Rough Cutting Forbon?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rough Cutting Forbon?

I've always worked with pre-cut forbon in the past, but I have a project that I need to cut some odd sizes for.

I'm going to make a template and use a router for the final shape, but what's a good way to rough cut the Forbon so it is slightly oversized prior to routing?

I use a bandsaw or a scrollsaw if I want to get it tighter but you can always stick a jigsaw upsidedown in a vice and use it as a sabre saw. A jigsaw will also clamp well under a small table like an upside down router and give you good control..

Comment

I use my band saw ,I don't think you will find a better way to do it ,scroll saw might work as well
      If your cutting small bobbin sized pieces It will probably be tough to hold the small pieces in place using something like a jig saw ,If you cutting from sheets of forbon ,A jig saw should work .
      If you don't have any of these i would try a coping saw
      "UP here in the Canada we shoot things we don't understand"

Comment

A scroll saw works very well and providing the jigsaw is upside down and fixed as a staionary saw with a fine blade then even small peices are very easy to handle. My bandsaw stands 7ft high and is normally carrying a 1inch wide blade so I often use the other methods.

Comment

I was hoping y'all would recommend a bandsaw.

So the Forbon isn't hard on the bandsaw blade? That was my concern.

Comment

Originally posted by PoorMan View Post

I own a 14" delta clone with the riser block
            Cutting forbon is pretty easy on the blade I believe....I only cut out a few hundred pieces of flatwork (nothing to really test longevity of a high quality blade) .Usually MDF or Melamine board kills your blades quicker
            "UP here in the Canada we shoot things we don't understand"

Comment

Originally posted by PoorMan View Post

Nah, forbon is like heavy duty cardboard. The only problem I've had cutting it is that if you have alignment issues on your saw, it seems to want to wander more than other materials, but one can compensate for this very easily.

Of course, using an incorrect blade could cause problems, but that is another matter.

A table saw would work just fine, but would waste material IMO because of the large blade. I use my radial arm saw to rough out G10 all the time. It works well, but it is VERY LOUD!

Comment

Originally posted by FunkyKikuchiyo View Post
                I use my radial arm saw to rough out G10 all the time. It works well, but it is VERY LOUD!
                It also generates copious amounts of glass dust in the air, and if being done at production levels, can cause Silicosis. The effect is cumulative.

Silicosis - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I hope you are wearing a well-fitting dust mask in addition to hearing protectors when you saw G10.

Comment

Working...
                X