No announcement yet.

Wal Bass Pickups?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Too many bobbins, and too high a prices for my hobby status.
    I will cut them out of forbon and drill with a drill press.
    I only need 8 bobbins to start, and want holes for either .195, .205, or maybe .250" diameter rod magnets.
    I may initially try leaving the bobbin tops and bottoms square instead of round.
    T
    Last edited by big_teee; 12-22-2014, 05:33 PM.
    "If Hitler invaded Hell, I would make at least a favourable reference of the Devil in the House of Commons." Winston Churchill
    Terry

Comment

Originally posted by big_teee View Post
      Chris:
      Were yours using Rod magnets, and if so what diameter.
      I'm considering making a 8 multicoil with the bobbins wound on either .195, or .250" rod magnets?
      Thanks in advance,
      T
      I hadn't used rod magnets in mine, though that was the plan if I were to get the bobbins through CosmoCorp.

Comment

.250 are fine. I can fit 10000 rounds over an 8mm bobbin on an adjustable pole bobbin.

Comment

Another option is to cast the parts you need from polyurethane in silicone molds. That's how I make all my bobbins and parts. You can make washers to the exact size that you want, or half bobbins (a washer with half of the center sleeve). Square ends, round ends, whatever fits your design. Make up the Master one time, make a mold from it, and then pour the bobbins whenever you need them. The polyurethane takes about 15 minutes to cure. It can be drilled, filed, glued as needed.

Comment

Originally posted by Marko Ursin View Post
            .250 are fine. I can fit 10000 rounds over an 8mm bobbin on an adjustable pole bobbin.
            I like that!
            on casting parts.
            I just want to make a protype, and I'll just do that with handmade parts.
            When I make mine, I'm going to lay it out in the B/H area, where large scale Mass production isn't presumed.
            Thanks Everyone,
            T
            Last edited by big_teee; 12-22-2014, 07:27 PM.
            "If Hitler invaded Hell, I would make at least a favourable reference of the Devil in the House of Commons." Winston Churchill
            Terry

Comment

I am rather sure you can find some phenolic washers that would do the job. If not, you can also buy a length of phenolic tubing with the desired inner and outer diameter and slice them to thickness.

Has anyone looked into tattoo gun coil bobbins? I know they use a one magnet wound coil, but am unsure what diameter that magnet is.

Comment

Now We are Cooking! 5/16 x 3/4 x 1/16" washers, $11.00 a hundred.
                Tattoo Machine Coil Core Washers
                Terry

Comment

You should be able to find similar ones with a .250" hole.

Comment

5/16, are standard tattoo size coils.
                    didn't see anything for 1/4".
                    **Edit
                    Since the 5/16 x 3/4 x 1/16 forbon washers are available everywhere, maybe we need bigger magnets.
                    I think I'll email shea at magnetic Hold, and see about either 5/16, or 8mm magnets.
                    The 8 mm would be just a little larger than 5/16, and would press into the fiber washers.
                    So what about maybe a 8mm x .710 in either a A5, A6, or A8 magnet.
                    2 x forbon washers = .125 + .450 between the washers, that leaves .135" to get through the cover , and just a bit extra.
                    T
                    Last edited by big_teee; 12-23-2014, 06:55 PM.
                    Terry

Comment

A 5/16" magnet seems like a reasonable plan if you're talking about a bass pickup. I'd wait until you get the washers in hand and see how close they are on the i.d. You might want an 8mm magnet for a tighter fit (and 8mm might be a more common size too.)

Comment

I'm just piddling around in my hobby status, but If we can get the ball rolling?
                        With readily available washers, readily available magnets, then anyone would have a green light to make multicoils.
                        Another thing is the cover If it can all be put in a MusicMan cover then the machining would be at a minimum.
                        A MM cover I think has holes .400" in diameter. so the 8mm would be sloppy, but could fit in a predrilled MM cover.
                        Maybe use some small O-rings on the top of the magnets to tighten up the cover?
                        My next question is what length do the magnets need to be, and what grade?
                        I think somewhere around .710" would work?
                        T
                        Terry

Comment

Why not use closed MM covers?
                          If I couldn't make the bobbin plates myself I'd sure try to find a place that could laser or water cut them. That should be pretty cheap I guess. At least in a bit bigger quantities than for one or two pickups.

Comment

Because I don't know a cheap place to buy them.
                            I can get the drilled covers cheap.
                            But that is a cosmetic thing that can be worked out after the pickups are built and perfected.
                            Can use a regular one to test with.
                            Was trying to get this layed out so it is just an assembly process, no machining.
                            There will enough work making the bobbins and the bobbin plate.
                            You can saw out the bobbin plate fairly easy.
                            So do straight A5s work best or should they be something else.
                            As far as 5/16 vs 8 mm they are nearly the same.
                            5/16 is .3125" and 8mm is .3149".
                            T
                            **edit
                            If we went to 3/8 inch (.375) washers and magnets then they would be a near fit to the MM predrilled cover.
                            The 3/8 magnets could be used for both MM, and Multicoils?
                            Last edited by big_teee; 12-23-2014, 06:42 PM.
                            Terry

Comment

Originally posted by big_teee View Post
                              Because I don't know a cheap place to buy them.
                              I can get the drilled covers cheap.
                              But that is a cosmetic thing that can be worked out after the pickups are built and perfected.
                              Can use a regular one to test with.
                              Was trying to get this layed out so it is just an assembly process, no machining.
                              There will enough work making the bobbins and the bobbin plate.
                              You can saw out the bobbin plate fairly easy.
                              So do straight A5s work best or should they be something else.
                              As far as 5/16 vs 8 mm they are nearly the same.
                              5/16 is .3125" and 8mm is .3149".
                              T
                              **edit
                              If we went to 3/8 inch (.375) washers and magnets then they would be a near fit to the MM predrilled cover.
                              The 3/8 magnets could be used for both MM, and Multicoils?

What I found on Ebay:

3/8" Phenolic Washers - 100 for $16.99

3/8" X 3/4" Alnico Rods - 16 for $47.84

Match made in heaven?

The only potential "problem" with using 3/4" O.D. washers, of course, is that for a neck pickup, the pole/string spacing match gets off by quite a bit. Though with 3/8" poles, maybe it's not an issue at all.

Comment

Originally posted by Chris Turner View Post
                                What I found on Ebay:

3/8" Phenolic Washers - 100 for $16.99

3/8" X 3/4" Alnico Rods - 16 for $47.84

Match made in heaven?

The only potential "problem" with using 3/4" O.D. washers, of course, is that for a neck pickup, the pole/string spacing match gets off by quite a bit. Though with 3/8" poles, maybe it's not an issue at all.
                                Here are some more magnets Alnico 5 Rod Magnet 375 x 1" Magnetized 10 Pieces | eBay

Now I'm interested in making a Wal copy.

LowNote

Comment

Working...
                                X