Go tall!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by David Schwab View Post
    Thin steel is better than thick for retaining highs. Laminated steel is several thin layers glued together, and the layers do not touch each other... they are insulated from one another. This is to help eliminate eddy currents.

You can also cut slots in the bar. This breaks up the contiguous surface area and breaks up the eddies.

Winding on the low side like that will let you get good high end. The inductance becomes and issue when you wind a lot of wire.

Having said that, I did a 14.4K, 3.75" wide humbucker for a 9 string guitar would with 43 ga. It had dual 1/8" steel rails, and a 2" X .75" X 3/16" ceramic magnet. It got a decent top end, and actually sounded kind of Stratty when wired in parallel.
    thanks, ive got some information now to figure out how i want to do things, now comes the thinking.

Comment

You'll want to ditch the metal underneath, like Schwab said. WInd with Double, or triple build 43. This will help with coil shape, as I am a firm believer in coil shape. There should be room left on the bobbin to hit your lower ohms. You will notice a nice top crack, with a nice pronounced lowend, and a rich vocal lowmid. the highs will be there. I would start with a normal single coil. If you like the look of the blades, have at it. Make sure and keep the coil shape strait, from top to bottom- no bulges.
      BTW, LOL, are you out to cut Glass? if you are............

Comment

Originally posted by NightWinder View Post
        You'll want to ditch the metal underneath, like Schwab said. WInd with Double, or triple build 43. This will help with coil shape, as I am a firm believer in coil shape. There should be room left on the bobbin to hit your lower ohms. You will notice a nice top crack, with a nice pronounced lowend, and a rich vocal lowmid. the highs will be there. I would start with a normal single coil. If you like the look of the blades, have at it. Make sure and keep the coil shape strait, from top to bottom- no bulges.
        BTW, LOL, are you out to cut Glass? if you are............
        thanks for that, the wire i have is an odd size (0.06, between 42 and 43), but it was 1.6kg as opposed to 4kg for the 42 they had and that worked out well for me, as it will probably take about 15-20 pickups to get through this. ill probably just use this, then ill get some others when i start to get low on this stock. how does the double/triple build effect the coil shape? does it just give the wire more stiffness making it work better?

as for the glass cutting tone, i am kinda going for a so clear its harsh sound so yeah. ive been listenign to alot of jesus lizard and shellac who use travis bean guitars which have aluminium through necks (effectively). i know i cant add the harmonics in, but i am going to try and accentuate them through a bright pickup with strong magnets (the magnets will be p90 style or similarly below the pickup to effect the string minimally. i have started making guitars and want to make an aluminium necked one when i get a chance.

Comment

You'll want to ditch the metal underneath, like Schwab said.
          Oh yeah, good point... I had no base plate on mine. It was built into a plastic EMG-40 style bass pickup case.

WInd with Double, or triple build 43.
          That would have been a good idea. I only had single build poly 43.
          It would be possible to describe everything scientifically, but it would make no sense; it would be without meaning, as if you described a Beethoven symphony as a variation of wave pressure. — Albert Einstein

http://coneyislandguitars.com
          www.soundcloud.com/davidravenmoon

Comment

Originally posted by black_labb View Post
            ive been listenign to alot of jesus lizard and shellac who use travis bean guitars which have aluminium through necks (effectively).
            You know those Travis Bean guitars used Fender Wide Range humbuckers... they just made new brass covers for them. They just bent and soldered the brass and had it plated.
            It would be possible to describe everything scientifically, but it would make no sense; it would be without meaning, as if you described a Beethoven symphony as a variation of wave pressure. — Albert Einstein

Comment

Well, think? 42 single, 42 double. You wont get as much on the coil as single build. Using 43 double, same thing, higher ohm than 42. 43 single will be too small of a coil at that ohm. 43 double will fill the bobbin up more, therefor seeing more of the string field. See the repetitiveness....opt for around 7.5k with 43 d, and dont go haywire with the scatter. This is a common mistake when one first starts out. get good seperation between the layers, but try not to duplicate the Grand Canyon!!

Comment

Originally posted by David Schwab View Post
                You know those Travis Bean guitars used Fender Wide Range humbuckers... they just made new brass covers for them. They just bent and soldered the brass and had it plated.
                i was thinking of the tb500 ones with the single coil (p90 style i guess)

Comment

True, but I don't think changes in self-capacitance are all that important in practice, as the coil capacitance is generally swamped by the capacitance of the cable from guitar to amp.
                  I really dont think so, otherwise scatterwinding would change the sound either. because scatterwinding is mostly decreasing capacitance

Comment

Originally posted by rocket View Post
                    I really dont think so, otherwise scatterwinding would change the sound either. because scatterwinding is mostly decreasing capacitance
                    Scattering could also be affecting mutual inductance?

Comment

Working...
                    X