Poly/Nylon insulation?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Poly/Nylon insulation?

Does anybody have experience with Poly / Nylon insulation? I'm new at this, and have wound 3 surprisingly nice sounding strat pups using stew mac gear. However the wire price is nuts! I have a chance to buy 42AWG poly/nylon at about $14 lb. Spec sheet is here if you're that adventurous.

It's a superior essex product.

http://www.essexgroup.com/Products_S...eronFS_155.pdf
    www.chevalierpickups.com

Sure., Roll with it...although I don't deal with essex. As you get more time in on winding, there are certain things that you will like about different wire manifactures. For the price, go for it. MAke sure its not a double build insulation, unless thats what you are looking for.

Comment

The StewMac wire is poly-coated, but not solderon, so you have to strip the ends. So your new wire should be pretty much the same thing tone wise.

The StewMac wire is good to try out winding, since it's hard to get small rolls, but it's way too expensive (as is a lot of their stuff).
      It would be possible to describe everything scientifically, but it would make no sense; it would be without meaning, as if you described a Beethoven symphony as a variation of wave pressure. — Albert Einstein

http://coneyislandguitars.com
      www.soundcloud.com/davidravenmoon

Comment

Originally posted by David Schwab View Post
        The StewMac wire is good to try out winding, since it's hard to get small rolls, but it's way too expensive (as is a lot of their stuff).
        Any ideas on where to buy the flat work? Please don't tell me you guys make your own!
        www.chevalierpickups.com

Comment

Originally posted by chevalij View Post
          Any ideas on where to buy the flat work? Please don't tell me you guys make your own!
          Ummmm.... OK, I wont!

I'm not typical of the makers here... I use printed circuit board for my bass pickups.
          It would be possible to describe everything scientifically, but it would make no sense; it would be without meaning, as if you described a Beethoven symphony as a variation of wave pressure. — Albert Einstein

Comment

Well, dug in a bought a spool. Works out to about 8.6 lbs, total cost was $117.33. By my calc, that's $13.64 a lb. So, I'm gonna call Stew Mac and tell them to shove it! I wonder if he'll answer the phone himself ?
            www.chevalierpickups.com

Comment

Well, dug in a bought a spool. Works out to about 8.6 lbs, total cost was $117.33. By my calc, that's $13.64 a lb. So, I'm gonna call Stew Mac and tell them to shove it!
              Stew Mac gets their wire from Schatten Design, who sells it for the same price. I'm sure he gets a big roll and re spools it. He also sells 44 gauge wire. And that winder everyone loves to hate!

I wonder if he'll answer the phone himself ?
              Who? There is no one named Stew Mac.. although back in 1968 there were two guys, one named C. E. Stewart and Bill MacDonald, who started the company selling banjo parts. But they aren't there either.

I remember the first catalog I got from them was all banjo parts. This was before email and stuff. So I had top drop them another letter and ask for the guitar parts catalog.

Comment

[QUOTE=David Schwab;24379]Stew Mac gets their wire from Schatten Design, who sells it for the same price. I'm sure he gets a big roll and re spools it. He also sells 44 gauge wire. And that winder everyone loves to hate!

Schatten Design is about 20 minutes from my house. He gets his wire at the exact same place I bought mine, which is 3 minutes from my house. And for a fee, they will re-spool it for you. So, I don't think Schatten does a thing except charge Stewmac prices. They also make cutting dies and sell something so close to grey forbon, I've asked for a quote. Oh yeah, and they will cut the flatwork for about 20 cents a piece!! If I could mine a good magnet source, I could sell this stuff cheap
                www.chevalierpickups.com

Comment

That sounds like a good source! Sounds like Les gets his wire their too.

Comment

Working...
                  X