Source for plastic PBass bobbin?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Source for plastic PBass bobbin?

Yes, there is such a thing- it's called a DiMarzio Model P bobbin. But DiMarzio won't sell me one.
    Does anyone else sell such a critter? I'd rather not build my own, if I don't have to.

Thanks,
    -rb
    DON'T FEED THE TROLLS!

Originally posted by rjb View Post
    Yes, there is such a thing- it's called a DiMarzio Model P bobbin. But DiMarzio won't sell me one.
    Does anyone else sell such a critter? I'd rather not build my own, if I don't have to.

Thanks,
    -rb
    Not sure what the Dimarzio bobbin looks like.
    These are available.
    Guitar Parts USA - Bass Guitar Pickup Bobbin
    T
    "If Hitler invaded Hell, I would make at least a favourable reference of the Devil in the House of Commons." Winston Churchill
    Terry

Comment

Originally posted by big_teee View Post
      Not sure what the Dimarzio bobbin looks like.
      These are available.
      Guitar Parts USA - Bass Guitar Pickup Bobbin
      T
      Kewel, Terry, you da man! I think I can make those work.

DiMarzio Model P's are built kinda like P-90's. The poles are Allen head screws, and a pair of skinny ceramic magnets straddle the poles. The whole shebang is hot-glued into the case.

You might be able to get an idea what the bobbins looked like before they were abused (long story, too embarrassing to tell).

-rb
      Attached Files
      DON'T FEED THE TROLLS!

Comment

Yikes! Let me guess, someone tried to pot it?

The bobbins Terry linked to should work fine. I have some of the plastic Jazz bobbins from GPUSA and they are very similar to DiMarzios.
        It would be possible to describe everything scientifically, but it would make no sense; it would be without meaning, as if you described a Beethoven symphony as a variation of wave pressure. — Albert Einstein

http://coneyislandguitars.com
        www.soundcloud.com/davidravenmoon

Comment

Originally posted by David Schwab View Post
          Yikes! Let me guess, someone tried to pot it?
          I'll fess up. Someone tried to clean it by soaking in lighter fluid. It worked fine for the cover, not for the bobbin.

The bobbins Terry linked to should work fine. I have some of the plastic Jazz bobbins from GPUSA and they are very similar to DiMarzios.
          That's good to know. Thanks.

-rb
          DON'T FEED THE TROLLS!

Comment

I'll fess up. Someone tried to clean it by soaking in lighter fluid. It worked fine for the cover, not for the bobbin.
            Also, if you are rewinding it, they are wound just like regular P bass pickups, but have the steel poles and ceramic magnets.
            It would be possible to describe everything scientifically, but it would make no sense; it would be without meaning, as if you described a Beethoven symphony as a variation of wave pressure. — Albert Einstein

Comment

Also, if you are rewinding it, they are wound just like regular P bass pickups, but have the steel poles and ceramic magnets.
              Yep. The one dumb thing I did not do was to forget to take notes on magnetic polarity and wind direction.

-rb
              DON'T FEED THE TROLLS!

Comment

I'm having a hard time imagining what type of plastic would be sensitive to lighter fluid. I'm guessing that the covers are ABS and the bobbins are styrene but lighter fluid is just naphtha and i didn't think that affected much of anything Maybe they tossed some lacquer thinner in there for good measure?

Comment

Originally posted by David King View Post
                  I'm having a hard time imagining what type of plastic would be sensitive to lighter fluid. I'm guessing that the covers are ABS and the bobbins are styrene but lighter fluid is just naphtha and i didn't think that affected much of anything Maybe they tossed some lacquer thinner in there for good measure?
                  I used Ronsonol Lighter Fuel, which I thought was naphtha. However, the only ingredient listed on the container is "light petroleum distillate", whatever that is. Is "lighter fuel" (for wick lighters) different from "lighter fluid" (for charcoal fires)? Next time, I'll be *sure* I buy naphtha.

I've read somewhere that DiMarzio bobbins are ABS. But after spending a night in a jar of Ronsonol, this bobbin looked like it had melted in a fire.

-rb
                  DON'T FEED THE TROLLS!

Comment

The Ronsonol lighter fluid for Zippo type lighters is Naphtha. I think charcoal lighter is mineral spirits, AKA paint thinner. Kerosene based I believe.

Comment

I used Ronsonol Lighter Fuel, which I thought was naphtha. However, the only ingredient listed on the container is "light petroleum distillate", whatever that is. Is "lighter fuel" (for wick lighters) different from "lighter fluid" (for charcoal fires)? Next time, I'll be *sure* I buy naphtha.

I've read somewhere that DiMarzio bobbins are ABS. But after spending a night in a jar of Ronsonol, this bobbin looked like it had melted in a fire.

-rb
                      Just buy a container of naphtha next time. Then you will know what you are getting.

Comment

Originally posted by David Schwab
                        Just buy a container of naphtha next time. Then you will know what you are getting.
                        Just to be safe, I'll buy a container of naphtha *and* keep it away from pickup bobbins.

BTW, could you please knock it off with the double-posts? It gets kind of annoying.

Have fun,
                        -rb
                        DON'T FEED THE TROLLS!

Comment

Just to be safe, I'll buy a container of naphtha *and* keep it away from pickup bobbins.

BTW, could you please knock it off with the double-posts? It gets kind of annoying.

Have fun,
                          -rb
                          To guitar builders ,Naphtha Is like Frank's red hot .....We put that sh_t on everything
                          I don't think Naphtha deformed those bobbins ,Maybe Lacquer thinner or Acetone
                          "UP here in the Canada we shoot things we don't understand"

Comment

Originally posted by copperheadroads View Post
                            I don't think Naphtha deformed those bobbins ,Maybe Lacquer thinner or Acetone
                            I know for a fact that I did not use lacquer thinner or acetone.
                            I know for a fact that I did use Ronsonol Lighter Fuel, which I assumed was naphtha.
                            I know for a fact that the only ingredient listed on the Ronsonol container is "light petroleum distillate".
                            I do not know the difference between naphtha and light petroleum distillate.
                            Just to be safe, I will keep my bobbins far from both Ronsonol and naphtha.

Sheesh,
                            -rb
                            DON'T FEED THE TROLLS!

Comment

Why did you soak them in lighter fuel anyway?

Comment

Working...
                              X