Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1969 CBS Type Grey Bobbin?

hello everybody,
    I'm amazed at this forum, reading for days!

Does anybody know where I could get some grey cbs type bobbins that are being used in Fender Custom Shop 69 pickups? What are they exactly made of?

They look grey and affect the sound.

Mi

Welcome!
    I use these all the time.
    Mojo has them in .187 or .195", depending on magnet diameter.
    I use the .187, and that would be the right size for a 69.
    I also use mojo rod magnets.
    Mojo Pickup Parts » 2115376 Mojotone ''GREY BOTTOM'' CBS Strat Flatwork Top and Bottom Set (for .187'' dia. magnets)
    Good Luck,
    Terry
    "If Hitler invaded Hell, I would make at least a favourable reference of the Devil in the House of Commons." Winston Churchill
    Terry

Comment

That's the first time I've heard anyone say the bobbin color affects the sound.....

Comment

Originally posted by FunkyKikuchiyo View Post
        That's the first time I've heard anyone say the bobbin color affects the sound.....
        The local guys in my area, will not play a black bottom pickup.
        I finally quit Making them.
        They don't care what kind of wire is on it, but they want it to be a grey bottom.
        So now a days my formula is grey bottom flatwork.
        42 HPN wire, and Cloth Lead wire.
        Everyone likes the look of the old cloth wire.
        T
        "If Hitler invaded Hell, I would make at least a favourable reference of the Devil in the House of Commons." Winston Churchill
        Terry

Comment

Originally posted by FunkyKikuchiyo View Post
          I heard that staring at the color pink ,can make you physically weaker
          Staring at grey bobbins make you sound more like
          Seriously !!! the colour of forbon affecting tone ? naaa
          "UP here in the Canada we shoot things we don't understand"

Comment

Originally posted by copperheadroads View Post
            I heard that staring at the color pink ,can make you physically weaker
            Staring at grey bobbins make you sound more like
            Seriously !!! the colour of forbon affecting tone ? naaa
            I could see how one might be easier to work with than another and will concede that point, but I haven't read anything that makes me think there's even a chance the color does anything. It is possible, but I haven't found any reason to think so.

Comment

Anyone ever notice that when you solder the leads into Grey Bottoms it smells sweet? Like they are dipped in honey!

Comment

Hello,
                Absolutely, the grey bottom effects the tone. I have routed the pickup cavities completely through the body and installed pexiglass inserts in the backs all of my single coil guitars. I can at any time gaze upon them fondly. I am going to make similar modifications to the humbucker equipped guitars to enable me to see the vintage correct brass phillips head base screws at any given moment. Its the little things that make the difference. I am amazed at people who dispute all of time tested facts relating to these things.

Comment

Originally posted by SpareRibs View Post
                  Hello,
                  Absolutely, the grey bottom effects the tone. I have routed the pickup cavities completely through the body and installed pexiglass inserts in the backs all of my single coil guitars. I can at any time gaze upon them fondly. I am going to
                  make similar modifications to the humbucker equipped guitars to enable me to see the vintage correct brass phillips head base screws at any given moment. Its the little things that make the difference. I am amazed at people who dispute all of
                  time tested facts relating to these things.
                  And, I thought I was eccentric, and had Compulsive disorder behaviors.
                  Just Kiddin!
                  T
                  Terry

Comment

Originally posted by SpareRibs View Post
                    Hello,
                    Absolutely, the grey bottom effects the tone. I have routed the pickup cavities completely through the body and installed pexiglass inserts in the backs all of my single coil guitars. I can at any time gaze upon them fondly. I am going to make similar modifications to the humbucker equipped guitars to enable me to see the vintage correct brass phillips head base screws at any given moment. Its the little things that make the difference. I am amazed at people who dispute all of time tested facts relating to these things.
                    If it does affect tone (& I have not noticed any difference in tone comparing black & grey Forbon )
                    You think the grey sounds good ,try the red
                    "UP here in the Canada we shoot things we don't understand"

Comment

So I wonder what color Mark Knopfler is using to get this tone?
                      Also can anyone else get that tone?
                      Grey or maybe Red?
                      Dire Straits - Once Upon A Time In The West (1979) (Remaster w/Lyrics) [720p HD] ~ORIGINAL VIDEO~ - YouTube
                      B_T
                      Terry

Comment

Forbon

Originally posted by big_teee View Post
                        So I wonder what color Mark Knopfler is using to get this tone?
                        Also can anyone else get that tone?
                        Grey or maybe Red?
                        Dire Straits - Once Upon A Time In The West (1979) (Remaster w/Lyrics) [720p HD] ~ORIGINAL VIDEO~ - YouTube
                        B_T
                        Hello,
                        Definitely grey with a slight tinge of blue. I think they should take the black off the market it's really effecting everyones tone.

Comment

Terry, thank you very much! They advertise it as of the right material..but, is there any confirmation what grey cbs bobbin is?
                          I found this on another forum about that site. Quote>
                          Originally Posted by newswede
                          Lee Dixon now sells repros for Blackie & Brownie. I'm very interested.
                          I wasn't aware of this, but I did some checking and it appears Eric Clapton's long-time tech Lee Dickson is now selling "Black" and "Brown" pups with Mojotone (no affiliation). No specs, but pics of the "Black" ones are grey bottom pups with what appears to be plain enamel wire (the "Brown" ones look black bottom and formvar). You would also think that before a venture like this, Dickson probably would have sought EC's blessing.

@KikuChiyo, when you think about it it's logical, the brighter the bobbin color the brighter the tone. Now, joking aside, and picking on the new guy aside
                          it's also in the Fender description for Fender Custom Shop 69 pickups:

"Staggered Alnico 5 magnets and a special bobbin give you clear highs and thick lows. You'll love the punch and sparkle you get from your Strat with this pickup."

They clearly say that this bobbin affects the sound (altough cbs did change the wire as well, to plain enamel). I've read that in other Fender material about 69 pickups as well.
                          I've read somewhere that grey bobbins are of the material which let's electricity and magnetism come through the bobbin (something like the baseplate effect). The end result being a clearer sounding pickup with thicker lows, described as a more "piano" sound quality to it.

p.s.
                          Of course, I could be just a dumb ass, reading from untrusted sources, Fender description could be just a hmm... perspective of a marketing department or something..
                          Last edited by komil; 05-18-2012, 01:19 PM.

Comment

Here is another quote from Fender marketing:

Custom Shop 69' Strat® Pickups
                            The "Summer of Love" doesn't have to end- the '69 Strat pickups have the tone you'll fall in love with. Own the tone that defined an era. For a short period in the late 60's, Fender® used a height staggered Alnico 5's and a special grey bobbin which produced clear, transparent highs and thumping lows. Each pickup is created, dated, and initialed by Abigail Ybarra who has been winding pickups for Fender since the late 50's. OEM on the Custom Shop '69 Stratocaster®. Available in white only. Sold only as a set of 3

Comment

Welcome Komil.... I think you have almost been through the newby indoctrination lol. We just need a few more to chime in. Wheres Spence these days? I have noticed the sheep population over here has gone way down so...... he may be busier than usual

Comment

Working...
                              X