41.5 SPE

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 41.5 SPE

Anyone got any that they'd want to sell? Looking for a half pound or so. Message me.

cheers,
    Jack Briggs

sigpic
    www.briggsguitars.com

forum.briggsguitars.com

I tried to buy some, from the wire vendors.
    I was told that it has to be bought in very large roll quanities.
    I don't know anyone that's had any.
    Maybe Jason or some of the bigger winders, have had some.
    41.5, and 42.5 would be interesting to try.
    T
    "If Hitler invaded Hell, I would make at least a favourable reference of the Devil in the House of Commons." Winston Churchill
    Terry

Comment

Originally posted by big_teee View Post
      I tried to buy some, from the wire vendors.
      I was told that it has to be bought in very large roll quanities.
      I don't know anyone that's had any.
      Maybe Jason or some of the bigger winders, have had some.
      41.5, and 42.5 would be interesting to try.
      T
      yeah Terry,

MWS said min. 60#! And about 1.5 times the price 42!

cheers,
      Jack Briggs

sigpic
      www.briggsguitars.com

forum.briggsguitars.com

Comment

1.1 Lbs on Amazon at $99

Comment

Originally posted by Lyrebird Steve View Post
          Oh, that's a bit pricy!

1.53 lbs of 42 is $32.20.
          It would be possible to describe everything scientifically, but it would make no sense; it would be without meaning, as if you described a Beethoven symphony as a variation of wave pressure. — Albert Einstein

http://coneyislandguitars.com
          www.soundcloud.com/davidravenmoon

Comment

that's SPN, not SPE - but thanks, anyway.

cheers,
            Jack Briggs

sigpic
            www.briggsguitars.com

forum.briggsguitars.com

Comment

Have you tried the 42 PE in a Nom/Max, instead of Min/Nom?
              I have a roll of the 42 Nom/Max, and it is pretty big for 42.
              MWS carries the Nom/Max, or they did last I tlaked to them.
              Wanting it in PE, even makes it much harder to find.
              T
              "If Hitler invaded Hell, I would make at least a favourable reference of the Devil in the House of Commons." Winston Churchill
              Terry

Comment

Originally posted by jack briggs View Post
                that's SPN, not SPE - but thanks, anyway.

cheers,
                Just a word of caution for anyone considering using that MSS wire. I recently tried a roll of #44 SE from them. It was horrible. The reason I tried it is I'd like to find some #44 PE but so far no luck on that. I rewind some of the old DeArmond pickups fairly often and have been using Elektrisola #44 PN155 for it but I thought I would try some of the MSS wire because it looked in the advertisement to be a little darker color and it is a single enamel type (Single Esterson) so I paid a exorbitant price to get a 1 lb roll of this. The first problem was that it had been re-spooled on to some kind of a little nylon spool that obviously was never intended for magnet wire. One end of the spool had a giant notch molded in so the wire couldn't flow off of that end. The other end had so many nicks in the nylon that I had to sand it down to smooth it enough to even use the wire at all. The next thing was it wasn't brown as advertised, it was natural colored, not any closer to what I wanted than the PN155. But I rewound a gold foil pickup with it and it did what it was supposed to do that time. So I figured I could eventually use it up. The next DeArmond that came in to rewind was a Moustache type. So I got out that roll and tried to use it. The problem was that I got what appeared to me to be internal shorts no matter how many different tensions etc. that I tried. I wasted a whole day fooling with the stuff. I wound that moustache three times. Got different ohms each time and never what I wanted to get. Finally I got tired of fooling with it and re threaded my winder with the old standby #44 PN155 and got it right on the first try. I now am a bit worried that the one pickup that I sent out with this wire might not be that reliable. I don't know if it was the type of insulation or the re-spooling but I will never again use any MSS wire of any sort if I can help it, and I would not recommend their SE wire at all.

ps. I guess I ought to make it clear that MSS (Magnetic Sensor Systems) is a completely different company than MWS Wire Industries. I wouldn't want anyone thinking I was dissing MWS they are a good supplier, and I have never had any problem with any of their wire at all.
                Last edited by SonnyW; 07-12-2014, 04:40 PM. Reason: added note
                www.sonnywalton.com
                How many guitars do you need? Just one more.

Comment

Sonny - I agree with you about MWS. I've been buying from them and I think their PE wire is good. The quote I got from them on the 41.5 (non-stocked) was over $35/lb and they won't do less than 60 lbs. I'm hoping someone has some that they don't use and can spool off 1/4-1/2 lb for me to test with.

cheers,
                  Jack Briggs

sigpic
                  www.briggsguitars.com

forum.briggsguitars.com

Comment

I have had good experiences with MWS too.
                    =============================================

Keep Winding...Keep Playing!!!

Jim

Comment

Working...
                    X