No announcement yet.

1955 P90 muddy - defect insulation?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

When you talk about baking the wire, are you thinking about Bondable versions of winding wire? That is the only type I can think of that gets baked.

Comment

I'm pretty sure the EM build up around cracks can cause eddy currents. I wish I had seen this post yesterday. Bill called me for a chat. Maybe I'll ask him specifically when we talk next, and actually write down the answer. It's hard remember all this stuff.

Comment

Pretty sure it was PE wire that Fender heated to patch the cracks. BL has mentioned it several times. It could have been done via wax bath, but I didn't think they were wax potting back then. Anyone know? My '65(?) Strat pickups were unpotted, but things at Fender may have already been going awry at that point.

Comment

Originally posted by Jim Shine View Post
          When you talk about baking the wire, are you thinking about Bondable versions of winding wire? That is the only type I can think of that gets baked.
          Fender used bondable wire on some of their bass pickups.
          It would be possible to describe everything scientifically, but it would make no sense; it would be without meaning, as if you described a Beethoven symphony as a variation of wave pressure. — Albert Einstein

http://coneyislandguitars.com
          www.soundcloud.com/davidravenmoon

Comment

They used bondable wire on a lot of pickups. Almost across the board at some point.

Comment

Originally posted by Fluoroscope 5000 View Post
              I'm pretty sure the EM build up around cracks can cause eddy currents.
              Not at audio frequencies, where only metal matters.

I also suspect that you have some shorted turns.

Comment

Working...
              X