Lane Poorish sidewinder

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lane Poorish sidewinder

Once again this forum showed it's greatness. After some reading I made a Lane Poorish wide aperture bass sidewinder (like M4.0W). Ceramic magnets, bobbins out of circuit board, acrylic under center magnet. 4000 rounds of 42AWG wire, 7,25kOhm wired in series. Sound clip is played direct to Boss MicroBR.
    Sound clip Maihinnousu - Lataa - MPU - LP ceramic sidewinder
    Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN3421.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	110.7 KB
ID:	866772
    This one is going to a headless 5-string singlecut bass. I think I'm only going to have a volume pot as control.

Sounds nice and clear! I dig it.

Is that center black piece the ceramic magnet?

Comment

It has magnets inside coils and in the middle nearest to the strings. Like M4.0W on http://music-electronics-forum.com/t15908-3/ post 95 or something.
      Marko

Comment

Originally posted by Marko Ursin View Post
        It has magnets inside coils and in the middle nearest to the strings. Like M4.0W on http://music-electronics-forum.com/t15908-3/ post 95 or something.
        Marko
        So the coils are wound around magnets, and the center black piece is a ceramic magnet as well? Not quite sure what you mean by "and in the middle nearest to the strings."

Comment

Magnets are like this:
          Click image for larger version

Name:	LPmagnets.png
Views:	1
Size:	2.0 KB
ID:	826974
          Black are magnets, blue is acrylic block, brown are bobbin plates made of circuit board plate. Magnets inside coils have S facing in, the center magnet has S facing up (strings). Center magnet goes over the coil magnets about 1mm. That's how I see LP M4.0W is made judging by the pics on the thread above.

Comment

Originally posted by Marko Ursin View Post
            Magnets are like this:
            [ATTACH=CONFIG]20303[/ATTACH]
            Black are magnets, blue is acrylic block, brown are bobbin plates made of circuit board plate. Magnets inside coils have S facing in, the center magnet has S facing up (strings). Center magnet goes over the coil magnets about 1mm. That's how I see LP M4.0W is made judging by the pics on the thread above.
            Ahh... okay. Strange setup. Can't argue with the sound, though. :-)

Comment

Definitely can't argue with the sound. This sounds really great, really clear.
              Pickup prototype checklist: [x] FR4 [x] Cu AWG 42 [x] Neo magnets [x] Willpower [ ] Time - Winding suspended due to exams.

Originally posted by David Schwab
              Then you have neos... which is a fuzzy bunny wrapped in barbed wire.

Comment

I'm planning to make a transparent black cover for this pickup, something similar to black transparent Q-tuners. First I have to listen how much noise this pickup has with only the sides shielded.
                Marko

Comment

Keeping only the sides shielded shouldn't be a problem, it should be enough as long as you remember not to close a loop. Leave a small gap instead.
                  Pickup prototype checklist: [x] FR4 [x] Cu AWG 42 [x] Neo magnets [x] Willpower [ ] Time - Winding suspended due to exams.

Originally posted by David Schwab
                  Then you have neos... which is a fuzzy bunny wrapped in barbed wire.

Comment

BTW, Marko... where do you get ceramic magnets of that size?

All the ceramics that I seem to be able to find are quite a bit taller (like the magnets used in EMG bobbins).

Comment

Originally posted by Chris Turner View Post
                      BTW, Marko... where do you get ceramic magnets of that size?

All the ceramics that I seem to be able to find are quite a bit taller (like the magnets used in EMG bobbins).
                      SP-elektroniikka in Oulu, Finland has these magnets.

Comment

Working...
                      X