Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Highpass filter...?

Hei everyone.

I´ve been in here some time, great forum. Have decided to make my own pickups too. Still searching for parts and everything that it takes..... Have made the SeymourDuncan Hybrids, Custom/59, wonder if any of you experienced pickupmakers have tried one. How would you describe the tone compared to the one you make yourself??? I love the Custom/59/A8 hybrid that I got now.

I have been working on the problem with treble-loss when turning down the volume. The need for one seems to change with pickups... What´s the opinion here?

I am assuming that you tried placing a small cap on your volume pot as that is typically the way most deal with high frequency roll off. There are a variety of opinions on this as to what sounds best. Obviously, whatever you think sounds best is best. I have used both a sigle capacitor and the capacitor wired in series with a resistor (Usually about 130k). Depending on whether or not you are using single coils or humbuckers, the value of the cap will vary. Hope this helps.

Comment

Originally posted by Keith2112 View Post
      I have used.....the capacitor wired in series with a resistor (Usually about 130k). .
      This is what's known as the Kinman mod (regardless of whoever originally came up with it), which I'm sure you knew, Keith, just saying this for the original poster. Kinman ships a .0012uf cap and a 130k resistor with each of his pickups.

I have not tried every imaginable hi-pass filter but of those I've tried, the Kinman mod is by far the best, and to my ear it works just as well on humbuckers as single coils, though I think it sounds better with 500k pots than 250's.

Still sounds great on a 250k, which it was designed for, but the effect on a 500k when you roll back the volume slightly (to about 8, 8-1/2) is like going from modern to vintage, like you're switching the pickup mag from an A5 to an A2 -- the top gets really vintage sweet.

Comment

Ok, should´ve said I´m new on this forum, but not new in guitarelectronics. Only pickupmaking I use a 220k resistor in series with a 220pF or a 330pF, and have a 1Mohm resistor parallel to those. But it seems the kinman (RC series) or Seymour (RC parallel) is what people use. Mine is a combination, but with other values. I builded a testguitar to try out any possible pickupvariation, and passive combinations, and ended up with my combination. To both singlecoil and humbuckers. Just wondered if highpassfilter were used by you guys. By reading this forum I got the impression that your own pickups are brighter/clearer that stock. So is there need for highpass....

Comment

Originally posted by SteikBacon View Post
          By reading this forum I got the impression that your own pickups are brighter/clearer that stock. So is there need for highpass....
          Depends entirely on which of us winders' pickups you're talking about and which stock pickups you're talking about -- and the tonal personality of the individual guitar and how the existing volume pot sounds when you roll it back. But in my opinion most volume pots sound better with the Kinman RC hi-pass or something similar, regardless of what pickups you have in there.

Comment

Originally posted by SteikBacon View Post
            Ok, should´ve said I´m new on this forum, but not new in guitarelectronics. Only pickupmaking I use a 220k resistor in series with a 220pF or a 330pF, and have a 1Mohm resistor parallel to those. But it seems the kinman (RC series) or Seymour (RC parallel) is what people use. Mine is a combination, but with other values. I builded a testguitar to try out any possible pickupvariation, and passive combinations, and ended up with my combination. To both singlecoil and humbuckers. Just wondered if highpassfilter were used by you guys. By reading this forum I got the impression that your own pickups are brighter/clearer that stock. So is there need for highpass....
            I have been told by numerous customers that mine don't lose treble when lowering the volume and that is a sign of a good pickup. I don't know, I only use my stuff and don't really know whats going on in the OEM world so to speak. Only the occasional clip or other guitarists playing and then don't really ask about it.

I'd say scatter and tension are the biggest factors but what combination is all up to you and your taste.

Oh and I don't mean to sound like mine are exclusive like that, I would think all the winders here get the same results, at least the ones I have heard do. Peace...

Comment

Working...
            X