Single coil with different sound?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Fluoroscope 5000 View Post
    I think it depends on the magnet type. I know some are susceptible to it. Maybe AlNiCu III, which is less stable? It bears looking into.
    I get frustrated at times that I can only get a particular magnet to take so much charge.
    Thinking they should be a bit hotter.
    It always seems to just be the magnet material, and that particular magnet brand and type will only except that much charge.
    A2, and A3s Come to mind.
    Then turn around and charge an A8.
    It charges plenty hot!
    "If Hitler invaded Hell, I would make at least a favourable reference of the Devil in the House of Commons." Winston Churchill
    Terry

Comment

AL2/3 are isotropic, which may be why the won't charge that high...don't quote me. Apparently, the capacity of AL5 doubles at ~3/4" from 1/2", but that's a bit strong for a neck pickup, so AL2, or 3 is a better choice with long poles for better balance up and down the neck. Don't know why AL8 makes a for fatter sounding pickup. I don't think it's just Gauss, or C8 in the core would produce the same results. Maybe eddy currents? Anyway, hope I've been of some help.

Comment

Originally posted by Fluoroscope 5000 View Post
        AL2/3 are isotropic, which may be why the won't charge that high...don't quote me. Apparently, the capacity of AL5 doubles at ~3/4" from 1/2", but that's a bit strong for a neck pickup, so AL2, or 3 is a better choice with long poles for better balance up and down the neck. Don't know why AL8 makes a for fatter sounding pickup. I don't think it's just Gauss, or C8 in the core would produce the same results. Maybe eddy currents? Anyway, hope I've been of some help.
        Sorry if I hijacked the thread?
        It seemed to be at a stalemate anyway.
        I really like A8s, and they have a good tone.
        I would love to try some A8s in a rod magnet, in a strat.
        I don't guess they make them, I haven't seen any, anywhere.
        T
        "If Hitler invaded Hell, I would make at least a favourable reference of the Devil in the House of Commons." Winston Churchill
        Terry

Comment

Originally posted by big_teee View Post
          I get frustrated at times that I can only get a particular magnet to take so much charge.
          Thinking they should be a bit hotter.
          It always seems to just be the magnet material, and that particular magnet brand and type will only except that much charge.
          A2, and A3s Come to mind.
          Then turn around and charge an A8.
          It charges plenty hot!
          But that's why you would want to use an A2, etc., because it's not as strong as an A5. It's kind of like saying you bought a blue guitar but want it more red.
          It would be possible to describe everything scientifically, but it would make no sense; it would be without meaning, as if you described a Beethoven symphony as a variation of wave pressure. — Albert Einstein

http://coneyislandguitars.com
          www.soundcloud.com/davidravenmoon

Comment

Originally posted by David Schwab View Post
            But that's why you would want to use an A2, etc., because it's not as strong as an A5. It's kind of like saying you bought a blue guitar but want it more red.
            I agree. No Biggie!
            Sometimes some don't seem to come up to expectations.
            Especially Rod magnets.
            Terry

Comment

Working...
            X