supro in bridge pickup

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by David King View Post
    David, the IRAA curve was also used to reduce surface noise by accentuating the treble when cutting the groove and then reducing the same about to restore the original sound.
    Yes, but mostly it was to reduce the size of the grooves. Then they could make the records longer.

Early CDs were bad, because they used the masters intended for vinyl. But even some of the early CDs I have sounded better when A/Bing the same record on vinyl IMO. The vinyl sounded like mush as far as transients and the bass is concerned. The CD was nice and punchy.

I remember we had this discussion once here and I posted side by side vinyl and CD tracks from a deep Purple song. It was like night and day.

http://www.sgd-lutherie.com/media/Hush-vinyl-cd.mp3

It quite obviously starts with the vinyl. The vinyl is thin and midrangy.
    It would be possible to describe everything scientifically, but it would make no sense; it would be without meaning, as if you described a Beethoven symphony as a variation of wave pressure. — Albert Einstein

http://coneyislandguitars.com
    www.soundcloud.com/davidravenmoon

Comment

Going back to the pickup, the patent shows a bushing in the top part of the bridge that sit on the adjusting thumbwheels. These show up grey on one of the pics that David posted and would I be right in assuming they are made of rubber to allow a certain amount of movement. They are designated no. 44 in the patent.
      Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by jonson View Post
        Going back to the pickup, the patent shows a bushing in the top part of the bridge that sit on the adjusting thumbwheels. These show up grey on one of the pics that David posted and would I be right in assuming they are made of rubber to allow a certain amount of movement. They are designated no. 44 in the patent.
        I was wondering about that. If the bridge was fairly solid, I wold think you wouldn't get too much output.
        It would be possible to describe everything scientifically, but it would make no sense; it would be without meaning, as if you described a Beethoven symphony as a variation of wave pressure. — Albert Einstein

Comment

Originally posted by David Schwab View Post
          I was wondering about that. If the bridge was fairly solid, I wold think you wouldn't get too much output.
          My thoughts exactly.. I was hopeing Johnnydr may come up with the answer from the one he has taken apart. Other than that it's a lot of trial and error as there is little info on the net and loads of crap about it being a piezo etc.

Comment

Originally posted by jonson View Post
            My thoughts exactly.. I was hopeing Johnnydr may come up with the answer from the one he has taken apart. Other than that it's a lot of trial and error as there is little info on the net and loads of crap about it being a piezo etc.
            Yeah, I always thought it was a piezo too, just because I kept reading that.

Comment

Hey, finally got a chance to get back. Mine also has the bushings, I'll have to take it apart again to see if I can tell what they are made of. The bridge pickup seems to have pretty good output, compared to the other pickup, although I can't find my can deoxit to spray out the blend pot, so I can't be positive how they compare yet. I don't have a bass amp at my house, but I'll be bringing the bass to band practice soon, so I can really test it out and give a better report.

It seems, after playing around with this bass a little, that if someone really wanted to use one, a better set of tuners, with a higher ratio would be really helpful. Mine also has pretty small fret wire, if I was going to keep it I would probably re-fret it, it could use it. The bridge on mine was stuck in place, and probably hadn't moved, ever, judging by the fading of the finish around it. But man, was the intonation off, like a half step by the 12th fret.

Anyway, a more detailed report soon.

Comment

Originally posted by johnnydr View Post
                Thanks for the reply. When I search piezo pickups I see they were invented in 1969,what these are.
                Sorry to correct you there Johnny but there were 2 patents 3453920 and 3530228 by Scherer in 1966 and 1968 as to piezo's, and there may be others. That 66 date may have confused some people on the net.

Comment

Working...
                X