Azonic Tensioner Technology for Ultrafine Wire

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Azonic Tensioner Technology for Ultrafine Wire

I was curious about how the Azonic Products model 3535 (Azonic Products - Tension Devices) works, and recalled seeing a patent with a drawing that looked like the product, so I did a little research, and hit paydirt.

There are two two relevant patents. The first one is 3,990,652 in 1976, to Maurice H Brown, who seems to be their main brain. In 1991, '652 is updated by 5,040,741, which states that while '652 worked well for 40 AWG and heavier, the new approach of '741 is good for AWG 44 to 56.

A separate patent, 6,409,116, covers AWG 55 and thinner.

The big delay between the patents probably reflects the changing needs of industry - people didn't wind much AWG 55 in 1976.

Now, '652 was originally developed as a pretensioner for the standard bouncing-dancer tensioner described in 3,837,598 (Azonic Products - Tension Devices), but is usable by itself for ultrafine wire.

A specific issue being solved was the winding of square and rectangular coils, where the wire jerks (accelerates), so it's reasonable to hope that these will work well for pickups.

Remington Sells the 3000.
    High Performance Tension Head Assembly - AWG #30 - #44 - Model 3000 Details | Remington Industries
    They aren't cheap.
    Add it to your shopping cart for the price.
    T
    "If Hitler invaded Hell, I would make at least a favourable reference of the Devil in the House of Commons." Winston Churchill
    Terry

Comment

Originally posted by big_teee View Post
      Add it to your shopping cart for the price.
      Right at the bottom of the specs it says:

"Price: $265.00"

Not cheap.
      It would be possible to describe everything scientifically, but it would make no sense; it would be without meaning, as if you described a Beethoven symphony as a variation of wave pressure. — Albert Einstein

http://coneyislandguitars.com
      www.soundcloud.com/davidravenmoon

Comment

If it worked as advertised and I needed it, I'd buy it.

ken
        www.angeltone.com

Comment

I think the crucial point is that it delivers a well-regulated tension for a round (or nearly so) bobbin, but the Azonics principal notes that he doesn't recommend it for oblong bobbins, namely those for pickups.
          "Det var helt Texas" is written Nowegian meaning "that's totally Texas." When spoken, it means "that's crazy."

Comment

Originally posted by David Schwab View Post
            Right at the bottom of the specs it says:

"Price: $265.00"

Not cheap.
            What's your comparison?

Comment

Originally posted by salvarsan View Post
              I think the crucial point is that it delivers a well-regulated tension for a round (or nearly so) bobbin, but the Azonics principal notes that he doesn't recommend it for oblong bobbins, namely those for pickups.
              Which one is "it"? Brown does mention "rectangular" bobbins. If I understand, Brown implies that the bouncing dancer design cannot to this, but says that the new and improved design (esp '741) can.

Comment

Originally posted by Joe Gwinn View Post
                I was curious about how the Azonic Products model 3535 (Azonic Products - Tension Devices) works, ...
                That is a really nice video showing how it works. I am wondering what winders really want to do and if this can do it. Keeping the tension constant at the coil over a revolution seems like a very difficult problem with an oblong coil. It looks like this device can keep the tension constant at the spool, and thus regulate the average tension at the coil, but not really affect the jerking at the coil except in an average sort of way. Has anyone used such a device and figured out how it actually affects how the wire goes on the coil?

Comment

Originally posted by Mike Sulzer View Post
                  That is a really nice video showing how it works. I am wondering what winders really want to do and if this can do it. Keeping the tension constant at the coil over a revolution seems like a very difficult problem with an oblong coil. It looks like this device can keep the tension constant at the spool, and thus regulate the average tension at the coil, but not really affect the jerking at the coil except in an average sort of way. Has anyone used such a device and figured out how it actually affects how the wire goes on the coil?
                  It says "Spool Size 3 inch max".
                  I mainly use 5 inch Elektrisola Tapered spools.
                  T
                  The 3000 does take up to a 6 inch spool.
                  http://azonicproducts.com/30-350.htm
                  Last edited by big_teee; 07-06-2012, 02:34 PM.
                  "If Hitler invaded Hell, I would make at least a favourable reference of the Devil in the House of Commons." Winston Churchill
                  Terry

Comment

Originally posted by Joe Gwinn View Post
                    What's your comparison?
                    The amount of money I have in the bank? lol

I wasn't comparing, just in general.
                    It would be possible to describe everything scientifically, but it would make no sense; it would be without meaning, as if you described a Beethoven symphony as a variation of wave pressure. — Albert Einstein

http://coneyislandguitars.com
                    www.soundcloud.com/davidravenmoon

Comment

Working...
                    X