What's inside those "staple" P90s?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What's inside those "staple" P90s?

I was originally going to post this to find out, but Curtis Novak essentially answered my question with some terrific pics he posted: Curtis Novak Pickups www.CurtisNovak.com: Repair: Repair and examine a 50's Gibson AlnicoV Staple pickup

Still, One has to wonder:

- why mini-bar magnets rather than rods?
    - why Alnico V?
    - what are the implications for inductance when the coil has to make a wide berth for all that stuff in the middle?

Originally posted by Mark Hammer View Post
    - why mini-bar magnets rather than rods?
    - why Alnico V?
    - what are the implications for inductance when the coil has to make a wide berth for all that stuff in the middle?
    - Might be to get a bigger cross section of magnet area

- Maybe that was the strongest magnet readily available in that form. I suspect that the designer was trying for high output.

- Maybe a bit lower. Think of it as eliminating some turns to make room for all that stuff.

This seems complicated for no good reason.

Comment

Seems reasonable.

Comment

It looks like a mechanical nightmare.
        "If Hitler invaded Hell, I would make at least a favourable reference of the Devil in the House of Commons." Winston Churchill
        Terry

Comment

There's a video at the Duncan site showing Maricela Juarez assembling a "Phat Staple".

Very interesting to watch.

HTH,
          Pepe aka Lt. Kojak
          Milano, Italy

Comment

Designed by Seth Lover...
            http://www.SDpickups.com
            Stephens Design Pickups

Comment

Originally posted by big_teee View Post
              It looks like a mechanical nightmare.
              Tell me about it. I made a set of Dynasonics. Same basic design as the staple pickups, apart from that the Dynasonic uses rod magnets. Sounds really good though. Round warm sound and with a krisp and nice treble (still talking about the dynas). Think a more open lower output range P90 sound. But was it worth the effort? yes and no. I would do it again, but with fixed magnets. Or maybee threaded rod magnets. But not with the more original Dynasonic mechanism. No way

Comment

Seems like more work than it's worth for adjustable poles!
                It would be possible to describe everything scientifically, but it would make no sense; it would be without meaning, as if you described a Beethoven symphony as a variation of wave pressure. — Albert Einstein

http://coneyislandguitars.com
                www.soundcloud.com/davidravenmoon

Comment

Working...
                X