newbie needing enlightenment

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• newbie needing enlightenment

Hi Guys. Confession time, after over 20yrs of guitar building here in UK plus the odd pickup rewind I suddenly hear of paper bobbins for loose coils not wound on manufactured bobbins or magnets. I've allways built Perspex/lucite formers but sometimes end up with difficulty slipping coils off after potting but a paper former should make life easier so what's the normal construction method or am I being stupid and should just get on with it. Jonson

It sounds like you're asking about winding air coils with no bobbin? If so, I suggest you talk to Adeson since he's in the UK and does the Burns Tri-Sonic style pickups on the old Burns machines. Maybe he can give you some advice? His site is below. Essentially if you're trying to wind an air coil, you need a collapsible former for the wire to wind around, and then you collapse the former from the inside of the coil after you have the coil taped. If you're not trying to wind air coil pickups, then pardon my misunderstanding.

Greg

http://www.adeson.co.uk/

Comment

Hi Soundmaster. Yes youv'e got it. The origional pickups I am reproducing were wound on plastic formers which are not around anymore so this is gonna be the only way to do this one. Thanks for the reply and I will give the man a call.
      Jonson

Comment

Glad I gave you some info that will help. I hope Ade can help you. He was very nice to me a couple years back when I got some pickups from him and had some general questions about the process.

Greg

Comment

I'll give him a call tomorrow and purchase a couple of his fenton pu's for an oldie thats been lying in the corner for years minus bits and may sweeten him up at same time.Many thanks once again.
          Jonson(Steve)

Comment

Thats funny. Sweeten him up. Logical, lol (steve)

Comment

Hi Greg.
              called ade and talked but he can't help me unless he does the job himself.
              Doesn't use collapsables but has a genuine aircoil winder with the formers so could be a help to others as well. I'll be back in touch with him Nice guy.
              Jonson.

Comment

Working...
              X