Gibsons new Custom Buckers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gibsons new Custom Buckers

I've recently bought a 2013 Historic R9. This guitar sounds really good, both acoustically and electrified. In fact its the best Historic I owned - (5 in total, I played several more).

So, while being impressed with the sound of the guitar - I'm a bit confused when it comes to the anatomy of the new Custom Buckers (CB). The CB:s im my R9 do sound great, even compared to the excellent PU:s you folks here produce (I'm comparing with my PAF LAB's and Throbacks). The CB:s are potted, but still squeal with higher gain pedals, which leads me to to think that they didn't spend the full time in the "potting bath"? They are clear/3D/articulate and very PAF:ish - Gibson did something right here

Here is how Gibson describes the CB:s in Collectors chioce No 11:
    "Collector’s Choice™ 1959 Les Paul “Rosie” Made with Alnico III magnets, with coils scatter-wound to accurate specs and left unpotted".

And her's how Gibson describes a "regular" VOS R9 CB, like mine:
    "Gibson new Custom Bucker accurately recreates the original PAFs of the late ’50s, using Alnico III magnets and unequal turns of 42 AWG wire in each coil for that characteristic PAF “bite.” (Gibson don't mention that these CB:s are potted).

My question is - "scatter-wound to accurate PAF specs"? Really? Are PAF:s scatter wound?

I pot all my humbuckers with the covers on, but I don't make replica pickups.
    If Yours are made with butyrate bobbins, I would keep temp down around 130-135f degrees, for 10 minutes.
    Drain all the wax from the hot pickup. It will run out the corners.
    That will cure all cover and baseplate microphonics.
    T
    "If Hitler invaded Hell, I would make at least a favourable reference of the Devil in the House of Commons." Winston Churchill
    Terry

Comment

Originally posted by big_teee View Post
      I pot all my humbuckers with the covers on, but I don't make replica pickups.
      If Yours are made with butyrate bobbins, I would keep temp down around 130-135f degrees, for 10 minutes.
      Drain all the wax from the hot pickup. It will run out the corners.
      That will cure all cover and baseplate microphonics.
      T
      Thank you for your reply! - However, maybe I was unclear - My Q was whether the original PAF:s were scatterwound - as Gibson states in their description of their Collector’s Choice guitars.

Comment

I don't know about the scatter wound.
        The bobbin winding area is only 1/4-5/16 inches wide.
        It is hard to scatter wind in such a narrow area.
        Gibson of old machine wound their pickups.
        If CNC wound they may have a way to program a mild scatter.
        Scatter winding is more of a wide bobbin Fender Single Coil practice.
        Most hand winders Me included, try to use minimum scatter.
        Do you know what the Pickups in your guitar DCR ohms are?
        T
        "If Hitler invaded Hell, I would make at least a favourable reference of the Devil in the House of Commons." Winston Churchill
        Terry

Comment

Originally posted by orangedrop View Post
          I've recently bought a 2013 Historic R9. This guitar sounds really good, both acoustically and electrified. In fact its the best Historic I owned - (5 in total, I played several more).

So, while being impressed with the sound of the guitar - I'm a bit confused when it comes to the anatomy of the new Custom Buckers (CB). The CB:s im my R9 do sound great, even compared to the excellent PU:s you folks here produce (I'm comparing with my PAF LAB's and Throbacks). The CB:s are potted, but still squeal with higher gain pedals, which leads me to to think that they didn't spend the full time in the "potting bath"? They are clear/3D/articulate and very PAF:ish - Gibson did something right here

Here is how Gibson describes the CB:s in Collectors chioce No 11:
          "Collector’s Choice™ 1959 Les Paul “Rosie” Made with Alnico III magnets, with coils scatter-wound to accurate specs and left unpotted".

And her's how Gibson describes a "regular" VOS R9 CB, like mine:
          "Gibson new Custom Bucker accurately recreates the original PAFs of the late ’50s, using Alnico III magnets and unequal turns of 42 AWG wire in each coil for that characteristic PAF “bite.” (Gibson don't mention that these CB:s are potted).

My question is - "scatter-wound to accurate PAF specs"? Really? Are PAF:s scatter wound?

You don't really believe the stuff that Gibson prints ....Do you ? ....cough.. cough ...Bees
          "scatter-wound to accurate specs and left unpotted". Gibson never scatterwound any pickups that I've seen from the early 50's till now
          Always Machine wound with a almost perfect wind every turn -& any inperfections in the winding patern would not be considered Scatterwound .
          But if they claim they are unpotted -well they should be
          As for feed back ,It might not nessarly be the pickups a loose output jack on a overdrive pedal sitting infront of a 212 cab can cause similar feedback problems that might make you think you its the pickups .
          how high is high gain ? death metal ...?
          If it is the pickups ,may I ask if if both pickups feedback ?
          it could simply be the cover.
          "UP here in the Canada we shoot things we don't understand"

Comment

Originally posted by copperheadroads View Post
            "scatter-wound to accurate specs and left unpotted". Gibson never scatterwound any pickups that I've seen from the early 50's till now
            Eggsactly - as far as I know they always used machine (Lesona etc) and never scatter-wound. So, Gibsons text on their Collectors Choice is BS. At least as I understand it.

Comment

Gibson machine wound their pickups. Scatter winding implies hand wound.

Don't expect the current owner of Gibson to have a clue about the history of Gibson.
              It would be possible to describe everything scientifically, but it would make no sense; it would be without meaning, as if you described a Beethoven symphony as a variation of wave pressure. — Albert Einstein

http://coneyislandguitars.com
              www.soundcloud.com/davidravenmoon

Comment

Working...
              X