Designing a different pickup

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Designing a different pickup

I am wanting to design a new pickup style that has the smaller string spacing similar to a Hofner bass. I am wanting to use a sidewinder design where the two coils are inbetween a 1/4" keeper with poll pieces. I see that folks have a program that can model the pickup output. I'm not sure that is my skill set, but I'm willing to learn. I need the pole pieces to be about 1 1/4" or maybe a little longer. IS this even possible to get a good sound with such a long pole piece? Should I conform to a mass for the poles? I've seen posts for pole pieces where there are standard style pickups, but not one that has a keeper in the middle (which I'm assuming plays into the equation that is used for mass.

Thanks
    KC

Moved to the main area, where more Bass Pickups are buit!
    T
    "If Hitler invaded Hell, I would make at least a favourable reference of the Devil in the House of Commons." Winston Churchill
    Terry

Comment

If you look at a Gibson EB-0 pickup, you will see a sidewinder with the keeper in the middle:

Click image for larger version

Name:	mudbucker_1.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	107.6 KB
ID:	827784

Why do you want your poles so long?
      It would be possible to describe everything scientifically, but it would make no sense; it would be without meaning, as if you described a Beethoven symphony as a variation of wave pressure. — Albert Einstein

http://coneyislandguitars.com
      www.soundcloud.com/davidravenmoon

Comment

Working...
      X