance

- 42 awg

Maybe the magnet dimension, is right.

Comment

Maybe this will help you....not sure if it is correct or not...just something I had gathered over the years....

Greg
                Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Mike Sulzer View Post
                  You are right, the goal was certainly similar. But I do not think he achieved it with wide individual pole pieces.
                  Well his goal was to sound similar to an acoustic instrument, and I think he succeeded there. Those old Hi-A pickups sounded very different from other underwound pickups like a Filtertron.
                  It would be possible to describe everything scientifically, but it would make no sense; it would be without meaning, as if you described a Beethoven symphony as a variation of wave pressure. — Albert Einstein

http://coneyislandguitars.com
                  www.soundcloud.com/davidravenmoon

Comment

i was reading the patent and i found about in page 3 point 40, this 2 partial blades can by replaced, using the screws bridged with a pieces of iron or using to fittings, what is fittings?
                    Maybe tv jones do that but where did he put the iron? i can`t see them maybe is in the coil?

Comment

Working...
                    X