Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Single coil size blade humbuckers

Hello,
    On another forum some one posted that they had a single coil size blade humbucker with an 18Kohm reading. Is it possible to get that much wire into that space on two bobbins? Maybe I am wrong but I just don't think its possible.

I think if you used two stacked coils wound with 43awg, it could work.

-Robert

Comment

Hello,
      I can agree with that, but it was shown in the thread and it was a single sized pickup with two rails. That is why I was doubtful.

Comment

Pure theory for me, never tried it; but it occurred to me - that someone could wind a resistor into the coil...I dont know how it would shape performance o the sound, though...

-Rob

Comment

Originally posted by SpareRibs View Post
          Hello,
          On another forum some one posted that they had a single coil size blade humbucker with an 18Kohm reading. Is it possible to get that much wire into that space on two bobbins? Maybe I am wrong but I just don't think its possible.
          I make a bridge model with 44AWG, it is around 15+k.
          It would need to be IMO 45, or 46 Gauge for 18k.
          The 15k 44 Gauge is nice and hot and sounds good, that it is enough for me.
          T
          "If Hitler invaded Hell, I would make at least a favourable reference of the Devil in the House of Commons." Winston Churchill
          Terry

Comment

Yeah, probably 45 or 46 gauge.

Remember that thinner wire not only allows you to fit more, but it's also misleading, because thinner wire reads high per foot. So 18k of 46AWG is not as much wire as 18k of 42AWG or even 43AWG.

I'd stick with 44AWG. Like Terry said, you can get a nice hot pickup that way.
            It would be possible to describe everything scientifically, but it would make no sense; it would be without meaning, as if you described a Beethoven symphony as a variation of wave pressure. — Albert Einstein

http://coneyislandguitars.com
            www.soundcloud.com/davidravenmoon

Comment

Originally posted by SpareRibs View Post
              Hello,
              Dimarzio DP182
              DC Resistance: 18.07 Kohm Click image for larger version

Name:	dp182cr.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	56.1 KB
ID:	828204 Click image for larger version

Name:	dp182_nocover.jpg
Size:	58.0 KB
ID:	828205

I have a friend who loves the Fast Track pickups and wanted one for the bridge in his flying V
              I modified a Dimarzio Fast Track-2 and mounted it on a full size HB base plate with a stacked dummy screw bobbin. Worked out good. One rude sounding pickup.

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN1891.JPG
Size:	210.1 KB
ID:	828202

Name:	DSCN1896.JPG
Size:	223.6 KB
ID:	828203
              Last edited by Stratz; 02-25-2013, 07:16 AM.

Comment

That is awesome Stratz! Did you wire the blade in parallel to the stack?

Comment

Originally posted by CRU JONES View Post
                  Did you wire the blade in parallel to the stack?
                  No, nothing that elaborate It's all cosmetic.
                  The stacked black bobbins are dummies. The bottom bobbin is trimmed to allow the flatwork/PCB from the Dimarzio to fit in and the top bobbin is wound with black string so it wouldn't disturb the load on the Dimarzio.

Here you can see the dummy bobbins and the ears cut off of the Dimarzio PCB/flatwork.

Name:	DSCN1883.JPG
Size:	229.8 KB
ID:	828209

The pickup is basically just a Dimarzio DP192 fitted to a full size base plate so it looks like a full size pickup.

Comment

He may also like just a plain full sized blade bucker.
                    I have made several of these, and you can do one or 2 magnets.
                    Mojotone Humbucker Blade Pickup Bobbin Black
                    T
                    "If Hitler invaded Hell, I would make at least a favourable reference of the Devil in the House of Commons." Winston Churchill
                    Terry

Comment

I hear ya Terry but he swears by the DP192's and wanted one that looked full size and that's all there was to it.

I don't care.. if someone wants a boat with 3 propellers I'll make em a boat with 3 propellers. As long as they're happy

Comment

And as long as two of those propellers are't turning backwards..

Comment

Originally posted by David King View Post
                          And as long as two of those propellers are't turning backwards..
                          The 3 props was a reference to a Honeymooners episode where Ralph found $75,000.00 on his bus.
                          He got to keep it when nobody claimed it so he quit his job then started acting like a big shot.

Wearing a smoking jacket he was on the phone and was saying "Well, if you don't have a boat with 3 propellers I'll shop elsewhere"

Guess you had to see it. Pretty funny
                          Bottom line, give the customer what they want or lose out.

Found it! http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...bOjPwQ#t=1028s
                          Last edited by Stratz; 02-25-2013, 09:20 PM.

Comment

Working...
                          X