Nasally strat tone

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nasally strat tone

When I have a chance I wind a few pickups for my friends or myself ,But this is something I have struggled to resolve
    When winding a traditional strat bridge pickup (I find this more noticeable with over-wound pickups ) but I get this nasally sound which is quite noticeable when you play down the neck & very noticeable on the D & G strings
    I use 42 gauge spn handwound to aprox 140 turns from side to side & I use standard height bobbins & A5 magnets close to fully charged ,What would I have to do to correct this ?

Originally posted by GroundskeeperWillie View Post
    When I have a chance I wind a few pickups for my friends or myself ,But this is something I have struggled to resolve
    When winding a traditional strat bridge pickup (I find this more noticeable with over-wound pickups ) but I get this nasally sound which is quite noticeable when you play down the neck & very noticeable on the D & G strings
    I use 42 gauge spn handwound to aprox 140 turns from side to side & I use standard height bobbins & A5 magnets close to fully charged ,What would I have to do to correct this ?
    Where are you getting your magnets, I've found more bad a5 rods than good, and frankly I don't like the good ones still just not my tone. I however love a3 and 4 rods. Maybe try diff mags or diff supplier. Also what do you mean By 140 turns? Should be in the 8500 turn range to get into the hot side of the early 60's pickups. My best selling strat set is tall a3 mags wound to 8350. Woody transparent and punchy with lots of quack in parallel its a pretty standard cut and dry wind, I won't say my scatter winding is anything fancy or superior but I did get a lesson taking apart some old motor city rewinds that changed my perspective.

Comment

How much did you wind on the pickup? You are hearing the resonant peak. If you wind less, it will raise in frequency, and if you wind more, it will lower in frequency.

If you stick a piece of steel on the bottom of the pickup, you can fatten it up and it might sound smoother. A piece of brass on the bottom would probably also smooth out the tone a little.
      It would be possible to describe everything scientifically, but it would make no sense; it would be without meaning, as if you described a Beethoven symphony as a variation of wave pressure. — Albert Einstein

http://coneyislandguitars.com
      www.soundcloud.com/davidravenmoon

Comment

Originally posted by R.Madgwick View Post
        Where are you getting your magnets, I've found more bad a5 rods than good, and frankly I don't like the good ones still just not my tone. I however love a3 and 4 rods. Maybe try diff mags or diff supplier. Also what do you mean By 140 turns? Should be in the 8500 turn range to get into the hot side of the early 60's pickups. My best selling strat set is tall a3 mags wound to 8350. Woody transparent and punchy with lots of quack in parallel its a pretty standard cut and dry wind, I won't say my scatter winding is anything fancy or superior but I did get a lesson taking apart some old motor city rewinds that changed my perspective.
        Thats 140 turns per layer
        What I tring to do is wind a hotter bridge strat pickup & around 9500 turns of 42 gauge or higher the tone gets nasally when you play up neck ,It really more noticable on the D & G string .
        Maybe thats why most winders keep there bridge models down to the low 7k range

Comment

How do you track turns per layer hand winding? Forgive me for my noviceness, I unfortunately hand guide and have my 'habits' that keep my pickups sounding like my pickups I guess, but I love to learn. I find strat bridges always sound pretty tinny if that's what you're referring to have you dabbled in 43/44 wires? I like a hot bridge around 12-13k of 44 matches up pretty nicely with 6.5kish mid/neck pickups and it darkens up a little and the added hotness helps to my ears as well. And I just haven't ever been able to make a a5 pickup I truly like in a strat, but I got a old van zandt single a5 that was broke, rewound it to 9k with 43 and I'm more fond of that then most a5 pickups I've done, and the only thing I can relate it to is whatever magnets he has are just right, maybe degaussed or just better alloy than I have access too.

Comment

Thats 140 turns per layer
            What I tring to do is wind a hotter bridge strat pickup & around 9500 turns of 42 gauge or higher the tone gets nasally when you play up neck ,It really more noticable on the D & G string .
            What kind of magnets are you using? Try Alnico II.
            It would be possible to describe everything scientifically, but it would make no sense; it would be without meaning, as if you described a Beethoven symphony as a variation of wave pressure. — Albert Einstein

http://coneyislandguitars.com
            www.soundcloud.com/davidravenmoon

Comment

I have done quite a bit of experimenting with strat bridge pickups.
              Here is some things you can try.
              Try a shorter bobbin spacing, in the .420-.425" range.
              Try going to Single build wire on the bridge, either PE, or SPN.
              Try a 4/2 magnet layout, 4 A2s, and 2 A5s on the A, & E.
              I bet you will come up with something you will like.
              T
              "If Hitler invaded Hell, I would make at least a favourable reference of the Devil in the House of Commons." Winston Churchill
              Terry

Comment

the tone gets nasally when you play up neck ,It really more noticable on the D & G string
                Wolfnotes (aka stratitis)? just a thought as it become more prominent up the neck (=strings closer to the magnet). SImple test: back the pickups down a bit and see if anything changes.

Comment

Working...
                X