HOME MADE TALL BOBBIN humbucker set.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HOME MADE TALL BOBBIN humbucker set.

Well after so many PMs regarding these,er, like NONE, I've decided to give every body the shits n show em anyway.
    The bobbins I made out of scrap maple from neck builds. Not a lot of fun but after I did the bridge one I thought I should do a neck one as well. The bridge is 53mm and the neck is 49.2, I started out with A2s but went with A5s in the end. Both were wound with 5,000 turns of 42PE. The bridge is 8k, the neck 7.65k. The idea was to try n get some single coil type of tones that the old pafs are said to have, regardless, until now I've never wound up a humbucker that I came close to wanting to keep and as for the neck, mud city was all I ever got. This set is just what I was after, clear and clean, some very P-90ish tones can be found all over the volume pot sweep, the neck pickup sounds really good and because of that so does the middle position. The bridge is everything from clear clean to yee haa.
    I'll record up a clip one of these days but don't hold your breath.
    The bobbins are a pig to make although the second lot were easier. These ones are also unpotted, they make no squeal at all. I had them adjusted real low at one point and I was getting some squeal due to the springs I think but adjusted up they are well behaved. Out of all my Marshall clones, the super lead spec is no question the best for these. With the JTM spec the bass was horrible even with the bass off.
    The 4th pic shows how much taller the bobbins are than a stock Mojo one. The guitar is made from Northern ash and I call it the Woody.
    Hope you like. Cheers.

Clips added. The first clip starts with the neck pickup in Am, then in Em we go to the middle position and then the bridge which you will hear.
    SoundClick artist: Nic Ward - page with MP3 music downloads
    The second clip may be a bit bright for some, that's just the way it turned out, you can obviously adjust the tone on the amp but listen to the clarity of the chords. This is all the bridge pickup on volume 7.
    SoundClick artist: Nic Ward - page with MP3 music downloads
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Ward; 05-09-2012, 04:38 AM. Reason: clips added

It look interiesting!!! this idea of using taller humbucker bobbins, so you are looking for old paf sound? i´m a begginer but, i heard that when you mismach the 2 coils, you can have more like this type of sound, more harmonics, etc, like an old paf.
    I`m waiting for the sound record!!

Comment

Ward,
      Great looking woodwork. Are they made from solid blocks or did you glue them up?

Comment

Originally posted by cenizasblancas View Post
        It look interiesting!!! this idea of using taller humbucker bobbins, so you are looking for old paf sound? i´m a begginer but, i heard that when you mismach the 2 coils, you can have more like this type of sound, more harmonics, etc, like an old paf.
        I`m waiting for the sound record!!
        Hey Cen, looking for a bucker that has tone when turned down would be a good start. Whether I've made them or bought brand named buckers they ALL sound bland and lifeless with the guitar volume on anything less that 10. Single coils are not like this, you turn them down and they still have nice things going on. The bridge woody on 10 has a little more in the upper mids but it's when you turn the guitar down that vindicates all the work that went into the bobbins. As I have never played a paf it's useless to try and emulate one but I did have some idea of what I was looking for. Mismatched coils haven't done it for me ever. Building the taller bobbins was the act of " I'll try this and then just forget about buckers forever" I'm not into gain, I'm into single coil tone, if I play a bucker I want it to have tone when I turn it down, that's why I love P-90s, you know I reckon a lot of people don't even know what the volume knob is for, shoot me for sayin that but really. Many will no doubt say they have this already with their home made buckers, or even just buying any old bucker, I've never heard it until now.
        Taller coil = a bucker that sounds great when turned down and a cleaner sounding bucker on 10 still with plenty of yee haa.
        Very much like a P-90 without the noise. I'll probably end up doing another bridge one of these as I'd like to hear one with a bit more wire on it.

EDIT: Clips are now available from the first post.
        Last edited by Ward; 05-09-2012, 04:30 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by David King View Post
          Ward,
          Great looking woodwork. Are they made from solid blocks or did you glue them up?
          Thanks David, these are one piece bobbins routed out from solid block.

Comment

I did´t know nothing about the volume problem with humbuckers... i play in a strat guitar and i love the single coil sound too, ( and i know how to use the volume control.. ja) i also like the sound of tv jones pickups that is between the humbuckers and single coils. Recently i have wound a humbucker for more single coil sound with 5,47 k both coils... and it sound like j$&$$$ttt
            I heard your sound recording and the sound of the pickups is wonderfull!!! is more single coil sound i guess, maybe you are right in putting more wire for more like humbucker sound.

Great work!!

Comment

Hello! Where exactly are the clips?The link send me to the homepage. Thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by dmanzio View Post
                Hello! Where exactly are the clips?The link send me to the homepage. Thanks!
                Looks like the Clips have been taken down.
                "If Hitler invaded Hell, I would make at least a favourable reference of the Devil in the House of Commons." Winston Churchill
                Terry

Comment

i would also like to know how he carved the wooden bobbin.I mean how do you make the core to be so smooth so that the wire doesnt break?

Comment

Originally posted by dmanzio View Post
                    i would also like to know how he carved the wooden bobbin.I mean how do you make the core to be so smooth so that the wire doesnt break?
                    I haven't made any wood bobbins, but I would think just use fine sand paper.
                    If the bottom of the bobbin is rough you could put a layer or scotch or paper tape.
                    "If Hitler invaded Hell, I would make at least a favourable reference of the Devil in the House of Commons." Winston Churchill
                    Terry

Comment

I'd use a milling machine to make these but certainly they could be done on a router table with fence or with a table saw and dado blade. You would need to round off the interior ends of the bobbin with a file or sanding stick. The non milling machine methods would be dangerous to say the least - not my cup of tea.

Comment

Sorry for hijacking this thread and thank you for your answers.David, i didnt understand half of what you said(!) because i am a complete amateur and i dont have machinery like that.I would like to make a bobbin using a few handtools if possible.I dont mind if its not from wood.Any recommendations?

Comment

dmanzio,

It's possible to make a bobbin with hand tools but it would take you all day. You can buy plastic bobbins for $.15 each.
                          What hand tools do you have? What country do you live in?

Comment

The wooden bobbins that Ward makes are actually 3 pieces. The top and bottom pieces are glued to the center piece then drilled for the slugs.

Comment

Originally posted by Stratz View Post
                              The wooden bobbins that Ward makes are actually 3 pieces. The top and bottom pieces are glued to the center piece then drilled for the slugs.
                              See post #5

Comment

Working...
                              X