what do you guys think about this

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• what do you guys think about this

hey guys, I am about to buy from a guy what he says is two vintage 60s gibson paf magnets and a keeper bar but I was just wondering what you guys thought about them-----

p.s. he says he thinks the bar and the rougher course magnet is an early 60s like 61 or 62 but the magnet that is smooth on both sides is a later 60s, I know you cant completely date something like this but it doesn't hurt to get the experts to chime inClick image for larger version

Name:	$(KGrHqJHJFEFENLH6B43BRFDu0WMsQ~~60_57.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	666.0 KB
ID:	867115Click image for larger version

Name:	$(KGrHqVHJFYFEO1iFluVBRFDukYhEg~~60_57.JPG
Size:	599.1 KB
ID:	867116Click image for larger version

Name:	$(KGrHqZHJE0FD8CPK+WTBRFDusEVI!~~60_57.JPG
Size:	610.5 KB
ID:	867117Click image for larger version

Name:	$T2eC16hHJG8E9nyfp-SRBRFDu,Om1g~~60_57.JPG
Size:	758.1 KB
ID:	867118Click image for larger version

Name:	$T2eC16JHJHQE9nzEyOTrBRFDue3URQ~~60_57.JPG
Size:	679.0 KB
ID:	867119Click image for larger version

Name:	$T2eC16NHJGkE9no8gFnyBRFDuu)Wsg~~60_57.JPG
Size:	628.8 KB
ID:	867120

Should be worth $10-$12, or so.
    "If Hitler invaded Hell, I would make at least a favourable reference of the Devil in the House of Commons." Winston Churchill
    Terry

Comment

ha ha I will tell him that

Comment

Originally posted by hotshot991 View Post
        I know what your saying, but think about it???
        How do you prove or know they are from a PAF.
        If you put them in a new Pickup, Does that make the Pickup worth more?
        Will it sound any better than a new magnet, and keeper?
        Perhaps, but I doubt it.
        It would be worth more like 8-10 dollars to me.
        I would be more interested in the keeper than the magnets.
        They looked like polished magnets, not in the rough.
        T
        "If Hitler invaded Hell, I would make at least a favourable reference of the Devil in the House of Commons." Winston Churchill
        Terry

Comment

Originally posted by hotshot991 View Post
          He was NOT joking.

I agree with BigTee, and I'm not joking either.

HTH,
          Pepe aka Lt. Kojak
          Milano, Italy

Comment

Even if they are real, so what? They aren't all that special, or different from what you can get today.
            It would be possible to describe everything scientifically, but it would make no sense; it would be without meaning, as if you described a Beethoven symphony as a variation of wave pressure. — Albert Einstein

http://coneyislandguitars.com
            www.soundcloud.com/davidravenmoon

Comment

All good info here
              ,& agreed that if there are genuine they will sound a little different ,not necessarily better just different compared to modern magnets available today .
              as for the keeper bar ,you cant compare these to some of the stamped products that some of the dealers sell .IMO a machined keeper sounds better
              which is why i make my own .
              but Flash the big "Vintage" words in front of anything & it must 100 times better than anything made today .......am I right ?
              "UP here in the Canada we shoot things we don't understand"

Comment

Originally posted by copperheadroads View Post
                you cant compare these to some of the stamped products that some of the dealers sell .IMO a machined keeper sounds better
                which is why i make my own .
                Assuming the steel is the same alloy, how do they sound different?

And if they do, how do you know what alloy they are using? I would think they might use a softer steel if they are stamping them.
                It would be possible to describe everything scientifically, but it would make no sense; it would be without meaning, as if you described a Beethoven symphony as a variation of wave pressure. — Albert Einstein

Comment

Originally posted by David Schwab View Post
                  Assuming the steel is the same alloy, how do they sound different?

And if they do, how do you know what alloy they are using? I would think they might use a softer steel if they are stamping them.
                  Thats probably the main difference ,the alloy is different .
                  some of those stamped keepers are probably made from a pretty hard alloy

Comment

They would be using softer steel for stamping.

If you are machining your own, you have a lot more control.

Comment

They would be using softer steel for stamping.

If you are machining your own, you have a lot more control.
                      I have found just the opposite

Comment

Originally posted by copperheadroads View Post
                        I have found just the opposite
                        It probably gets work hardened. Why wold they use harder steel if they are stamping a piece out? That would make it harder to stamp. Then their dies would get dull faster.

Think about it.

Now what don't you like about the tone? Darker or brighter?

Comment

When it comes to stamped keepers that I have tried i like the stew mac keeper over mojo's .I find the holes in Mojo's keepers a little on the big side which probably effects the tone more than the alloy

Comment

The size of the holes won't affect the tone. The keeper is just something to for the magnet to have contact with, since the screws are smaller in diameter than the slugs.

Comment

The size of the holes won't affect the tone. The keeper is just something to for the magnet to have contact with, since the screws are smaller in diameter than the slugs.
                              No that's not true in my experience. I've run tests for this specifically, with identical spacers where the only difference is the hole size. One tight (but not threaded) and the other with just a tiny bit of wiggle room. (maybe .010-.015"?) I wasn't the only one to hear the difference. It's not so much in the tonal content as it is the response to transients and the first 50-100ms of the envelope. The difference exists, the only thing to debate is what percentage of people would be able to detect it.

Comment

Working...
                              X