forbon HB baseplates - cool!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• forbon HB baseplates - cool!

not your typical baseplate: Mojo Pickup Parts » Mojotone Fiberboard Humbucker Frame 50mm (1.97'')

I'll have to order a few to try out. Anyone try these?

I'm trying some out. I assembled the pickup but haven't wound it yet. I had to modify them a little to work with the blade bobbins.
    It would be possible to describe everything scientifically, but it would make no sense; it would be without meaning, as if you described a Beethoven symphony as a variation of wave pressure. — Albert Einstein

http://coneyislandguitars.com
    www.soundcloud.com/davidravenmoon

Comment

Looks interesting, wonder if they will hold up?

I'm speaking of the 3-56 screw hole, being a small screw and what with a HB being much heavier than an SC and the spring pushing and all...

{Edit} Opps, I mean 3-48 (silly wabbit)
      Last edited by RedHouse; 03-05-2012, 08:06 PM.
      -Brad

ClassicAmplification.com

Comment

I thought HB screws were 3-48, are they really 3-56?

Comment

I use 4x40x1-1/4" Stainless from Micro.
          Use a 4x40 Tap.
          Used Them for a couple of years on HBs.
          They would work fine with the forbon.
          T
          "If Hitler invaded Hell, I would make at least a favourable reference of the Devil in the House of Commons." Winston Churchill
          Terry

Comment

The screws at Stew-Mac are 3-48.
            It would be possible to describe everything scientifically, but it would make no sense; it would be without meaning, as if you described a Beethoven symphony as a variation of wave pressure. — Albert Einstein

Comment

Originally posted by David Schwab View Post
              I'm trying some out. I assembled the pickup but haven't wound it yet. I had to modify them a little to work with the blade bobbins.
              How much do they have to be altered for the blade bobbins? Just a long, blade-shaped cut so the bottom of the blade can get stuck in it?
              Pickup prototype checklist: [x] FR4 [x] Cu AWG 42 [x] Neo magnets [x] Willpower [ ] Time - Winding suspended due to exams.

Originally posted by David Schwab
              Then you have neos... which is a fuzzy bunny wrapped in barbed wire.

Comment

Originally posted by Stealth View Post
                How much do they have to be altered for the blade bobbins? Just a long, blade-shaped cut so the bottom of the blade can get stuck in it?
                I was talking about the humbucker baseplate. It needs four screw holes to attach the bobbins to the baseplate.

For the Strat rail pickups with the larger bobbins, the rectangular opening on the bottom is too narrow to fit the magnet/blades used. That's because the blades on that pickup are farther apart than the one with the smaller bobbins. Tom said he's working on fixing that.

Mojo does custom laster cutting, and I just got some bobbin parts made. Now I think I'm going to have some more parts made that way.

Comment

I have built a PAF Based humbucker set using them and it worked pretty well. The threads hold up fine. I am using 4-40 SS Screws.

I didn't like having to solder the ground to the keeper bar but it worked. There is some added voodoo as the forbon base reduce eddy currents

Currently I am in the process of designing a new pickup to use them as it is not for PAF purists.

BTW - Tom Anderson has used forbon baseplates forever...
                  aka R.A.D --
                  Guitar Logistics

Comment

Originally posted by restorationad View Post
                    BTW - Tom Anderson has used forbon baseplates forever...
                    The entire Tom Anderson pickup is made from forbon:

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC04220.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	55.7 KB
ID:	824452Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC04219.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	61.6 KB
ID:	824453

Comment

That looks really cool! I may have to try these out sometime soon. If anyone has any experience with these, what are the tonal implications for using forbon rather than nickel plates? Also, what would it do to the sound or electronic interactions if i chose not to use a ground wire?

Comment

Working...
                      X