I just wound this last night:
    Same number of winds on each coil?

-rb
    DON'T FEED THE TROLLS!

Comment

Originally posted by David Schwab View Post
      I just wound this last night:
      I haven't listened to it yet.
      and the inevitable question: why asymmetrical? Isn't hum cancelling better when it's symmetrical?

Comment

Komil it's for a 5 string bass so that sort of symmetry isn't very practical. How well does it cancel hum?

Comment

Originally posted by rjb View Post
          That's how I did it. I still haven't tried it out yet, but will today. Then I will decide if I need to change anything.
          It would be possible to describe everything scientifically, but it would make no sense; it would be without meaning, as if you described a Beethoven symphony as a variation of wave pressure. — Albert Einstein

http://coneyislandguitars.com
          www.soundcloud.com/davidravenmoon

Comment

Originally posted by David King View Post
            Komil it's for a 5 string bass so that sort of symmetry isn't very practical.
            Well, if you didn't care about aesthetics, you could make a 6-string pickup and not use one of the positions....

Is it true that PBass pickups were originally made from (2) mandolin pickups?
            The spacing between the polepieces and the strings doesn't seem to make sense otherwise.

Komil:
            I apologize for being so dense, but did you build the pickup shown in the original post?
            If so, how does it sound?

-rb
            DON'T FEED THE TROLLS!

Comment

Well, if you didn't care about aesthetics, you could make a 6-string pickup and not use one of the positions....
              Then the poles wouldn't line up with the strings.

Is it true that PBass pickups were originally made from (2) mandolin pickups?
              The spacing between the polepieces and the strings doesn't seem to make sense otherwise.
              No. Leo Fender got a patent on the pickup, #2976755, in 1959. Jazz Bass pickups are made in a similar fashion. The idea is that the poles are not under strings, but are on either side of them (patent 2968204, 1957). This was to lessen the attack and increase the sustain.

The Fender electric mandolin used a Strat style pickup:

It would be possible to describe everything scientifically, but it would make no sense; it would be without meaning, as if you described a Beethoven symphony as a variation of wave pressure. — Albert Einstein

Comment

Then the poles wouldn't line up with the strings.
                I meant, just gouge out the body and line up the pickup so 5 sets of poles line up with the strings. ;^)

No. Leo Fender got a patent on the pickup, #2976755, in 1959.
                I'll have to look that up.

The idea is that the poles are not under strings, but are on either side of them (patent 2968204, 1957). This was to lessen the attack and increase the sustain.
                Yea, but the spacing between the poles isn't the same as the spacing between the strings- so different poles end up different distances from the strings. On mine, anyway.

The Fender electric mandolin used a Strat style pickup:
                I thought there were several versions over the years- but I haven't looked it up.

Thanks,
                -rb
                DON'T FEED THE TROLLS!

Comment

rjb and David, the pickup is not mine, I found this photo on this blog Sklar Guitars: The hum-canceling Telecaster bridge pickup

Comment

I'll have to look that up.
                    See attachments
                    2976755 (P bass pickup).pdf
                    2968204 (dual magnets on pickup).pdf

Yea, but the spacing between the poles isn't the same as the spacing between the strings- so different poles end up different distances from the strings. On mine, anyway.
                    On a P bass? I never saw that happen.

Did a random Google search for some photos.

You may need to loosen your neck screws and give your neck a sideways yank you get it back in line.

Interestingly, Bill Lawrence does it differently. He spaces the poles evenly across the top of the pickup.

Comment

OK, so I finally got a chance to try the pickup out. It's dead quiet, and quite a contrast as compared to the other single coil pickup which I haven't rewound yet.

However, I find that they two halves sound a little different. The longer side knee the treble strings is clankier sounding. So I'm going to wind that half a little different.

Comment

However, I find that they two halves sound a little different. The longer side knee the treble strings is clankier sounding. So I'm going to wind that half a little different.
                        Ignorant question, but could you try flipping it around so the "clanky" side is under the lower-pitched strings?

-rb
                        DON'T FEED THE TROLLS!

Comment

Ignorant question, but could you try flipping it around so the "clanky" side is under the lower-pitched strings?

-rb
                          I thought of that. But I'd rather get the top three strings smoother sounding, otherwise the G and D would sound different from the A. Might work though, and it's something to try before I cut the wire off.

Comment

Working...
                          X