Lane Poor three coil humbucker

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lane Poor three coil humbucker

I'm planning to make a three coil humbucker similar to Lane Poor MM. If I've understood correct it has two similar coils side by side with opposite coil. Similar coils can be switched on with opposite coil so that the pickup senses narrower or wider portion of the string. Do I get it right?

Like this

N....S....S
    on..on

or

N....S....S
    on........on

I'm not familiar with this pickup, Marko, though l'm sure you''ll get a reply soon. But it occurs to me, with a three way on-on-on switch this pickup could also be switched s-s for a "quacking", out of phase sound, if that's something you would want to try. Just a thought.

Comment

The Dual Voice (mm4-dv) pickups I had around at one time had one wide aperture and one narrow aperture armature. Each armature had two coils in sidewinder configuration.
      Bartolini did make a triple coil mm pickup, the middle coil was a dummy i.e. no magnets.

Comment

Seymour Duncan has a 3 coil MM pickup.
        Not sure I understand the placement of the coils.
        Looks one side may be stacked?
        4/5 string for Music Man® (3-coil alnico) SMB-4a & 5a - Seymour Duncan 4-String
        "If Hitler invaded Hell, I would make at least a favourable reference of the Devil in the House of Commons." Winston Churchill
        Terry

Comment

I thought the Ernie Ball MM pickups were 2 active coils and a dummy on the back. Hopefully that Duncan uses unmagnetized slugs in the third coil not just longer magnets passing through two coils.

Comment

Ibanez does something similar on the ATK bass, and uses a 3 position switch with it.

Comment

It seems that Lane Poor put almost every possible armature in MM pickups. I guess I just have to try this three coil thing to find out how it sounds.

Comment

You can fit a lot of stuff in a MM cover.
                It would be possible to describe everything scientifically, but it would make no sense; it would be without meaning, as if you described a Beethoven symphony as a variation of wave pressure. — Albert Einstein

http://coneyislandguitars.com
                www.soundcloud.com/davidravenmoon

Comment

Done and tested. Three similar coils with ceramic magnet blade, 4500 rounds of 42 wire, two switchable coils RWRP. I was suprised how much difference in sound there is with only a bit over half an inch difference between coils. First one is narrow coils (coils next to each other), second is wide coils (about half an inch between coils). Pickup is in MM position, played just in front of pickup (pickup taped to the top of the bass making playing a bit difficult.)
                  Maihinnousu - Lataa - MPU - Dual sound ceramic MM
                  Marko

Comment

Originally posted by Marko Ursin View Post
                    Done and tested. Three similar coils with ceramic magnet blade, 4500 rounds of 42 wire, two switchable coils RWRP. I was suprised how much difference in sound there is with only a bit over half an inch difference between coils. First one is narrow coils (coils next to each other), second is wide coils (about half an inch between coils). Pickup is in MM position, played just in front of pickup (pickup taped to the top of the bass making playing a bit difficult.)
                    Maihinnousu - Lataa - MPU - Dual sound ceramic MM
                    Marko
                    Sounds great.
                    Not too muddy or over the top.
                    MM position, is that a few inches from the bridge?
                    Was your sound clip just pickups and Pots, no Active Preamp?
                    When you switch coils, are you playing them in series or parallel?
                    Thanks,
                    T
                    "If Hitler invaded Hell, I would make at least a favourable reference of the Devil in the House of Commons." Winston Churchill
                    Terry

Comment

No pots or anything, series all the time. MM position is about 85mm from the bridge.

Comment

Working...
                      X