Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gibson "Ripper" repair

Hi,

I thought this might be of interest to some of you.

This was kind of tricky repair due to epoxy like encasing, but it ended up to be doable.

So, I took of few pictures FWIW:
    Gibson Ripper rewind

Yves.
    www.bourvonaudiodesign.fr

Nice work!

It's amazing how much the Ripper bobbins look like the Bi-Centential Thunderbird pickups, only wider. Classic Bill Lawrence design.

You're a glutton for punishment leaving the coil wires hanging out like that though! You should solder them to insulated hookup wires before you start winding. It's too easy to break them that way.
    Last edited by David Schwab; 06-30-2012, 07:21 PM.
    It would be possible to describe everything scientifically, but it would make no sense; it would be without meaning, as if you described a Beethoven symphony as a variation of wave pressure. — Albert Einstein

http://coneyislandguitars.com
    www.soundcloud.com/davidravenmoon

Comment

Originally posted by David Schwab View Post
      Nice work!
      Thanks!

You're a glutton for punishment leaving the coil wires hanging out like that though! You should solder them to insulated hookup wires before you start winding. It's too easy to break them that way.
      Well unless it's a HB bobbin with center hole - in which case I have the inner wire coming out through that hole - I like to have some length of spare winding wire to make a few turns onto the bobbin before soldering to the hookup wires.
      This way, even the start end wire leave some place for repair work should this have to happen.
      I never had some problems really doing things that way.
      Note that the picture you reffer to is only a step of the process, then after I "double tape" the hookup wires, once soldered, on the bobbin: once the soldered ends with thin isolating tape (tape under and on the solder end), and then the whole bobbin with paper tape which makes the whole thing pretty much sturdy.

Comment

I drill a small hole in the bobbin. Then I wrap the start of the magnet wire on a hookup wire, and then solder it, and tape it to the inside of the bobbin with the wire coming through the hole. When I'm done winding, I connect the finish to a lead and then tape it down on the coil.

I used to do it your way and would end up breaking the start wire more times than I care to admit!

But what ever works for you is the best way to do it.
        It would be possible to describe everything scientifically, but it would make no sense; it would be without meaning, as if you described a Beethoven symphony as a variation of wave pressure. — Albert Einstein

Comment

Are the magnet(s) placed on the outside edges. or inside th coil forms?

In this pic it looks like they are outboard of the coil forms, but then that could be wax or potting.

Is it built it like a P90 but with the coils around the magnets instead of the poles?
          -Brad

ClassicAmplification.com

Comment

Originally posted by RedHouse View Post
            Are the magnet(s) placed on the outside edges. or inside th coil forms?

In this pic it looks like they are outboard of the coil forms, but then that could be wax or potting.
            Yes the magnetS barS are placed on the outside edges, and potted with the black stuff you can see on both the magnets and bobbins (epoxy I believe, as hard as epoxy in any case)

Is it built it like a P90 but with the coils around the magnets instead of the poles?
            Well yes , so no ;-) :yes the pole pieces are going through a metal plate with two magets at each ends. But "similarity" stops here: the plate is much wider than a spacer in a P90, and travel through TWO bobbins.
            If you look at the other pictures in the FB link on my first post, you may have a better understanding (magnets don't appear on the pictures of the empty / rewound bobbins)

Comment

On the P90 question, I meant to ask if the magnets were arranged like on a P90, with like poles forced together (S+S or N+N)
              -Brad

ClassicAmplification.com

Comment

On the P90 question, I meant to ask if the magnets were arranged like on a P90, with like poles forced together (S+S or N+N)
                Yes, I think I got it that's what I meant by similarity with magnets and plate and yes they are opposite, similar to this design actually:
                Patent US3916751 - ELECTRICAL PICKUP FOR A STRINGED - Google Patents

Comment

Yes, both poles face each other. This is what is known as a sidewinder.

Comment

You guys are crack'in me up, "they're opposite" and "they face each other".
                    -Brad

ClassicAmplification.com

Comment

You guys are crack'in me up, "they're opposite" and "they face each other".
                      They are not opposite. Same poles face in. You can see it in the patent drawing.

Comment

They are not opposite. Same poles face in. You can see it in the patent drawing.
                        Yes sorry for that, that's language messing, I meant "opposing" as seen in the patent (I guess at least it translates corectly that way to mean pole against same pole)

Comment

Ah, ok I got it, thanks gent's
                          -Brad

ClassicAmplification.com

Comment

Does anyone know what the gauss would be at the top of the pole screws?
                            with the magnets at the end of the bobbins, you have to charge the bobbin bar and the small screws.
                            Would the gauss at the end of the screw be more than 200, or less?
                            Thanks,
                            T
                            "If Hitler invaded Hell, I would make at least a favourable reference of the Devil in the House of Commons." Winston Churchill
                            Terry

Comment

Originally posted by big_teee View Post
                              Does anyone know what the gauss would be at the top of the pole screws?
                              with the magnets at the end of the bobbins, you have to charge the bobbin bar and the small screws.
                              Would the gauss at the end of the screw be more than 200, or less?
                              Thanks,
                              T
                              That depends on how strong the magnets are. But you don't lose much. It's a lot like a P-90.

Comment

Working...
                              X