Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can someone tell me what's so great about this wire?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can someone tell me what's so great about this wire?

So, I'm doing the usual browsing through eBay for 42 awg wire just in case a bargain shows up, and I see this for $80/lb. Uhhhh, what? I've paid 50+ for PE before, but how is $80 for this justifiable? Pardon my ignorance, but I honestly don't know what Purple Electrisol is, or who considers it the premier pickup wire. Am I missing something?

1 Pound of 42 AWG Purple Electrosol 155GRN for Winding Pickups | eBay

Likewise, there's $100 price tag on a lb of Gibson vintage green wire....seriously? I know having the Gibson name attached to it will inflate the price beyond reason, and I suppose for someone doing a rewind of a vintage T-Top maybe this is a necessity....

1 lb of Gibson Used Green 42 AWG Pickup Wire to Wind Vintage PAF Style Pups | eBay

The green wire in Gibson history showed up real briefly in the first TTops, I've only encountered it once in one coil on a first year '65 TTop set. But that doesn't mean the wire on Ebay is from 1965 either. You can buy green wire now days, but its just green, thats all. Nothing special. The seller doesn't provide any details other than its green, and its "Gibson?" Uh huh......?
    http://www.SDpickups.com
    Stephens Design Pickups

Comment

caveat emptor! Its relatively easy to pay too much for anything...I once got a quote (from MWS I believe) for some 44 AWG Gold plated silver wire with fusible coating and it was like $10k for 5lb...should have saved that letter...

Comment

Wow! You could have charged soooo much for your pickups that someone out there would just HAVE to have them
        "Take two placebos, works twice as well." Enzo

"Now get off my lawn with your silicooties and boom-chucka speakers and computers masquerading as amplifiers" Justin Thomas

"If you're not interested in opinions and the experience of others, why even start a thread?
        You can't just expect consent." Helmholtz

Comment

Originally posted by Bryan Jeppson View Post
          Pardon my ignorance, but I honestly don't know what Purple Electrisol is, or who considers it the premier pickup wire. Am I missing something?
          MAYBE it's plain enamel.

Here's a pound for $58. Also from Elektrisola.

42 AWG Plain Enamel Magnet Wire Details | Remington Industries

Now to show the price difference in price, here's a pound of poly wire for $29

42 AWG Enameled Copper Magnet Wire - Red Details | Remington Industries

One is not better than the other, just different.

In both of those cases you don't know where that wire came from. There are no manufacturer labels on them. (and I wouldn't trust anyone that doesn't know how to set the white point on their camera for indoor light )
          Last edited by David Schwab; 04-07-2013, 07:19 PM.
          It would be possible to describe everything scientifically, but it would make no sense; it would be without meaning, as if you described a Beethoven symphony as a variation of wave pressure. — Albert Einstein

http://coneyislandguitars.com
          www.soundcloud.com/davidravenmoon

Comment

...and remember that asking prices on eBay mean nothing. Anybody can ask any price for what they consider, or want you to consider, a treasure.

Comment

The purple wire is Poly...... SMH.

-Rob

Comment

Working...
              X