3 x Humbucker Gibsons...magnet orientations

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 3 x Humbucker Gibsons...magnet orientations

OK, I have a 72ish SG Custom with 3 humbuckers that a customer has left with me to overhaul.

It did have some work done some years ago, and the owner is vague but he thinks they "remagnetised the pickups"

Nicely, they didn't resolder the covers back on, but epoxied the whole lot back together

Now when I play it, it sounds phasey and odd with the middle pickup engaged

So I've taken the 3 pickups off and this is what I get

Neck
    Screw poles - N
    Slug - S

Middle
    Screw poles - S
    Slug N

Bridge
    Slugs - S
    Screw poles - N

The above shows the orientation of the pickups also with the bridge screw poles facing the bridge, the neck screw poles close to the neck and the middle screw poles facing the neck, so basically two "normal" pickups with the N at the screw poles, and the middle reverse polarity.

Is this right, I don't see any reason why they shouldn't all be screw poles Ns?

On those three pickup guitars the middle pickup was usually out of phase with the other two. So the middle position on the switch was the middle and bridge pickup. This gave a thin bright tone. I guess it was their way to try and sound like a Fender. The pickups came from Gibson that way, and with the epoxy.

I had a girlfriend back in the 70s with one of those SGs. She hated that setting and never used it, so I swapped the middle with the neck pickup. If the pickups were not sealed with epoxy I would have flipped the magnet around on the middle pickup to put it back in phase with the other two.
    It would be possible to describe everything scientifically, but it would make no sense; it would be without meaning, as if you described a Beethoven symphony as a variation of wave pressure. — Albert Einstein

http://coneyislandguitars.com
    www.soundcloud.com/davidravenmoon

Comment

Yup, thats the kiddy David, so interesting whoever told him they "remagnetised the pickups" would have been bullshitting, or could they pump gauss down the poles?

Whats usual with buckers, N up or S up?

Originally posted by David Schwab View Post
      On those three pickup guitars the middle pickup was usually out of phase with the other two. So the middle position on the switch was the middle and bridge pickup. This gave a thin bright tone. I guess it was their way to try and sound like a Fender. The pickups came from Gibson that way, and with the epoxy.

I had a girlfriend back in the 70s with one of those SGs. She hated that setting and never used it, so I swapped the middle with the neck pickup. If the pickups were not sealed with epoxy I would have flipped the magnet around on the middle pickup to put it back in phase with the other two.

Comment

The screw poles are usually South, and the slugs are North.
        It would be possible to describe everything scientifically, but it would make no sense; it would be without meaning, as if you described a Beethoven symphony as a variation of wave pressure. — Albert Einstein

Comment

The screw poles are usually South, and the slugs are North.
          I've just checked about a dozen pickups with a compass and the screw poles are all reading North apart from one Epi Dot neck pickup which is S up????

Comment

Well, if I remember right, the North end of a compass needle is magnetised north and is attracted to things with south polarity. Such as the earth's magnetic north pole, oddly enough.
            "Enzo, I see that you replied parasitic oscillations. Is that a hypothesis? Or is that your amazing metal band I should check out?"

Comment

Originally posted by Ratae Corieltauvorum View Post
              I've just checked about a dozen pickups with a compass and the screw poles are all reading North apart from one Epi Dot neck pickup which is S up????
              Like Steve said, the compass needle points to a south magnetic pole. So the screws are magnetic South, and so is the Earth's North magnetic pole.

Comment

Originally posted by Steve Conner View Post
                Well, if I remember right, the North end of a compass needle is magnetised north and is attracted to things with south polarity. Such as the earth's magnetic north pole, oddly enough.
                Like Steve said, the compass needle points to a south magnetic pole. So the screws are magnetic South, and so is the Earth's North magnetic pole.

Oh dear, oh dear, oh dear.....I fail

Comment

She hated that setting and never used it, so I swapped the middle with the neck pickup.
                  And that gave you no phasey shabby sounds?

Comment

And that gave you no phasey shabby sounds?
                    No, because you could not combine the neck pickup with the other two, and the middle position was the middle and bridge, in phase.

Comment

No, because you could not combine the neck pickup with the other two, and the middle position was the middle and bridge, in phase.
                      OK, I'll give that a go then Sounds like a solid plan.

On another front, I see you do very well priced bass pickups and I have a customer who wants an Aria Pro II SBRalike build and I've been wondering what pickups to use in it, so I may drop you a line....are you familiar with the SBR sound?

Comment

OK, I'll give that a go then Sounds like a solid plan.

On another front, I see you do very well priced bass pickups and I have a customer who wants an Aria Pro II SBRalike build and I've been wondering what pickups to use in it, so I may drop you a line....are you familiar with the SBR sound?
                        Oh sure, I'm familiar with those basses. Drop me a line and we can discuss it.

Comment

Working...
                        X