Dearmond Gold Foil Info & Rewinding

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by soundmasterg View Post
    Can you fit 8000 turns of 43 gauge on that pickup Jason?

Greg
    I'm obviously not Jason but there seems to be plenty of room for 8k turns of 43.

Comment

Lace sensors used refrigerator magnets.

Comment

Originally posted by David King View Post
        Lace sensors used refrigerator magnets.
        Is that why they sound better in the Kitchen?
        Just Kidding!
        "If Hitler invaded Hell, I would make at least a favourable reference of the Devil in the House of Commons." Winston Churchill
        Terry

Comment

Originally posted by big_teee View Post
          Is that why they sound better in the Kitchen?
          In the kitchen, I'm the kitchen cynic.
          This isn't the future I signed up for.

Comment

I doubt you could get 8000 turns of 43 on there but you wouldnt be able to get 8 k of 43 on there either, the ohms would be lower per turn.
            If you dont have 44 just put as much 43 on as you can, it wont be the same but it will work. They are not exactly the most consistant pickup in the world- a large portion are 10 to 11K but youll also see 8.5 k and a range of resistance, then there are versions with alnico magnets with about half as many turns on them with 42 gauge. So anything you can do could be acceptable i suppose.

Comment

For the photographically finicky, before I rewind it later tonight:

Click image for larger version

Name:	lBwr0Jal.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	28.0 KB
ID:	832515

Name:	PEPZytql.jpg
Size:	30.6 KB
ID:	832516

Name:	dXm4NT7l.jpg
Size:	26.7 KB
ID:	832517

Comment

Got a bug up my ass right after these pics so stripped the bobbin and rewound. A tiny pit of the mag flaked off during stripping. There is nothing that is not delicate about this (and these) pickups.

Jason was right (obviously). I got 6400 winds of 43 awg before the sides of the coil were starting to slip off. I have to tape it well to secure it. Freshly wound in an office that's a chilly 63*, it's 7.5k.

Not nearly as hot as I hoped but I'll have to wait to hear how it sound until I can get it on the archtop it's intended for.

Edit: OK, it's a cold night here in Minneapolis without much to do. So, wound the pickup, assembled the pickup (no potting), and taped it to the guitar it's going into. Plenty of output. I can say nothing else. It was far from the strings and, well, taped on. But it is at least plenty hot and plenty strong. First impressions - not at all bright. Would be in the bridge but even in the middle position very smooth and warm.
                Last edited by jrdamien; 02-22-2014, 05:06 AM.

Comment

they are finiky to work on- so yours must have had the rubberized magnet if it flaked. I had one on the bench last week with an alnico bar and 42 gauge- slightly different foil pattern so they are all over the place- not as transparent sounding as the "coodercaster" type teisco gold foil, these are typically a little more on the dark side- slightly but as mentioned they are not very consistant

Comment

Hey all. Any input on the distance to the strings that's ideal for a gold foil?

Comment

What are the actual dimensions of that flexible magnet?

Comment

Working...
                      X