No announcement yet.

Pickup winding

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I take that first statement back it could be 46 as the longer 7 string bobbin would probably make things a bit brighter having a longer coil. I know for a fact the bare knuckle war pig is 45awg @ 21-22k and that's fatter and darker than my super 3 but it could be the 1/4-3/8 tall ceramic dimarzio stuffs in that thing

Comment

Output is subjective to turns wind 42 and 44 to 5k the 42 sounds louder the signal has less resistance across the same distance, also dynamics play a huge role, the more the strings move the more output, gauges play a role, what magnet, brass plates vs nickel silver etc... don't over think it just start stiffing wire on coils some win some lose, output will only really matter when pairing pickups imo

My personal strat has a 15k 44awg bridge that isn't any louder than my 42awg mid/neck both at 6.3. 11700ish winds on the bridge and 8500ish on the mid/neck all a3 single coils

Comment

Originally posted by R.Madgwick View Post
        Ive got a super 3 25kohm dimarzio its not 44 or 46 unless its mismatched coils I've done a few 30k winds with 46 and they're brighter than my s3 pup. There's a lot of compression when using pups that high, you lose dynamics and attack but gain mid range like crazy. For metal they sound great put a 7 string in drop Ab and watch most pickups have to much bass, having the eq focused on the mid range let's you control top and bottom on the amp or post-fx. I have a spool of 48 but I break it in the first hundred winds every time I try lop. If you got any high output questions I'm happy to help its sort of my specialty and where I started, I'm a founding but ex member of dweller and play generally death core/metal ans the opposite end of the spectrum blues/classic rock
        Aren't you talking Humbucker here with the super 3.
        He is talking Stacked pickups, that fit in a SC Strat pickguard hole?
        T
        "If Hitler invaded Hell, I would make at least a favourable reference of the Devil in the House of Commons." Winston Churchill
        Terry

Comment

Originally posted by krulty View Post
          but according to SD's tone chart 25k is its full DC, its tapped DC is around 12 DC. the YJM is a full humbucker just stacked for single coil looks. Main reason I'm trying to work this out is I want to make a pup with a similar tone. but in a true humbucker build, not a stacked single
          Terry this is what I guess my posts were in regards to. But you won't get a stacked single tone or even a rod magnet tone from a standard humbucker. Use strat flatwork tops and make your own bobbins with rod magnets you will achieve something but again it won't sound like a stacked single, it'll sound like a high resonant peaked humbucker.

Comment

Originally posted by krulty View Post
            Hi I'm curious if anyone knows how to make a high DC resistance pickup with only moderate output? if you look at the SD YJM fury, the bridge has a 25.65k DC and a 25.45k DC on the neck! but its got moderate output! HOW???? As far as I know, to get that high a DC the pickup needs to be over wound. but normally a pickup wound enough to hit that high a DC would be hotter then watching a strip show at a Caribbean volcano while eating raw chillies. So anyone know how its done? is it the wire gauge? maybe a special coating on the wire? any ideas?
            They are stacked humbuckers. With stacked humbuckers you get a lower output, and they are very bright. So to compensate they wind a lot of thinner wire on them. That's why mnost stacked humbuckers are around 25k. Thinner wire has a higher resistance per foot.

That fattens them up tone wise, but they are still moderate output.

Remember that Malmsteen used to use DiMarzio HS-3 stacked pickups. They are 23.72 K.
            It would be possible to describe everything scientifically, but it would make no sense; it would be without meaning, as if you described a Beethoven symphony as a variation of wave pressure. — Albert Einstein

http://coneyislandguitars.com
            www.soundcloud.com/davidravenmoon

Comment

Working...
            X