Anyone have expeirience with these

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone have expeirience with these

Just need to know about Mini Humbuckers.

A customer requested a set of minis from me and I dont make them at all. Well he wont go to anyone else, basically he said he will scrap the whole mini idea and go with regulars just to get them from me. Anyhoo, I dont make them and dont intend to after this set, what a pain in the butt they are to assemble.

Question: I want the bridge to be about 7.5 and the neck about 6.5, got the neck done at 6.5 with 42, no way can I fit that much on there for the bridge at 7.5 with 42 I dont think. 3.5 is about all I can fit on a bobbin with 42. I dont want to use 43 because to me the bobbin looks way too empty with 43. Whats the deal, anybody got any suggestions on what wire to wind these with. I have the wind I want to use but making it work is another matter.

Thanks for any info.

The Bad News: As you have just discovered, you have to use 43 wire to get significantly higher than 6.5k.

The Good News: Though the DCR reading will be different, you can get about the same output as a 7.5k with 42 wire if you wind the 43 up to the 9.5 to 10.0k range.

Alternative: There is 42.5 wire, but obviously you'd have to buy a huge spool of it -- not of much use after you make this set, unless you change your mind about making mini's.

Originally posted by madialex View Post
    Just need to know about Mini Humbuckers.

A customer requested a set of minis from me and I dont make them at all. Well he wont go to anyone else, basically he said he will scrap the whole mini idea and go with regulars just to get them from me. Anyhoo, I dont make them and dont intend to after this set, what a pain in the butt they are to assemble.

Question: I want the bridge to be about 7.5 and the neck about 6.5, got the neck done at 6.5 with 42, no way can I fit that much on there for the bridge at 7.5 with 42 I dont think. 3.5 is about all I can fit on a bobbin with 42. I dont want to use 43 because to me the bobbin looks way too empty with 43. Whats the deal, anybody got any suggestions on what wire to wind these with. I have the wind I want to use but making it work is another matter.

Thanks for any info.

Comment

Hmmmm

What bobbins are you using? Heres the gibson concept:The coils are sideways, with a 5mm ceramic wedged between, with barstock inside the coils.....Some concept huh? Maybe you should make an upright out of Forbon. Skinny tall coils....or blades?
      Attached Files

Comment

Are you shure these are Gibson minis? I had an offer to buy some Gibson minis at a fair (the guy in the boot next to me didn't want to take them home again) and IIRC they were not made like that. And I clearly remember seeing minis with one row of exposed ploe srceews. Maybee they are from a Firebird? If so they are made quite different from the ones used in the LP Deluxe

Comment

Opps, your totally right peter, they are from a firebird. My mistake...LOL, I'm looking at the bird now!!Me!

Comment

Cool. It is the first time i see the inside of a firebird pickup. That explains the very special sound of the firebirds.

Do you have the possibilities to share some measurements. According to some info I got Gibson used an A2 magnet, but that looks like a ceramic magnet for sure. The same source claimed that the firebird pickups were 4250 turns per coil and 3.5 Kohms per coil. Once again the same source claimed the Gibson minis to have 4250 turns on the coils too. Is it possible that Gibson used the same bobins for the minis and the firebirds?

Comment

Originally posted by NightWinder View Post
              What bobbins are you using? Heres the gibson concept:The coils are sideways, with a 5mm ceramic wedged between, with barstock inside the coils.....Some concept huh? Maybe you should make an upright out of Forbon. Skinny tall coils....or blades?
              Does this mean the firebird PUs are sidewinders like the old EB0 and Grabber bass PUs?

How old is the Pickup on your photo?

Comment

Sure, but as you can see on the top, they dropped epoxy in the cover prior to, but did not fill it? Why, other that filling an air gap? I know it came out of an original fire bird, but not sure as to what yr? I could ask. I haven't unhooked the leads, to take any measurements....the total Dcr is 6.27k. I'd suspect its right at 6.20k, considering the heat in the house at the moment. There is no slug, or screw center shafts, so its unlikely to be the same bobbins as the "minis" like you stated earlier. I'll take some measurements in a few, but give me a little bit, I have other stuff to get done, before this. Man, Sucks!! I thought I was really gonna help out, and had the wrong pickup!!HAHA
                I think its pretty old. I'll know later for sure. Sorry I couldn't be of more help to ya MAd.

Comment

I don't mean to budge here but, does anyone know suppliers for parts for mini's... I am seeking a quality supplier of Mini parts to make them?

Comment

I got mine from Allparts. They often have a lot of stuff not on their site. Give them a call and ask.

Comment

I emailed allparts about 1 month back and they replied with No we don't carry parts for Mini's.... I sent another Email today and should know tomorrow.

Comment

The patent number on the baseplate is the number of Les Paul's tailpiece patent!!

http://www.pat2pdf.org/patents/pat2737842.pdf

Comment

Originally posted by rocket View Post
                          Does this mean the firebird PUs are sidewinders like the old EB0 and Grabber bass PUs?
                          Yes... The firebird/thunderbird pickups were designed by Bill Lawrence. He states in the patent that the coils are inductors only, as they are magnetically neutral. Very odd pickups.

The EB-0 sidewinder was designed by Seth Lover. I'm not sure what was in the Grabber, but the Ripper was a smaller version of the sidewinder.

Bill Lawrence was working for Gibson at the time of all those wacky guitars, like the L6-S, Marauder, S1, G-3, etc. Lawrence designed all those. Lawrence was probably involved with the Ripper L9-S as well.
                          It would be possible to describe everything scientifically, but it would make no sense; it would be without meaning, as if you described a Beethoven symphony as a variation of wave pressure. — Albert Einstein

http://coneyislandguitars.com
                          www.soundcloud.com/davidravenmoon

Comment

This is really odd, i was sure that the Firebird PU is just a Deluxe/minihumbucker PU without visible polpieces, maybe with blades.

And I was thinking to build side winder PUs for my Firebird ('97)!!
                            Funny that it might already have them!

However I am not quite sure if the new firebirds also have this PU design or just normal minihumbuckers. The DC resistance is 14k rather 6.5k so probably Nightwinder's example is an older one.

I am not quite sure if I dare to pull the PUs apart.

Comment

The firebird pickup that I took apart did not have the coils turned on their sides. It did have two blade (magnets) though.

Comment

Working...
                              X