No announcement yet.

I built smaller, under-wound "Wide Range Humbucker"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm completely happy with the neck pickup after many experiments and a few different builds!

So far, I didn't like my 7.9k/3.6H A5/A4 rod humbucker as well as I would have liked. It sounded great distorted, but I wasn't a fan of the clean tones. I tend to like standard tele neck pickups, so I'm going to try and get in that ball park.

Comment

I've been happy with the neck pickup for a while, but have yet to make a bridge version that I like very well. I tried one like the neck but wound to 7.0K instead of 6.2K and its just okay clean. I'm not sure how much of this is me just never having liked bridge pickups much anyway...any ideas for someone who doesn't mesh with bridge pickups?

Comment

Maybe try setting up the 3/3 pole arrangement so the bass strings are rearward poles and the treble strings are forward?
        "Take two placebos, works twice as well." Enzo

"Now get off my lawn with your silicooties and boom-chucka speakers and computers masquerading as amplifiers" Justin Thomas

"If you're not interested in opinions and the experience of others, why even start a thread?
        You can't just expect consent." Helmholtz

Comment

Originally posted by Chuck H View Post
          Maybe try setting up the 3/3 pole arrangement so the bass strings are rearward poles and the treble strings are forward?
          I think that would make what I dislike worse, given that I'm not getting enough really low frequencies out of the lower strings. Hmm.

Comment

Originally posted by Bradley Perry View Post
            I think that would make what I dislike worse, given that I'm not getting enough really low frequencies out of the lower strings. Hmm.
            I suppose it's a player thing. Every one has a different take. Maybe if you just did the 3/3 thing, use lower power magnets and overwind the balance would be there? One pickup certainly isn't going to be right for every location. But it's still about balance for most players. Just thinking out loud and NOT a pickup designer.
            "Take two placebos, works twice as well." Enzo

"Now get off my lawn with your silicooties and boom-chucka speakers and computers masquerading as amplifiers" Justin Thomas

"If you're not interested in opinions and the experience of others, why even start a thread?
            You can't just expect consent." Helmholtz

Comment

I always liked underwound neck pickups, and overwound bridge pickups.
              You can go with A2, or A3 for bridge pickups if you want to warm them up.
              If 42 is too bright, try some 43 wire with more turns, looking for the sweet spot.
              A concentric tone control with a separate larger tone cap for the bridge P/U will help.
              T
              "If Hitler invaded Hell, I would make at least a favourable reference of the Devil in the House of Commons." Winston Churchill
              Terry

Comment

Originally posted by big_teee View Post
                I always liked underwound neck pickups, and overwound bridge pickups.
                You can go with A2, or A3 for bridge pickups if you want to warm them up.
                If 42 is too bright, try some 43 wire with more turns, looking for the sweet spot.
                A concentric tone control with a separate larger tone cap for the bridge P/U will help.
                T
                Good ideas. I'll try some A2 mags first in this pickup to get an idea of how it will effect the sound, then go from there. I'll try 43AWG and next if I'm not feeling close enough to the target. I'm using Poly Nylon wire on these right now, which to me sounds very similar to Formvar. I haven't tried Plain Enamel.

Comment

I use SPN, and HPN Poly for everything.
                  Brown PE is harder for me to see & wind, & it costs a lot.
                  T
                  "If Hitler invaded Hell, I would make at least a favourable reference of the Devil in the House of Commons." Winston Churchill
                  Terry

Comment

A2 rods weren't doing it for me, so I put the A5 ones back in. Then I threw an A8 underneath/inbetween the pole pieces. I'm going to pull it out and check the effect it had on the inductance in a bit, but so far I'm liking it quite a bit. I wonder how much is due to the A8 and how much has to do with me finding a proper height...hmmm.

Comment

I've been really impressed with A8 and the feedback I'm getting on the builds with it has been really great. There's a nice crisp cut to the tone, without it being over bearing.

Comment

Originally posted by 12xu View Post
                        I've been really impressed with A8 and the feedback I'm getting on the builds with it has been really great. There's a nice crisp cut to the tone, without it being over bearing.
                        Well, my newest expiment is a Full Range "Hybrid" type of pickup. I'm going to go with a 5/2 magnet mix on the treble side with magnetized rods, and use an A8 bar magent underneath that charges slugs on the other side. We'll see how it goes!

Comment

I finally recorded some clips comparing the "Full Range" pickups I built to some other pickups. I posted a thread on the Seymour Duncan forums. Their forums are well set up for posting clips.

Finally some "Full Range" Pickup Clips

Comment

Any more experimenting with your FRHBs?

Comment

What happens when you bend the g string on a 3+3 configuration? Is there any "dead" spot?

Comment

Originally posted by Jason Rodgers View Post
                                Any more experimenting with your FRHBs?
                                I eventually came up with a bridge pickup that I felt paired really well with the neck one. I don't have any audio demos of it. It is wound quite a bit hotter. I have the specs for the final version of both listed on my website: Full Range Humbuckers - Silver Hand Pickups

I also posted a Tourbox (free gear demo people mail to each consecutive participant) on The Gear Page, if you want to sign up for that an play with them for a bit yourself to cure any curiosity:
                                TOURBOX: Silver Hand Pickups 'Full Range Humbuckers' | The Gear Page

Originally posted by Alberto View Post
                                What happens when you bend the g string on a 3+3 configuration? Is there any "dead" spot?
                                Nope! Just like on a P Bass or G&L Z coil pickup, the distance between the coils is far enough to prevent a dead spot.

Comment

Working...
                                X