No announcement yet.

Rowe pups

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cheers for the confidence Wade but I gotta complete the set of guitars first and I think there is about 8. If it was just bodies and necks it would all be over next month but there is knobs and switches to mold, bridges to make and the dreaded pups, so maybe at the end of the year I can think of what to do. Learning a lot here about pups but believe me scooped mids sounds like a spoonful out of the centre of the ice cream tub to me and although it is gonna be fun, making the complete item is nearer my heart. Gotta keep learning gotta keep fafin about as to what is round the corner. I'm one of those people unfortunately that if my brain stops thinking then the rest of me will go tits up.

Comment

Smiles to you friend!! Thanks for sharing.

Comment

Hi guys, time for me to go on a different tack. The paper top is the one causing my problem here and need to sort out. David mentioned phenolic sheeting, Possom mentioned fishpaper but then said no and at the mo i'm thinking phenolic or bakelite, but back to the paper thingy. The pup I had in my hand (for unfortunately only a few mins) I looked at the top and my first thoughts were the thinnest piece of spring steel I'd ever seen, sharp as a razor and very, very stiff. but have had my presses running for two days with just about every type of paper. veneer backing fleece(thats fiborous) Fibreglass tissue in fact paper glue and resins coming out of my ears. I can now make paper 20thou thick and good enough to slice bread, but does it look right only god knows. Now the £64,000 question, has anybody out there got a top or a pup knackered or cut in half even, that I can beg, steal, borrow, buy, rent return or whatever with the costs down to me so I can analyze the bloody thing and get the bugger right. Thanks for reading this if you have just done that and sorry it's so flaming long as per. Jonson

Comment

I had one of those monkey on a stick pickups. It was a Rhythm Chief 1000 with the red insert. I remember the bobbin had some kind of very thin shiny black plastic on the top. The plastic broke and the coil unraveled. Boy that was a great sounding pickup!

So maybe some kind of very thin plastic would work. I have a thin sheet of styrene I'm going to try using for bobbin flatwork.
          It would be possible to describe everything scientifically, but it would make no sense; it would be without meaning, as if you described a Beethoven symphony as a variation of wave pressure. — Albert Einstein

http://coneyislandguitars.com
          www.soundcloud.com/davidravenmoon

Comment

Working...
          X