Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wooden flatwork and tele baseplates

Hi all,

Anyone tried wooden flatwork for pickups?
    I have a lot of really nice figured wood off cuts that have no other use.

I will make up a template and do a few at once.

Also where is the best place to get tele baseplates. I wish addiction-fx would sell them and answer emails.

By the way, its my first post. I am knew here, joined up today. I am from Austraya (Australia).

Welcome to the asylum MBP good to see another Aussie in the mix. (New member golden rule) use the search facility (top right) as many posts on wooden bobbins and flatwork dealt with here and most very successful. Pickup makers sticky at top of page will give you loads of links like Mojo and Stewmac for your baselates allthough the way things are now with most stockholders on backorder the sooner you make your own the better you will be.

Comment

Hi jonson,

thanks for that. Seems like a great place with plenty of info.

I tried searching a few times and was unsuccessful.

I will give it another go, if I still have no luck what would you recommend I search for?
      EDIT: Dont worry all good. I was searching for wooden bobbins and a few others. I tried wood bobbins and got a good list of threads. Will check them out tomorrow.

I would like to make as much as possible myself, I am not considering (yet) buying rod magnets and cutting them myself though when they can be bought so cheap. But will give the base plates and the rest ago.

thanks a lot.
      Last edited by MBP; 02-26-2012, 09:38 AM.

Comment

One of the benefits of wood is that it is inherently stiffer than most other bobbin materials. If you start with a block and drill the holes all the way through you can just slice off as many pieces as you need -all predrilled.

Comment

I was using laser cut wood for flatwork for a particular pickup for a while. The one problem is it tends to split. I use plastic and forbon now.
          It would be possible to describe everything scientifically, but it would make no sense; it would be without meaning, as if you described a Beethoven symphony as a variation of wave pressure. — Albert Einstein

http://coneyislandguitars.com
          www.soundcloud.com/davidravenmoon

Comment

I've seen people post on here their pictures of pickups wound on wood and they look great. I'm sure it is fairly easy to do if you're used to working with wood, but I am yet to hear people report back on how they held up over time which is where my concern would be.

Comment

Some work I want to share:
              Click image for larger version

Name:	WoodbuckerParts.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	520.2 KB
ID:	824481
              Click image for larger version

Name:	WoodbuckerComplete.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	517.1 KB
ID:	824482