Anybody part with a small bit of 43 awg

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anybody part with a small bit of 43 awg

A friend of mine wants to try and get a tele bridge sound out of a strat pickup (he doesn't want to butcher his strat and put a tele in the bridge). Has anybody wound a strat bobbin with 43 and put a base plate on it? If so, anywhere near a tele? Still would like to buy a small bit of 43 to try, unless somebody is willing to wind a strat bobbing with 43 to about 8k and sell me that?
    www.chevalierpickups.com

I have heard a Strat with the pickups using brass plates under the pickups. It wasn't exactly a Tele sound, but probably more Tele than Strat. I was pretty surprised just the plate made that much difference, but it did.

Cheers
    My Momma always said, Stultus est sicut stultus facit

Comment

Originally posted by JJGross View Post
      I have heard a Strat with the pickups using brass plates under the pickups. It wasn't exactly a Tele sound, but probably more Tele than Strat. I was pretty surprised just the plate made that much difference, but it did.
      I've seen those... brass? That's a big waste of a plate!

Stick a steel plate under the pickup. The plate focuses the magnetic field and makes the pickup brighter and louder. Brass can't do that.
      It would be possible to describe everything scientifically, but it would make no sense; it would be without meaning, as if you described a Beethoven symphony as a variation of wave pressure. — Albert Einstein

http://coneyislandguitars.com
      www.soundcloud.com/davidravenmoon

Comment

NObody has a partial roll of 43? Don't make me go to Stewmac!! PLEASE!
        www.chevalierpickups.com

Comment

Originally posted by chevalij View Post
          NObody has a partial roll of 43? Don't make me go to Stewmac!! PLEASE!
          I have a partial roll from Stew-Mac! Not sure how much is on it. Might not be enough for a Strat.
          It would be possible to describe everything scientifically, but it would make no sense; it would be without meaning, as if you described a Beethoven symphony as a variation of wave pressure. — Albert Einstein

Comment

Do you know anyone who commutes semi-regularly from Ottawa to Guelph? There is a surplus/junk place here where you can buy many types/gauges of magnet wire, from #38 on up to #43 for $4/lb. Trouble is, they are moving to new premises in September. I can save you some if you're in the neighbourhood, or have a buddy who can bring it down. Shipping it, though, starts to add up to what Stew-Mac would charge you.

Comment

Originally posted by JJGross View Post

Cheers
              try steel baseplates.

BTW, why did your mama talk in Latin? Just some fool wondering.....
              sigpic Dyed in the wool

Comment

For those prices I'd pick it up. It's only about a 4.5 hr drive and I have relatives in Montreal. I'd make a weekend out of it. Can you be more specific on what they have? Insulation types etc? Or do they have a bit of everything?

Originally posted by Mark Hammer View Post
                Do you know anyone who commutes semi-regularly from Ottawa to Guelph? There is a surplus/junk place here where you can buy many types/gauges of magnet wire, from #38 on up to #43 for $4/lb. Trouble is, they are moving to new premises in September. I can save you some if you're in the neighbourhood, or have a buddy who can bring it down. Shipping it, though, starts to add up to what Stew-Mac would charge you.
                www.chevalierpickups.com

Comment

They have two very large industrial (figure 6' x 6' x 4' high) cardboard boxes of rolls of wire from various companies in various gauges sitting on palettes. You have to sift through it, but I found found a nice roll of Electrosola #42 the other day so there's still stuff there. The place is called Cohen's and they are at (roughly) 1965 Merivale Road in Ottawa (I'll let you do the Mapquesting). Roughly one hour from the 401 if you know what you're doing.

Alternatively, if you can wait a couple of weeks, I have a friend coming up from Oakville for a visit and I can send back a roll with him and you can pay him for it. Or if you can wait a little longer, I'm driving down to Hamilton around the 29th. No need to bore others with the details, though. PM me at mhammer@marketbridge.ca

Comment

Originally posted by Spence View Post
                    try steel baseplates.

BTW, why did your mama talk in Latin? Just some fool wondering.....
                    Mothers should always say: "Brevior saltare cum deformibus mulieribus est vita"

Denuone Latine loquebar?

Comment

They have two very large industrial (figure 6' x 6' x 4' high) cardboard boxes of rolls of wire from various companies in various gauges sitting on palettes. You have to sift through it, but I found found a nice roll of Electrosola #42 the other day so there's still stuff there. The place is called Cohen's and they are at (roughly) 1965 Merivale Road in Ottawa (I'll let you do the Mapquesting). Roughly one hour from the 401 if you know what you're doing.

Alternatively, if you can wait a couple of weeks, I have a friend coming up from Oakville for a visit and I can send back a roll with him and you can pay him for it. Or if you can wait a little longer, I'm driving down to Hamilton around the 29th. No need to bore others with the details, though. PM me at mhammer@marketbridge.ca

Comment

Originally posted by David Schwab View Post
                        I've seen those... brass? That's a big waste of a plate!

Stick a steel plate under the pickup. The plate focuses the magnetic field and makes the pickup brighter and louder. Brass can't do that.
                        Dave's right -- but God do they squeal like crazy! Fralin makes a Strat baseplate of what appears to be galvanized steel that they sell for $10 a pop and I bought a few to try out. I didn't buy anymore because no amount of wax between it and the pu would stop the squeal.

Tele baseplates are a little squeal-prone too but not nearly as much, and I'm guessing because they are bigger and heavier so it takes more volume to get them vibrating. So maybe a 1/4" thick steel plate for the Strat would be heavy enough...?

Comment

1/4" plate! I won't be able to get the pickup under the pickguard From what I know of SOME plates, they pot the pickup with the plate on. This should deaden any vibration. Of course, this may all change the minute I do it.
                          www.chevalierpickups.com

Comment

Working...
                          X