Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ovation UKII pickups

Hello,
    Probably won't get any replies but here goes. Does any one know about the construction of the pickups on these guitars. Apparently they are humbuckers with a coil split switch. I have searched but all that is said about the guitars is that they indeed have humbuckers. It supposed to have 10,000 winds but no information on gauge or if that number is split between the two coils. Any information would be appreciated.

Originally posted by SpareRibs View Post
    Hello,
    Probably won't get any replies but here goes. Does any one know about the construction of the pickups on these guitars. Apparently they are humbuckers with a coil split switch. I have searched but all that is said about the guitars is that they indeed have humbuckers. It supposed to have 10,000 winds but no information on gauge or if that number is split between the two coils. Any information would be appreciated.
    Looks like some form of a mini bucker.
    http://www.rocknrollvintage.com/prod...-White-Big.jpg
    If it is a regular magnetic pickup it should be easy enough to emulate.
    T
    "If Hitler invaded Hell, I would make at least a favourable reference of the Devil in the House of Commons." Winston Churchill
    Terry

Comment

I sat through a lecture in 1988 with the fellow who did these pickups for Ovation.. IIRC he also did pickup work for Guild. I bet he's still around in Rhode island or Connecticut. The ovation pickup may be similar to some of the Guild ones.

Comment

Hello,
        One of the facts mentioned about the pickups is that the blades are nonmagnetic. What other material could be used?

Comment

Hmm. Non magnetic blades? I suppose they could be a non-magnetic stainless 8-18 or 303 but why? Much more likely that they are modestly magnetic stainless alloy.
          Last edited by David King; 09-14-2013, 05:17 PM.

Comment

They probably mean that they aren't permanently magnetized, being charged by a magnet, or several, from below. Just my 2 öre (1/100 of a swedish crown, not worth very much at all indeed)

Comment

Hello,
              One of the facts mentioned about the pickups is that the blades are nonmagnetic. What other material could be used?
              That's nonsense. The pickup would not work if the blades where non magnetic, unless they are just for show.
              It would be possible to describe everything scientifically, but it would make no sense; it would be without meaning, as if you described a Beethoven symphony as a variation of wave pressure. — Albert Einstein

http://coneyislandguitars.com
              www.soundcloud.com/davidravenmoon

Comment

Originally posted by David Schwab View Post
                That's nonsense. The pickup would not work if the blades where non magnetic, unless they are just for show.
                Hello,
                As I was searching for information on the internet that was a comment posted about them. I was not stating it as a fact.

Comment

Hello,
                  As I was searching for information on the internet that was a comment posted about them. I was not stating it as a fact.
                  Lots of people say lots of things on the internet. Some people think we didn't land on the moon, and that the Earth is 4,000 years old, and that paper-in-oil caps sound different from a ceramic cap in a guitar tone control circuit, and they make web pages about it and post in forums. it's up to you do figure what's real and make believe. The old saying is "don't believe everything you read" and consider the source of the information.

If you understand even a little bit about how pickups work, and look at all the pickups on the market, you will know that pole pieces or blades must be ferromagnetic, or the pickup won't work.
                  It would be possible to describe everything scientifically, but it would make no sense; it would be without meaning, as if you described a Beethoven symphony as a variation of wave pressure. — Albert Einstein

http://coneyislandguitars.com
                  www.soundcloud.com/davidravenmoon

Comment

Hello,
                    I just ask a question! I also stated one of the things that was posted on the internet pertaining to the pickups. I did not stat it as fact. I am also aware that a blade should be magnetic, that is why it struck me as odd enough to ask. The source would seem to be reliable, however you can judge for yourself if you will take the time.
                    ( Welcome to the Ovation Fan Club, Get Plugged In !!!) scroll down to UKII 1980-1983. It deals with the UKII guitar and the pickups created for it.

Comment

Hello chaps

I wiould hazard a guess that non magnetic rails mean not magnets ie iron rails as opposed to alnico or ceramic rails. Just my thrupence worth.
                      Cheers

Andrew
                      Hello,
                      I just ask a question! I also stated one of the things that was posted on the internet pertaining to the pickups. I did not stat it as fact. I am also aware that a blade should be magnetic, that is why it struck me as odd enough to ask. The source would seem to be reliable, however you can judge for yourself if you will take the time.
                      ( Welcome to the Ovation Fan Club, Get Plugged In !!!) scroll down to UKII 1980-1983. It deals with the UKII guitar and the pickups created for it.

Comment

Spareribs,

You stated "One of the facts mentioned about the pickups is that the blades are nonmagnetic."
                        Now you claim " I did not stat it as fact."
                        I realize that you are probably using "One of the facts" as a vernacular turn of phase. That's all well and fine but us nit pickers will pick them nits to death given a chance.
                        Meanwhile thanks for the link. That's very helpful. It states:
                        "2 high-output double-coil humbuckers with non-magnetic rails each with 1/8 in alnico bar margets wired both series and parallel with 10,000 winds per coil. Patented adjustible tri-mount"
                        As several have surmised before I think it's safe to assume that the rails are a "soft" magnetic material that won't hold a magnetic charge on their own, hence the need for the alnico bars.

Comment

Hi Peter

Sorry missed your post and posted almost the same thing. Clever minds think alike

Cheers

Andrew
                          Originally posted by Peter Naglitsch View Post
                          They probably mean that they aren't permanently magnetized, being charged by a magnet, or several, from below. Just my 2 öre (1/100 of a swedish crown, not worth very much at all indeed)

Comment

Originally posted by David King View Post
                            Spareribs,

You stated "One of the facts mentioned about the pickups is that the blades are nonmagnetic."
                            Now you claim " I did not stat it as fact."
                            I realize that you are probably using "One of the facts" as a vernacular turn of phase. That's all well and fine but us nit pickers will pick them nits to death given a chance.
                            Meanwhile thanks for the link. That's very helpful. It states:

As several have surmised before I think it's safe to assume that the rails are a "soft" magnetic material that won't hold a magnetic charge on their own, hence the need for the alnico bars.
                            Hello,
                            Did it not also state in the link there were two chrome plated nonmagnetic blades. That was my question. I will be very hesitant to ask
                            anything else.

Comment

Spareribs, head over to the wikipedia article on magnets and read up on the differences between hard and soft permeability or some such.

Comment

Working...
                              X