Would anybody buy flatwork?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Would anybody buy flatwork?

Although I'm just getting into winding (yes, another damn newbie), I've found places like Stewmac to be expensive. When I was buying wire, the company I chose told me they also make dies and punch various materials. If I could get a good forbon substitue and a set of dies made, would anybody be interested in purchasing Strat flatwork? Not sure of cost yet, but from what I calculated (read guessed)would be about $1.20 a pickup. I don't want to get a set of dies made, buy material and end up with 3000 sets of flatwork!
    www.chevalierpickups.com

i would be interested.

please take note...if you don't get much of a response to this inquiry, don't let that deter you....why?....because many folks come on the forum and promise parts but nothing ever materializes...folks are tired of responding

All I have to say is make em and people will buy...that is if they are high quality parts. Folks here want the good stuff....no junk.

If you decide to go forward with it, make sure you provide the vendor with a control/mechanical drawing and even request to see a prototype (you might have to pay a little for this though)...but a least you know it will be done to your specs.
    www.guitarforcepickups.com

Comment

I realize the implications. I've read the ZAMM postings about parts that never materialized. I've already sent them a dimensioned CAD dwg of the layout for both top and bottom pieces. I should have a quote for the dies by Monday - Tuesday. From that, it will be material price. They have something that looks itentical to 70's grey in both required thicknesses. If the die cost is not limiting, I may do it regardless of interest. I would provide a free sample to those few interested, they can decide on the quality level they require from there.
      www.chevalierpickups.com

Comment

If you are going to make Grey flatwork and it's quality I'll buy from you.
        Send me a PM when you are ready to sell them.
        Bryan Gunsher
        http://www.bg-pups.com
        https://www.facebook.com/BGPups

Comment

I'm in

Of course like stated in a previous post, we have been down this road too many times and nothing at all in the end. ZAMM, I think it was dr. x or dr strangelove promised parts and I think they are still working on it but no updates is not a good sign.

You bring em, we'll buy em.....

Comment

yep

Quality will be the key!
            It's just wire wrapped around some magnets!

Comment

I got shot down aswell due to Allparts already purchasing from the company I was trying to work with.

Comment

If it's any good I'll buy from you too.

Comment

Zamm

Well Z asked for recommendations for specific parts we would be willing to buy and there was no answer. I think if you got nickel silver tele covers they would sell since no one is selling them anymore from Korea. I know the japanese are still making them. Tele base plates better than stewmac I would also buy, so there's two things that would sell. Stuff like bucker parts gets tricky because there's different pole spreads and not everyone wants the same thing.

Yeah we'd probably all buy flatwork from you but flatwork isn't all the same. LIke Guitar Jones tele baseplates don't fit american bridges, some tele neck flatwork has indentations cut in for the bend over tabs, which I hate. Some flatwork I've seen on guitar jones bobbins has the hole for the leads too close to the coil so your leads bump into the cover if you wind a coil that has any fatness at all.

So you'd be taking a risk no matter how you look at it. I don't think your quote is going to be cheap, but would like to know what they quote.
                  http://www.SDpickups.com
                  Stephens Design Pickups

Comment

Originally posted by Possum View Post
                    Yeah we'd probably all buy flatwork from you but flatwork isn't all the same. LIke Guitar Jones tele baseplates don't fit american bridges, some tele neck flatwork has indentations cut in for the bend over tabs, which I hate. Some flatwork I've seen on guitar jones bobbins has the hole for the leads too close to the coil so your leads bump into the cover if you wind a coil that has any fatness at all.

So you'd be taking a risk no matter how you look at it. I don't think your quote is going to be cheap, but would like to know what they quote.
                    I gave a drawing based on the Stewmac strat flatwork. I was promised a quote Today or tomorrow. I hope it's tomorrow cause today is gone! Based on the design, I think it will have to be a two stage punch. one for the outer shape, one for the holes. I will keep you posted. If they come back with a quote over $600 for the dies, I will probably bail.
                    www.chevalierpickups.com

Comment

Your right in the ball park, think right around 7. One draw too,possibly. Depends who makes it.

Comment

####

I bet its going to be alot over $600...
                        I do know that DiMarzio's old supplier did them in two different punches....
                        http://www.SDpickups.com
                        Stephens Design Pickups

Comment

About $3000.00 per punch for the simpler designs. That's $3000.00 for a strat top forbon punch and die, and $3000.00 for a strat bottom forbon punch and die.

Now, consider J bass, P bass, tele neck (top and bottom) tele bridge (top and bottom), etc. etc.

Gets a little expensive.

Doctor X

P.S. I forgot to add...these prices are on the cheap side, because I knew the tool and die maker. The price is usually closer to $5000.00 PER punch and die combo. Add in the cost of the forbon sheet (to you, not to the tool and die co.) and the price per punched part. Which changes as you go from 1,000 to 5,000, to 10,000 piece runs (it gets cheaper the more you order -- like anything else).

And we haven't even talked about injection mold prices yet. Try around $10,000.00 per mold for starters. How many different pieces are injection molded?

(Ka-ching!!)

DiMarzio's tool and die guy was a small outfit a few miles away from the shop. In the beginning, he pieced his humbucking bobbins together out of God knows what before he had his first injection molds made. He paid the bill for that one on installments. The market took care of the rest in short order.
                          Last edited by DoctorX; 06-26-2007, 11:00 PM. Reason: additional note...

Comment

Originally posted by DoctorX View Post
                            About $3000.00 per punch for the simpler designs. That's $3000.00 for a strat top forbon punch and die, and $3000.00 for a strat bottom forbon punch and die.

Now, consider J bass, P bass, tele neck (top and bottom) tele bridge (top and bottom), etc. etc.

Gets a little expensive.

Doctor X

Hey Doctor X, wasn't it you getting parts made? Hows that coming along?

Comment

So, $6000 for a set of dies... Oh well, that's what the gold Amex is for Could also pay for my funeral when the wife see's the bill. Still haven't seen a quote from my supposed "supplier". Gonna have to call tomorrow and find out what's up. They had to send the quote out to a jobber shop.
                              www.chevalierpickups.com

Comment

Working...
                              X