Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cutting flatwork to fit a rail

Hey guys,

Im planning to make some rail pups using sheet flatwork and wrapping the coil directly around the blade (not having the blade surrounded by a plastic bobbin). Ive been brainstorming a few ways to accurately and easily cut that slot a bunch of times. Best way I can think of is using a dremel with a router base attachment with a router cutter the same thickness as the blade and a simple straight line jig to do it. Im just wondering if anyone has an alternative idea to do this or has any experience.

Thanks,

Dave

I tried this a bunch of different ways, including with a Dremel with the router base (used it upside down like a router table), and was never happy with the results. I just started making a pickup built like this so I went and had the flatwork laser cut by Mojo Music. It's actually pretty cheap. Of course if you are only doing a few pickups it's expensive.
    It would be possible to describe everything scientifically, but it would make no sense; it would be without meaning, as if you described a Beethoven symphony as a variation of wave pressure. — Albert Einstein

http://coneyislandguitars.com
    www.soundcloud.com/davidravenmoon

Comment

Thanks for the reply David. I thought about getting them lasered but the thing is that I want to do this on a few different shape pickups plus on plastic covers too which would mean Id need a load of parts lasered. I figured If I could do it myself then I have more freedom to try it on a whole load of applications.

There is actually a router table attatchment for Dremels that I like the idea of but lots of reviews mention that it isn't very stable..

What were you not happy with when you did it yourself?

Comment

Originally posted by davos View Post
        What were you not happy with when you did it yourself?
        Dremels have a bit of play in the shaft, so I was not able to get a clean straight slot. My Dremel is also about 20 years old! Maybe it would work better with a larger router, but I really didn't have time to mess with it. I make so many parts as it is, I was happy to have some of them made for me. When I was making less pickups it didn't matter, but now it's becoming a real time saver. And it's pretty cheap.

But give it a try and see what you get.
        It would be possible to describe everything scientifically, but it would make no sense; it would be without meaning, as if you described a Beethoven symphony as a variation of wave pressure. — Albert Einstein

http://coneyislandguitars.com
        www.soundcloud.com/davidravenmoon

Comment

I use a drill press and cross feed table. Dremel router bits work fine. I drill holes side by side on the slot and just clean the slot with the router bit.
          Marko

Comment

Working...
          X