Has anyone tried these baseplates?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Has anyone tried these baseplates?

Humbucker Nickel Silver 49 2mm Pole Spacing Baseplates 2 PK New Version | eBay

They appeared on the market the same time Mojo's did. Are they the same?

Looks like the same ones. Has the same soft bend on the leg and the same description.
    www.tonefordays.com

Comment

Those are the same. You can tell by the curved tooling mark in the flat base surface in the opposite corner of the hookup wire entry hole. All of the "Mojo" plates I have seen have that same mark. Pretty sure it would be from CNC'ing the die.

There's no shortage of sellers buying stuff from Mojo and elsewhere and marking it up on eBay.

Comment

But that is a major mark down. Almost 2 for one.

Comment

eBay - $1564.95 for 200 units shipped (if they had more than 20 pairs available, and assuming the shipping on 200 units is the same as the shipping on 20 pairs, might be more.)

Mojo - $1437.76 for 200 units shipped

Who knows what either one is paying for them as neither place is manufacturing them anyway, to the best of my knowledge.

Comment

Have you inquired about 200 units from the other place, or are just factoring the per unit of 2 price?

Comment

Just factoring. They only list 20 pairs available.

I do (casually) know Kenny who runs Phila Luth. …but the last two times I've inquired about getting parts from them in bulk/dealer quantities/pricing I've gotten turned down.

I don't preference one place over the other. I try to build my own or buy direct whenever possible. Distributers and retailers always make a killing.

Comment

If you check that seller's website he is selling from all the major parts sellers, Hosco, AllParts, etc. etc., he also has American made nickel silver P90 soap bar covers in nickel, chrome and unplated, wonder where he is getting those from? $12.95 not a bad price for those.
                Pickup Making Parts - Philadelphia Luthier Tools & Supplies, LLC
                http://www.SDpickups.com
                Stephens Design Pickups

Comment

Originally posted by Possum View Post
                  If you check that seller's website he is selling from all the major parts sellers, Hosco, AllParts, etc. etc., he also has American made nickel silver P90 soap bar covers in nickel, chrome and unplated, wonder where he is getting those from? $12.95 not a bad price for those.
                  Pickup Making Parts - Philadelphia Luthier Tools & Supplies, LLC

He has some good stuff. I have bought a few things from him already.
                  It would be possible to describe everything scientifically, but it would make no sense; it would be without meaning, as if you described a Beethoven symphony as a variation of wave pressure. — Albert Einstein

http://coneyislandguitars.com
                  www.soundcloud.com/davidravenmoon

Comment

I just contacted them and got an immediate answer. Kenny Davis at philadelphialuthiertools.com is able to get the P-90 covers with no holes if anyone is needing those.

Comment

Originally posted by David King View Post
                      I just contacted them and got an immediate answer. Kenny Davis at philadelphialuthiertools.com is able to get the P-90 covers with no holes if anyone is needing those.
                      So I guess if someone wants to make a P90 with slugs, and no poles?
                      That would be an option,or make a bass bobbin to fit the no holes cover.
                      I have a no holes mini bucker cover. I plan on making a double slug pickup for it.
                      With no hole Covers the "What if" Possibilities are endless!
                      "If Hitler invaded Hell, I would make at least a favourable reference of the Devil in the House of Commons." Winston Churchill
                      Terry

Comment

Originally posted by David King View Post
                        Cool!

I picked up some t-bird covers from them. I also got an immediate answer to en email. Nice to have a new course for parts.
                        It would be possible to describe everything scientifically, but it would make no sense; it would be without meaning, as if you described a Beethoven symphony as a variation of wave pressure. — Albert Einstein

Comment

Originally posted by big_teee View Post
                          So I guess if someone wants to make a P90 with slugs, and no poles?
                          Or blades.

Comment

I picked up some items and they shipped fast. The machined keepers, they are way better than the zinc plated ones, but they are not as nice as Addiction FX's. In fact, I think they are still stamped, just in a better piece of metal. The sides show evidence of being stamped versus Addictions machined appearance. But they are steel and they are flat.

Comment

Originally posted by Jim Shine View Post
                              I picked up some items and they shipped fast. The machined keepers, they are way better than the zinc plated ones, but they are not as nice as Addiction FX's. In fact, I think they are still stamped, just in a better piece of metal. The sides show evidence of being stamped versus Addictions machined appearance. But they are steel and they are flat.
                              Please Let us know how they sound.
                              Sounds like the ones that come in the Mojo PAF kits.
                              Kinda look machined, but I think they are stamped also.
                              My biggest complaint with most stamped keepers is the thickness.
                              Wish they would all be the thickness of the magnet.
                              Most of the stamped ones are .115=.117", not the .125" thickness of the magnet.
                              This causes the bobbin to lean when you tighten the bobbin screws.
                              T
                              Last edited by big_teee; 02-24-2013, 01:15 AM.
                              "If Hitler invaded Hell, I would make at least a favourable reference of the Devil in the House of Commons." Winston Churchill
                              Terry

Comment

Working...
                              X