PICKUP Issue on a EPI LP Stand

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PICKUP Issue on a EPI LP Stand

Hey Guys I tried some different PUPs in my EPI Les Paul but didnt like them and put the stock ones back in. Now I cant get any sound to come out of either PUP.

Now one of the PUPs I bought didn't have a cover so I had to use the cover off the original which was a major pain to get off and required a ton of heat. I hope I didnt damage the original PUP getting the cover off.

Any ways the questions for you guys are:

Is the wiring on this guitar in series? In other words if I messed up this one pickup would it effect the other PUPs ability to work? I find it hard to believe I messed up the neck PUP too

What about if I overheated the POT? Would a bad POT on the neck PUP also cause the bridge PUP to not function?

Finally if I I got the Bridge PUP to hot and it melted the coil wire coating would the PUP not read the correct resistance at that point?

Thank

Things that are common to both pickups, are the jack wiring and switch wiring.
    Both Pickups go through the 3 Way switch.
    To go further, you will need a multimeter, and check Ohms.
    You may have to take it to someone.
    T
    "If Hitler invaded Hell, I would make at least a favourable reference of the Devil in the House of Commons." Winston Churchill
    Terry

Comment

Originally posted by Skiroy View Post
      Hey Guys I tried some different PUPs in my EPI Les Paul but didnt like them and put the stock ones back in. Now I cant get any sound to come out of either PUP.

Now one of the PUPs I bought didn't have a cover so I had to use the cover off the original which was a major pain to get off and required a ton of heat. I hope I didnt damage the original PUP getting the cover off.

Any ways the questions for you guys are:

Is the wiring on this guitar in series? In other words if I messed up this one pickup would it effect the other PUPs ability to work? I find it hard to believe I messed up the neck PUP too

What about if I overheated the POT? Would a bad POT on the neck PUP also cause the bridge PUP to not function?

Finally if I I got the Bridge PUP to hot and it melted the coil wire coating would the PUP not read the correct resistance at that point?

Thank
      If you don't produce a picture of the cavity to see the wiring, it won't be possible to even guess from the description alone.

HTH,
      Pepe aka Lt. Kojak
      Milano, Italy

Comment

Originally posted by Skiroy View Post
        Hey Guys I tried some different PUPs in my EPI Les Paul but didnt like them and put the stock ones back in
        I can't imagine that the stock pickups sound better than ANY replacement! The stock pickups suck.
        It would be possible to describe everything scientifically, but it would make no sense; it would be without meaning, as if you described a Beethoven symphony as a variation of wave pressure. — Albert Einstein

http://coneyislandguitars.com
        www.soundcloud.com/davidravenmoon

Comment

Keep in mind that the entire wiring harnesses in Epiphones are crap, so its likely the only pickups that would sound good in them are the crap ones they came with. Gut the thing, use vintage style braided shield wire, CTS pots, paper in oil tone caps, Switchcraft jack and toggle switch, it takes some work but you'll have a new guitar and will be able to actually hear how crappy the stock pickups are ;-)
          http://www.SDpickups.com
          Stephens Design Pickups

Comment

Originally posted by Possum View Post
            Keep in mind that the entire wiring harnesses in Epiphones are crap, so its likely the only pickups that would sound good in them are the crap ones they came with. Gut the thing, use vintage style braided shield wire, CTS pots, paper in oil tone caps, Switchcraft jack and toggle switch, it takes some work but you'll have a new guitar and will be able to actually hear how crappy the stock pickups are ;-)
            Yeah they use cheap parts, but I have replaced the pickups for people many times and left the harness, and it was a vast improvement. Makes them sound like Gibsons.

I see no point in using vintage style braided wire and paper-in-oil caps though. Makes zero difference to the tone, but you won't agree.

Pots and caps don't have a tone. But you want to use good quality parts. Wire only has a tone if it's high capacitance.
            It would be possible to describe everything scientifically, but it would make no sense; it would be without meaning, as if you described a Beethoven symphony as a variation of wave pressure. — Albert Einstein

http://coneyislandguitars.com
            www.soundcloud.com/davidravenmoon

Comment

Working...
            X