Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TPL for a P90 in the vintage style

Hi everybody,
    A friend of mine asked me to wind some P90s for him.
    I got a lot of infos on the net, and I am ready to wind, but I still wonder what is the TPL for P90s in the vintage classic style.

Thanks in advance

No ideas ?

Comment

What is TPL?

Comment

Originally posted by RCI Guitars View Post
        What is TPL?
        Turns Per Layer
        It would be possible to describe everything scientifically, but it would make no sense; it would be without meaning, as if you described a Beethoven symphony as a variation of wave pressure. — Albert Einstein

http://coneyislandguitars.com
        www.soundcloud.com/davidravenmoon

Comment

Originally posted by Strat76 View Post
          No ideas ?
          Turns per Layer, TPL.
          According to the Salvarsan Coil Estimator 70-89.
          Same width as a Humbucker bobbin, so the TPL range should be the same.
          Good Luck,
          Terry
          "If Hitler invaded Hell, I would make at least a favourable reference of the Devil in the House of Commons." Winston Churchill
          Terry

Comment

Still getting used to some of the acronyms used in the forum. I have wound a lot of P-90's and I'm not sure how many PTL for a real vintage sounding P-90. It took quite a bit of trial and error before I got what myself and my customers feel is a nice sounding vintage tone. That is what makes winding so interesting...coming up with your own formulas and techniques.

Comment

Thanks a lot .. It can make a good start for testing.

Comment

Cancelled.
                Last edited by Ward; 08-02-2012, 10:02 PM.

Comment

Remember ,there are 2 different classic p-90 sounds
                  50's & 60's
                  50's p-90's were quite a bit lower output than of the 60's & used A2 or A3 magnets
                  60's used Alnico 5 magnets & were wound hotter .
                  ....Don't forget the Plain Enamel wire
                  "UP here in the Canada we shoot things we don't understand"

Comment

I was not trying to criticize or school the original poster by any means...If I am doing a rewind or reproducing a vintage pickup, I want it to be to spec...So, turns per layer mean a lot in that aspect. Many of the pickups I make for my customers are formulas that I came up with through a lot of trial and error. Rather or not they are the exact vintage spec (TPL or not) is beyond me. I think at the time of my original response to the post that I may have been trying to encourage someone else to just wind!! Have fun and learn. As I am posting this I noticed that I am answering a post that was aimed at me was deleted. I just wanted to clear up the fact that I meant no harm with my response.

Comment

Originally posted by RCI Guitars View Post
                      I was not trying to criticize or school the original poster by any means...If I am doing a rewind or reproducing a vintage pickup, I want it to be to spec...So, turns per layer mean a lot in that aspect. Many of the pickups I make for my customers are formulas that I came up with through a lot of trial and error. Rather or not they are the exact vintage spec (TPL or not) is beyond me. I think at the time of my original response to the post that I may have been trying to encourage someone else to just wind!! Have fun and learn. As I am posting this I noticed that I am answering a post that was aimed at me was deleted. I just wanted to clear up the fact that I meant no harm with my response.
                      That'd be me then sorry, I misread your post and then realized my utter stupidity

Comment

No worries Ward...not stupidity at all. After re-reading my post, I realized how I might have come off.

Comment

Thanks for all the advices. I started with a tpl of 60-80 and will see how it sounds ...

Comment

Working...
                          X