All The Newbie Posters Here

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by PoorMan View Post
    On a 'bucker...When I run braided wire under the screw bobbin the bobbin doesn't sit flat--it leans back a little. Anyone else experience this?
    Mine sit flat.
    It would be possible to describe everything scientifically, but it would make no sense; it would be without meaning, as if you described a Beethoven symphony as a variation of wave pressure. — Albert Einstein

http://coneyislandguitars.com
    www.soundcloud.com/davidravenmoon

Comment

Id have to say...one of the 2. One crooked screw...man that shoe is gonna fight ya...Just look everything over carfully.
      (Wolfe) We are solid..

Comment

Originally posted by NightWinder View Post
        Id have to say...one of the 2. One crooked screw...man that shoe is gonna fight ya...Just look everything over carfully.
        I think it probbaly is one of the 2 scenarios you mentioned. I was so concerned with not breaking the leads during assembly that I didn't pay attention to the bobbins being straight or not. It's off just a little bit so it doesn't bother me much, but I still want to improve with each pickup.

THANKS!

Comment

I would like to say it has been a real pleasure reading some of your posts, and by all means, continue to. You guys are eagar and hungry for knowledge and steped right in with great ideas. Enjoy the forum, Its here for you.
          Thanks for that. This forum is a great place to learn.

Comment

25k??? Thats my "realistate"...LOL

Comment

Absolutly. The more you do, the more you'll get in your groove...Its all trial and error...error mostly. You'll quickly recognise errors that cost ya, and those that wont, like totally disinegrating a freshly wound coil because of a sucure lead that was'nt unfastend. Looking at it, admiring it- wow...it so even, it so.....hey, wheres the lead? That is pickup winding in its finest!!! I still ctch myself sometimes doing that, although I will say when your winding, Move SLOW.....I guess thats the best I could say

Comment

HIYA fellas! SERIOUS NOOB HERE.......

Hi.
                Im Ben, I have an itch to learn. I would love to be able to make my own pickups sometime in the near future and I have really no idea where to start.. If any of you all could guide me Id really appreciate it! I have some woodworking experience and am also planning on making a solid body guitar soon. I am a big Strat fan and I have leanings in that general design style. I am going to use Black walnut and a couple other American hardwoods.. Perhaps Hickory for the neck.. Ive always loved Hickory for many reasons ( Not the least of which is its delicious meat flavoring abilities.. ) and either cherry for the fretboard or perhaps Black oak. I am in Northern Ca and there is a good deal of Black oak in this part of the country , its a beautiful hard wood.
                I am also in the process of having a proto-type of an electric guitar bridge built..
                Ah sooo many projects so little $$$$!

Later gang!
                and much thanks!
                Ben

Comment

On a 'bucker...When I run braided wire under the screw bobbin the bobbin doesn't sit flat--it leans back a little. Anyone else experience this?
                  You can cram a little chunk of a wood or plastic spacer in there to keep it up level with the magnet. Or you can put a few layers of coil tape over the braid wire to shore it up.

Comment

Originally posted by WolfeMacleod View Post
                    If I may add something..

...and despite my earlier exhanges with Nightwinder, I really am a nice guy.
                    Untill someone pisses me off. It's in my Scottish nature.

But..I think (and hope) we're OK now.

..for now.
                    Remember, if it's not Scottish...

IT'S CRRRAAAAAPPPP!!!!

Comment

I 2nd that. Break out the Claymores and have a Scotch on the ROCKS!!!

Have any of you been to Scotland? I spent holiday in Scotland in 1999 and it was awesome. I highly recommend it. If you're interested, drop me a line and i'll give you a great itenerary...the one i followed.

My next trip to the UK is to Wales to go castle hopping....some of the best castles in the world ....if you're into that.

Hey Spence....when I do, i'll stop by for a visit.
                      www.guitarforcepickups.com

Comment

Its all trial and error...error mostly.
                        Indeed!

Comment

Originally posted by Zhangliqun View Post
                          You can cram a little chunk of a wood or plastic spacer in there to keep it up level with the magnet.
                          I've did that on my first 'bucker. It worked great, but I want to get away from it.

Comment

Why if it works?

Comment

Originally posted by Zhangliqun View Post
                              Why if it works?
                              I don't have a good reason...I'm just being a slave to tradition.

Comment

I don't have a good reason...I'm just being a slave to tradition.
                                Bah! I hate assembling Gibson style humbuckers! They never would have made them that way today! All those wires to cram in there! I wound a few of the suckers figuring I'll sell them to finance my R&D... fageddaboutit! Made my hair more gray than it is already!

You guys have more patience than I do, that's for sure!

I can see why some pickup makers are using PC boards on the bottoms of the pickups... just attach the bobbins to the PCB and solder the wires to the traces!

Bill Lawrence had a nice setup on his pickups... each bobbin had small metal solder terminals on each end.
                                It would be possible to describe everything scientifically, but it would make no sense; it would be without meaning, as if you described a Beethoven symphony as a variation of wave pressure. — Albert Einstein

http://coneyislandguitars.com
                                www.soundcloud.com/davidravenmoon

Comment

Working...
                                X