Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

StewMac 'bucker Bobbins (different specs)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• StewMac 'bucker Bobbins (different specs)

Heads up!

These are no longer 50mm, they are 49.2mm.

Bastards changed specs without announcement. So...my covers don't fit.

Nice bobbins nonetheless.

Hi Poorman

The Stewmac bobbins have been 49.2 for at least 2 years if not longer.

Cheers

Andrew
    Originally posted by PoorMan View Post
    Heads up!

These are no longer 50mm, they are 49.2mm.

Bastards changed specs without announcement. So...my covers don't fit.

Nice bobbins nonetheless.

Comment

Seriously? I must have been working off an old supply for a very long time.

So much for my breaking news.

Well their website says "1 31/32" string spacing"...that's 50mm.

Comment

I called and told them the specs are wrong. The guy argued with me at first and said it was correct. Anyway, I made him recheck his math and they are going to fix the description on the website.

Comment

I bought several kits back in 09, and they were 50mm Then.
          If they are going to sell them as PAF Type parts, like they do, they need to be 49.2mm.
          So sounds like a better deal now.
          So is that just loose bobbins, or are the Kits also 49.2?
          IMO Their kits are too expensive.
          B_T
          "If Hitler invaded Hell, I would make at least a favourable reference of the Devil in the House of Commons." Winston Churchill
          Terry

Comment

Originally posted by big_teee View Post
            I bought several kits back in 09, and they were 50mm Then.
            If they are going to sell them as PAF Type parts, like they do, they need to be 49.2mm.
            So sounds like a better deal now.
            So is that just loose bobbins, or are the Kits also 49.2?
            IMO Their kits are too expensive.
            B_T
            Good question, Big Tee. I don't buy the kits. I just got loose black bobbins. But I would assume the bobbins in the kit are the same. I wonder what the spacing is on the baseplates now? I wouldn't be too surprised if they were still 50mm.

The guy insisted the bobbins have never changed, but like you said, I KNOW they were once 50mm.

Does anyone else sell these 50mm bobbins? Mojo's 50mm have the square cutoff at the edges of the bottom of the bobbin...that robs winding space. I also prefer the solid core on the StewMac bobbins.

Comment

Good question, Big Tee. I don't buy the kits. I just got loose black bobbins. But I would assume the bobbins in the kit are the same. I wonder what the spacing is on the baseplates now? I wouldn't be too surprised if they were still 50mm.

The guy insisted the bobbins have never changed, but like you said, I KNOW they were once 50mm.

Does anyone else sell these 50mm bobbins? Mojo's 50mm have the square cutoff at the edges of the bottom of the bobbin...that robs winding space. I also prefer the solid core on the StewMac bobbins.
              I like these.
              http://www.guitarpartsusa.com/item--...Style--PROD436
              They are similar to the Mojos, Instead of the flat end, they have a notch.
              They are large and You can put a lot of wire on them if your doing overwound pickups.
              They are not butyrate bobbins.
              I just buy the screw bobbins, I drill them out if I want a Slug bobbin.
              They make both types though.
              Also worth mentioning, they only ship in the U.S.
              Good Luck,
              Terry
              "If Hitler invaded Hell, I would make at least a favourable reference of the Devil in the House of Commons." Winston Churchill
              Terry

Comment

Hi Poorman

I always used the stewmac bobbins as 49.2 mm (benefits of the metric system) They are the same as the montreaux parts, however Montreaux also makes them in all cream, slug and screw. As a kit the stewmac humbuckers are a bit pricey but I recently got a pile of baseplates from allparts uk that were chucked into a jiffy bag with no protection and spent a day rubbing the sratches out of them. Stewmac next time unless someone in Europe comes out with some. Mr Candy????

Cheers

Andrew
                QUOTE=PoorMan;236823]I called and told them the specs are wrong. The guy argued with me at first and said it was correct. Anyway, I made him recheck his math and they are going to fix the description on the website.[/QUOTE]

Comment

Originally posted by big_teee View Post
                  I like these.
                  Guitar Pickup Bobbin - Gibson® Style
                  They are similar to the Mojos, Instead of the flat end, they have a notch.
                  They are large and You can put a lot of wire on them if your doing overwound pickups.
                  They are not butyrate bobbins.
                  I just buy the screw bobbins, I drill them out if I want a Slug bobbin.
                  They make both types though.
                  Also worth mentioning, they only ship in the U.S.
                  Good Luck,
                  Terry
                  huh.... that reinds me ......I wonder if the bobbins that Addiction-fx sell ,are the same as the bobbins that Guitarpartsusa offer
                  i have a set of Addicton-fx bobbins here & they do have the notch in the end & are taller than Mojo bobbins ....The set i have here are 52mm spacing i do believe
                  "UP here in the Canada we shoot things we don't understand"

Comment

They have never had any other bobbins for HB's aside fromt eh one they have always carried.
                    They have always been 49.2mm.

Comment

Not To Beat a Dead Horse, but the Kits in 09 were 50mm I bought several of them.
                      Maybe they bought them pre-essembled from someone, or some where else!
                      B_T
                      Terry

Comment

The kits are 50mm. I have one here and just measured it. I'd also assume they are the same as the loose bobbins.

It's possible their supplier changed them and they didn't know it.

PoorMan, the solution is don't use covers! They mess up the tone anyway.
                        Last edited by David Schwab; 12-26-2011, 03:48 PM.
                        It would be possible to describe everything scientifically, but it would make no sense; it would be without meaning, as if you described a Beethoven symphony as a variation of wave pressure. — Albert Einstein

http://coneyislandguitars.com
                        www.soundcloud.com/davidravenmoon

Comment

I just ordered them, and my 50mm stuff fits them perfectly. Covers and all. They do not fit my 49.2 stuff.
                          Shut up and play

Peace and Tone The Rain Mann

Comment

Originally posted by WolfeMacleod View Post
                            They have never had any other bobbins for HB's aside fromt eh one they have always carried.
                            They have always been 49.2mm.
                            No. I am certain they had 50mm before. I still have some in my posession.

Comment

Originally posted by David Schwab View Post
                              PoorMan, the solution is don't use covers! They mess up the tone anyway.

Comment

Working...
                              X