• Show
Clear All

• Thought I would share with you

Click image for larger version

Name:	photo(1).JPG
Views:	1
Size:	2.00 MB
ID:	867169

Those that look closely enough will notice one thing - the start wire isnt tucked under the coil.

Since these sometimes break, resulting in an irreparable pickup, I came up with a solution.

I wind at least 3-4 turns of wire onto the bobbin mount bar on the winder and secure the end with a small piece of tape, then feed the wire around the bobbin a few turns before I start winding. When done. I carefully remove it all from the bar,(wire first, then bobbin) and wrap the start excess around then tie it off into the eyelet. Then I tie off the finish. Now, if it ever breaks, there is plenty to repair with and the pickup wont be a ruined waste of wire forever.

-Rob

Cool, but where is the fun in that?
    Only thing I see wrong, is that when done you still have a noisy Single Coil P/U.
    Yes, I make the Noisy things too, but with all the good buckers, I'm using the SCs less and less!
    I still like my start leads on the bottom, SCs, and Humbuckers.
    T
    Last edited by big_teee; 03-07-2013, 04:32 PM.
    "If Hitler invaded Hell, I would make at least a favourable reference of the Devil in the House of Commons." Winston Churchill
    Terry

Comment

Originally posted by big_teee View Post
      Cool, but where is the fun in that?
      Only thing I see wrong, is that when done you still have a noisy Single Coil P/U.
      Yes, I make the Noisy things too, but with all the good buckers, I'm using them less and less!
      T
      Single coils, bah humbucker

Comment

I use a similar technique on all my HB bobbins... and the noisy ones too.
        aka R.A.D --
        Guitar Logistics

Comment

For a Fender type of single coil, here's what I do; wrap your start wire in the eyelet first, then give it a few wraps around the bobbin close to the bottom flange. Then start winding. When you are done wrap the finish end in the other eyelet. Then I solder both eyelets and test the coil. Then I drop it in the wax for 10 minutes. After it's cool I solder the leads on. Oh and tape your magnets first!
          Last edited by David Schwab; 03-08-2013, 12:43 AM.
          It would be possible to describe everything scientifically, but it would make no sense; it would be without meaning, as if you described a Beethoven symphony as a variation of wave pressure. — Albert Einstein

http://coneyislandguitars.com
          www.soundcloud.com/davidravenmoon

Comment

Originally posted by David Schwab View Post
            For a Fender type of single coil, here's what I do; wrap your start wire in the eyelet first, then give it a few wraps around the bobbin close to the bottom flange. Then start winding. When you are done wrap the finish end in the other eyelet. Then I solder both eyelets and test the coil. Then I drop it in the wax for 10 minutes. After it's cool I solder the leads on.
            Similar here, but I put the wires on before potting.
            T
            "If Hitler invaded Hell, I would make at least a favourable reference of the Devil in the House of Commons." Winston Churchill
            Terry

Comment

Originally posted by big_teee View Post
              Similar here, but I put the wires on before potting.
              T
              I guess that makes it easier to fish out of the wax! Maybe I'll start doing that too. I'm used to doing the wires last because of the way I build my other pickups.

I've been winding a lot of single coils lately.
              It would be possible to describe everything scientifically, but it would make no sense; it would be without meaning, as if you described a Beethoven symphony as a variation of wave pressure. — Albert Einstein

http://coneyislandguitars.com
              www.soundcloud.com/davidravenmoon

Comment

I use plastic and some cloth, and I think the cloth looks cool after it's been wax potted.
                Strictly Cosmetic.
                Terry

Comment

I also put the wire on first. After potting I then tap the holes and magnetize last. So does everyone tap the holes for the customer? I would think so but maybe your sending out self tapping screws with them....?
                  Roadhouse Pickups

Comment

Originally posted by Magnut View Post
                    I also put the wire on first. After potting I then tap the holes and magnetize last. So does everyone tap the holes for the customer? I would think so but maybe your sending out self tapping screws with them....?
                    Pickup mounting screws are not self-tapping, so I always thread the holes before sending them out.

-Rob

Comment

Working...
                    X