Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Seymour Duncan Pre, how to install an active/passive switch?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Seymour Duncan Pre, how to install an active/passive switch?

Hello folks!

As the title says, i want to install a passive/active switch on my bass, i have the neccesary hole and the DPDT switch, the preamp is a Seymour Duncan STC 3-P, the bass is a Warwick Streamer Jazzman, rigth now the preamp is installed and sounds fantastic, but i like the passive tone too.

I sent an email to seymour duncan staff, and although they were nice with me, they sent me here, and they gave me this drawings which seems good but i still don't understand 3 things:

http://www.seymourduncan.com/support...passive_switch

1) "Hot from preamp" > Don't know which wire is that

2) "Hot to volume pot in" > This means i should solder a wire from the center lug of the volumen pot, to this lug of the dpdt switch? (sorry for the stupid questions)

3) "Hot from pickup or blend pot" > At this moment, The two hot wires from each pickups are soldered to their respective lug in the blend pot, so i guess i should leave those two hots there, and bring a single hot from the blend pot? if so, how to do it? from where?

Sorry for the bad english and stupid questions, and thankyou in advance

(Here is the Diagram of my preamp, Fig 1)
    http://www.seymourduncan.com/images/...501060-105.pdf
    Last edited by Funkyman; 09-18-2012, 04:27 AM.

Those links do not work.

Comment

Wrong spot for this question. As the links are busted I only have a ST-3 MM to go on. i have some old ST-3s in the attic but I don't feel like digging them out

Which wire is hot from preamp? It's the one that goes from the preamp, through the volume pot and on to the hot lug of the output jack. looking at this preamp I'm guessing it's a white wire.

Most active/passive switches work by breaking the connection between the preamp output and the jack and at the same time they break the hot connection from the blend pot to the preamp and Make a connection between the blend pot and the output jack. Your problem here is more complicated because you'll most likely loose your volume pot on the way to passive. If you don't need a volume then you are all set. If you do need a volume you'll need to move the volume pot position from after the preamp to after the blend control. When you move a vol from post to pre you need to change it's value from 10K to 250K or 500K.

Comment

The links now work fine, sorry and thanks!

Comment

Working...
        X