Possible reasons for noisy single coils

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Possible reasons for noisy single coils

Like it says , I don't mean from an interference point of view I mean from the pickup itself , bad winding techniques/ shorts? anthing to really watch for with regards to making sure it's not excessive? or is it more to do with the guitar/shielding/wiring etc

Mick

Originally posted by mick View Post
    Like it says , I don't mean from an interference point of view I mean from the pickup itself, bad winding techniques/ shorts? Anything to really watch for with regards to making sure it's not excessive? Or is it more to do with the guitar/shielding/wiring etc.
    Make sure that the magnets and strings et al are grounded (everything metal), so when the musician touches them, no hum is heard.

Comment

What about strat pickups? are the mags on these supposed to be grounded too?

Mick

Comment

magnets

yes they are when you use the coil start as the ground side of the coil, these get connected to the back of your pots which are the ground.....
        http://www.SDpickups.com
        Stephens Design Pickups

Comment

Originally posted by mick View Post
          What about strat pickups? are the mags on these supposed to be grounded too?
          They should be grounded. But they usually aren't. Besides humming when you touch them, they act as antennas.

Stick some copper tape on the bottom touching the magnets and ground it.
          It would be possible to describe everything scientifically, but it would make no sense; it would be without meaning, as if you described a Beethoven symphony as a variation of wave pressure. — Albert Einstein

http://coneyislandguitars.com
          www.soundcloud.com/davidravenmoon

Comment

Thanks , it was a curiosity thing more than anything and I'm not sure I understand how you can earth the mags on a strat without having a short? I mean if one didn't do like David suggested....

Mick

Comment

Originally posted by Possum View Post
              yes they are when you use the coil start as the ground side of the coil, these get connected to the back of your pots which are the ground.....
              Assuming you have shorted to the magnets? It is better to have the ground potential near the magnets... so even if you tape them, it's good to have the ground on the inside of the coil, assuming you have grounded your magnets.
              It would be possible to describe everything scientifically, but it would make no sense; it would be without meaning, as if you described a Beethoven symphony as a variation of wave pressure. — Albert Einstein

http://coneyislandguitars.com
              www.soundcloud.com/davidravenmoon

Comment

The magnets of Tele pickups often touch the baseplate so they are grounded via the mount screws touching both plate and bridge, and the bridge is grounded. So I don't see how grounding the mags would be a problem.

Comment

Working...
                X